“Fun hiking and healthy living!”

Appalachian Trail Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Killington
More attraction details
Owner description: Appalachian Trail Adventures is a hiking spa that provides daily guided hikes, caving and kayaking throughout the Green Mountains of Vermont for adventurist of all abilities on the Appalachian Trail. ATA's all inclusive Hiking Vacation consists of an air conditioned room with three daily meals, snacks, guided novice, intermediate or advanced hike and afternoon kayaking, caving or an excursion. ATA also provides daily customized group or private guided hikes, kayaking and caving throughout the Green Mountains of Vermont for hikers of all abilities. With over 20 years of experience, we have chosen trails with the best scenic mountain vistas, waterfalls, historical features and lakes. In the fall, we offer some of the most spectacular foliage hiking in New England.
Nashville, TN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun hiking and healthy living!”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

ATA was a wonderful, affordable find. I have always wanted to go to a health spa for vacation but found most of them somewhat intimidating, and out of my price range. The Grey Bonnet Inn is the “base camp” for ATA and is a quaint, older inn with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. The rooms provide no frills but very clean accommodations. The innkeeper and staff are warm and hospitable and provide exceptional service and prompt response to any special request; they also make you feel like you are part of the family.
I took part in the Healthy Living Program which included hiking and yoga everyday. All of the meals were included and the food was very good. I ordered the spa portion since weight loss was part of my healthy living goal and never felt hungry.
John and his experienced, knowledgeable (and very nice, fun-loving) staff offered spectacular hikes at all levels. The groups were small which allowed for flexibility in daily plans. John offered several options and let everyone decide what they wanted to do. It was amazing how he was able to customize the hiking experience for each guest in the group.
The yoga instructors were absolutely wonderful and they too were able to offer individual attention to all levels of student. I highly recommend the yoga after a hike! I also met with a personal trainer who was wonderful in helping to design a comprehensive exercise approach that is portable and not dependent on being in a gym.
I added a session with a registered dietician along with a cooking demonstration as a la carte features. It was very helpful to take advantage of her knowledge and expertise in a casual, non-intimidating atmosphere and to get a personal analysis of how to proceed with my health and weight loss goals and exercise routine. The cooking demo was great fun and delicious.
I wanted a structured, health focused visit and I am extremely satisfied with my overall experience. There were other guests there who mainly wanted the hiking experience with more flexibility in their daily schedules, and they seemed very happy as well.
I was there 5 nights and wanted to stay longer. The ATA staff sends you away with new friends, good memories and lots of encouragement. I would like to return again.

1 Thank HealthyHiker1

New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the best trips I've ever taken...”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

If you're looking for a hiking trip in New England with an intimate setting and personalized approach, ATA is the perfect program: The price point is amazing; the hikes fantastic; and the guides knowledgeable and lovely, and the staff at the ATA and at the inn to be accommodating and flexible. The amenities are fantastic for the price. The inn is quaint, and the food healthy and delicious. I was surprised to find an indoor pool (open until 10 or 11 at night), sauna and whirlpool; a beautifully maintained garden, along with an outdoor pool and tennis court. Whether or not you have a car, the inn is centrally located within walking distance to shops (about a 10-15 walk, which is really close for the Killington-area), should you forget something; as is picturesque Kent pond (up the road about 400 yards) and additional hiking trails (behind the inn). For hiking enthusiasts, it should be noted that you are staying right off the Appalachian and Long Trails.. without the foot traffic. The guides are extremely well-practiced. Each one was able to give pointers to experienced hikers, as well as to beginners. I'm fairly athletic and have been hiking for years and nonetheless learned to improve my technical skills within a couple of hikes. Speaking with other guests, who were self-professed beginners, I found that they shared my thoughts. The guides live in the area and know it well, including the different types of plants and trees along the trails, which particularly impressed me. The personalized attention was a real plus. It's a 1 on 1 or 1 on 2/3 experience, guide to guest. The hikes are tailored to ability. The guides are flexible should you be tired or not as able on a particular day. (For example, you could start a longer hike and if you tire, the hike will be shortened for you without loss of "the experience", for e.g., by omitting a particular loop or trail.) If you've done a particular hike in the past, including by yourself, the ATA are happy to take you elsewhere-- actually, all I had to do was mention that I knew a particular trail and the guides insisted on taking me somewhere new. The program includes additional excursions, which are free or at nominal cost . So I found myself as busy as I wanted -- some days taking it easy after the hike -- which, at one's preference can last a couple of hours, or 4-6, depending on your pace and how much you want to hike. While the guides aim to get you back to the inn at 2 or 4 pm (since it's an early start), they will recommend additional hiking or excursions for those who want to be out and about all day. Having hiked all over the world, by myself and with different groups, I give ATA the highest of marks; I had more fun than on many of the more expensive trips I've taken. And I went by myself.

2 Thank LaurenInNewYork
Austin, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Hiking Vacation!”
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I booked my vacation with ATA having been bitten by the hiking bug on a vacation to Utah in 2008. This was by far my best vacation ever. John and the rest of the ATA guides took great care of me and the other guests who were there at the same time. The hikes were tailored to the fitness of each of the guests and each of the five hikes I took was unique in its own way. ATA also provided additional excursions after the hiking that were interesting and enjoyable as well, from the Vermont Maple Museum to the Vermont Institute of Natural Science. Yoga, massages and other amenities are provided upon request and the ATA staff will help set up other excursions such as horseback riding and tubing as well. Grey Bonnet Inn is a quaint New England Inn that provided good quality of food, pools and a hot tub, and comfortable setting to stay in the midst of the beautiful Vermont scenery. I felt like I had made a new group of friends by the end of my vacation and definitely want to make plans to return next year. I would highly ATA for anyone who wants to go hiking in a beautiful location and doesn't want to do it alone. Thanks ATA for a wonderful vacation!

1 Thank KareninAustin
MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A GREAT ADVENTURE”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Last July my wife and I had a wonderful 4 days at Appalachian Trail Adventures in the Killington area of Vermont. We spent our days outdoors hiking all kinds of terrain. The staff at the Grey Bonnet Inn where we stayed were very accommodating. Food was good and healthy. Bring your walking shoes, your camera, your spirit, and some insect repellent. What we liked the best were the all day hikes. Our least favorite, the insects. We are going back in July. Last year was the beginning of a great adventure at Appalachian Trail Adventures!

1 Thank fradomac