“Good but Pricey :-)?”

Hearth & Candle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was a nice break from my own cooking. Service was excellent. Restaurant is smallish to medium size. Portion sizes were sufficient, but there was not enough left over to ask for a doggy-bag :-).

It's been a long time since I've ordered cheese cake. The portion that I was served was a lot smaller than the slices that I've been served in New York area restaurants. And, it wasn't as good as I might expect to get at Costco's.

There are newer reviews for Hearth & Candle

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food here has varied from absolutely wonderful to disappointing. Fortunately, the food is usually on the excellent side. The menu is very creative and the food is beautifully presented. Mostly local grown or raised foods are presented. The atmosphere is upscale ski lodge, yet kids abound. The kids menu is very plain, typical and disappointing - but the little ones need their fried food while the adults can enjoy some "real food".

1  Thank nach09
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is the "fancy" restaurant at Smuggs. They do a good job, but I wasn't blown away. I wish it weren't so dark (we were in the cellar room). The food was good but not spectacular. My duck breast still had that layer of fat on it which should be rendered off when cooked just right. Prices on the higher side in my view.

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We came here during a visit to smugglers notch because it was in walking distance to our room. Next time we will definitely get in the car and drive elsewhere.
While the menu sounded good, the execution was not. Caesar salad was grilled which sounded interesting but when it arrived it was burned on one side and completely flavorless. The wedge salad had chunks of bacon that were too chewy and the blue cheese tasted like bottled dressing. Kids meals no better than the deli next door and were really small portions. For an average of $25-30 per entree, I would have expected better.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Dinner with my spouse last week ranged from excellent (seafood chowder...after it was sent back to be heated properly) to fair (pork confit appetizer...2/3 fried fat) to good (salmon was average and properly cooked) to poor (only regular coffee!). We also agree with the previous risotto comment in that it was way too heavy.
Service was pleasant and generally helpful
Prices are not inexpensive, but far from outrageous as some have claimed