“What a change”
Review of Jay Peak Resort

Jay Peak Resort
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I skied here many years ago and it was kind of a "find" - great powder for an east coast resort, reasonable prices and not too much traffic. The lifts were a little basic, but it was all about the skiing. It's changed completely - it now has a water park, new lift and of course significant real estate development. I'm sure there will be plenty of fans of Jay that hate the change, but for someone who has probably "matured" at a similar pace, I can take the swap of a little less authenticity for a few more amenities. I sold out!

1  Thank Jim R
in 29 reviews
in 49 reviews
in 62 reviews

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is the second year in a row that we have spent our March vacation at Jay Peak. Both times we have stayed in ski in/ski out condos, skied 3 days and spent time in the water park. The condos were perfect for my family's needs, the mountain had a great variety of runs and the water park was a great way to spend the hours between the close of the chairlift and bedtime. For a well-priced family ski trip, we haven't been able to come close to our experience at Jay.

2  Thank Boys_Mom553
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We visited in April so we missed all the powder they normally receive but the snow was great none the less! Especially for late April...there was still 50+ trails open. We ate at the "Tower Bar" and it was the BEST blackened chicken wrap I've ever eaten! Service all around the mountain was A++ also... everyone was extremely helpful, friendly and more then willing to go out of their way to assist. Can't wait for next season!

1  Thank laurendesigns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have nothing but positive things to say about the Jay Peak Resort. We had a room with a king bed, murphy bed and full kitchen. The beds were super comfortable, and the kitchen remarkably well equiped. The room was spotless, and kept that way by the staff during our entire stay. I had asked for a mountain view, thinking that would mean a slope-side view. I ended up on the parking lot side (not their fault). But the view did include lots of mountains and was still beautiful, and it was kind of enjoyable to hear all the happy skiers getting ready to start their day in the morning. The balcony was wonderful, as was the fireplace! Despite it being a very busy week at the resort, the room was very, very quiet! Can't wait to go back! We had a Splash and Stay package this time, but watching the skiers piqued my son's interest enough that I'm sure I can get him on the slopes next time! I much appreciated that coupons that were supposed to start over the summer were accepted early - we found all aspects of customer service at this resort to be top notch.

1  Thank MrsC25098
See more reviews
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went to Jay April 17-18 for some spring skiing, and I wasn't disappointed; the skiing there was about as good as you would expect midseason in the DC area. I was only there two days, and there was had been no snow for about a week, and there had been some rain the day or two before, but there was still good snow. The glades looked pretty skied out. Some trails were bare, but were still open, and this was a problem- I was hesitant to try trails if I could not get a good view of them first. I was worried that I would get down the trail and then find out it was too bare to ski without tearing up my skis. Obviously, this wouldn't be a problem midseason.

I wasn't super thrilled with the tram; yes, it was nice in the rain, and it was nice to be out of the wind, but it was only marginally faster than the high speed quad, and with the wait time, and the speed of the tram, could wind up taking a half hour to get back up the mountain. The high speed quad is worth considering as an alternative, although it limits access to only a part of the mountain. The view from the peak is spectacular- even though the elevation is only about 4000', that's about 3000' above a lot of the country side, and from the Peak, you have a 360 degree view. The tram was pretty intense in the high wind, and they eventually closed it on my second day there. I thought the swaying was kinda cool, but some might see it otherwise.

The skiing was very affordable- the cost was so inexpensive, it was like the lodging was thrown in for free; apparently it was a spring promotion to get people to come and check out the water park. I skied. I found a route from DC (BWI->Manchester by plane->Jay by rental) that allowed me to travel and ski on the same day, and same thing on the return day. It's always nice to be able to ski one more day than you lodge, instead of vice versa. I was amazed to find I could do that living in DC and skiing on the northern edge of Vermont.