“Treated Terrible By All Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Jay Peak Resort

Jay Peak Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
MA
“Treated Terrible By All Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Jay peak boasts a lot of snow, but what they need is some serious customer service training. From Wendy in reservations who was both rude and incompetent, to the staff at check-in, to the lift attendants, to the wait staff and bartenders... Everyone seemed to be annoyed that there were people at the resort spending money, creating jobs, and trying to enjoy their friends and families on vacation.

It is obvious that the management either does not care or does not understand how to create a friendly culture for their customers. The employees are obviously not happy with their jobs, and it shows. Even my 2 kids asked why everyone was so rude at Jay. It was strange how this feeling spread throughout the resort... even to the customers on vacation.

Talked to a bunch of frequent skiers that commented it is always this way, you just have to get used to it...

If you’re looking for a place to relax, have fun and be around some smiling faces, DON’T COME HERE! There are much better options. Try Loon, Stowe, or Smugs.

6 Thank Travelman2020
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Sorry to hear about your experience Travelman. While we're certainly not perfect-as evidenced by your experience, management is certainly conscious and concerned anytime a guest has a less than perfect experience. While I consider your experience an aberration, I will review, personally with the departments you've mentioned, if you could simply let me know which departments you personally interacted with during your stay. My direct email address is swright@jaypeakresort.com and I look forward to speaking with you more in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
EG
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Went on a Family vacation to Jay Peak(Stateside). Very over rated.... our room was dirty (found wrappers on the floor), can not get take out from restaurant (not even drinks) in fact we ate at the restaurant and the service was terrible and slow, every restaurant has an hour wait and the hostesses are so rude, the only pool at the entire resort is a huge water park which although fun for older kids is very large which makes it hard to keep an eye on your kids, while at the water park a group of moms fully dressed in clothes were approached and asked to pay a fee to just sit and watch their kids(crazy), you can not bring food into the water park instead they want you to spend money on their fried junk, everything cost money and it is not cheap, I could go on and on. We take at least 3 family vacations a year and will not return to Jay Peak there are too many other family friendly mountains that do not try to squeeze every penny out of families and offer lots of free family activities. The one great feature was their children's program my daughter absolutely loved her lessons.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jenn A
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Sorry to hear your room didn't meet your expectations Jenn A also apologize for, as you mentioned, that everything costs money. We think that, on average, the cost:value equation is unparalleled anywhere, but we understand that your experience certainly didn't seem to bear this out. Sorry to hear we won't see you again, but hope your future winter adventures are all much better. If you'd ever like to offer more color on where your vacation went wrong, I'm available at swright@jaypeakresort.com
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

The room we stayed in was roomy and 3 levels. If you are sharing with other people or family the first level has a private bath in the bedroom. The upper level has to use the bathroom on the main level so parents would have privacy if they brought the kids. I loved the setup because my boyfriend and I stayed with a friend and we had our privacy. There is one downfall...only one tv on the main level so if you want to watch tv from the bed I guess bring a laptop.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Maureen C
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thanks for your review Maureen. We're glad you enjoyed your stay on our Golf and Mountain Cottages. Multiple family vacationing is certainly one of the main attributes of these special properties. Hope to see you again soon.

Steve Wright
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Yes this place is nice. It's unfortunate that the service is horrible. It's sad to see places like this get downgraded because of a lack of service. Problem after problem that we're never taken into consideration by staff and management. Noise, poor restaurant service, cleaning staff, front desk, to name a few. We did not expect 5 star service. We are average people expecting to get what we paid for. At check out (after spending over $1000.00 in two days ) the front desk manager apologized for the inconveniences and told us our next stay will be taken care of. After trying to reach someone at the hotel for a possible re-visit we were offered a whopping 15% off. WOW. But of course not on holidays either. Most hotels offer that for an early booking bonus. I guess the mistake lies with me. I should have refused to pay, and then see what we could have worked out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Taraskis
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
While I'm happy you consider the place nice, I'm obviously concerned that customer service didn't meet your standards. Feel free to connect with me directly at swright@jaypeakresort.com as I'm confused that if you were 'offered a free stay' you were only given 15% off. I look forward to speaking more. Best regards and thanks for responding.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went to Jay Peak for the first time this March and we'll definitely be back!

We were with three other families. Three families stayed in the Village Condo/Townhouses and one family stayed in a two bedroom suite in the new tramside hotel. In general, the Village Condo's were nice. The scenery was nice, it was quiet in the evening, we could put on our skis/boards in the backyard and ski right to the lift that runs through the Village, we felt like we were in our own little townhouse. However, the condos can be inconsistent depending on how well the owners have maintained them. Ours was OK, but definitely late '80's styling and some things were getting a bit old. Like the phones, which didn't work for the first three days until we finally got someone from maintenance to come to the condo. Each unit has a hardwired internet connection but whether it has WiFi depends on the condo owner (or the neighbours). Some WiFi networks are password protected and some aren't.

We're not particularly fussy people, so the condo was perfect for us and our three kids. Having a full kitchen, two bedrooms, two baths, and a large eating/living area that can accommodate a couple of families getting together for dinner was great.

The family that stayed in the new Tramside Hotel was also very happy. Their suite was a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen. It was new and modern and felt like you were in a 1,100 sg ft downtown condo. The hotel is attached to the waterpark and there's a storage locker at ground level so you can just put your skis on and head right for the main tramside lifts.

The mountain itself was great. We've skied in BC and Italy, and although Jay Peak is only about half the height, there is a good variety of runs. Plenty of easy and moderate runs for young skiers and boarders and a good selection of harder runs for the more adventurous. This includes a lot of glade runs. They have some "blue" glade runs that are OK for less advanced skiers right up to insane 60 degree rock face glades.

As other people have commented, Jay is known for its high winds. So even a moderate weather day can be pretty cold and windy on the lift or at the top of the gondola. But, in the week we were there almost 36 inches of snow fell!! Which made for amazing skiing/boarding and made it easy to forget the high winds!

My only complaint about the skiing/boarding is that a lot of the black diamond terrain (meaning over half of it) is not groomed regularly so it is very mogul-ly. So if you don't ski black diamond moguls or glades, but you like to ski black diamonds, there isn't a huge selection of runs to choose from.

Having the waterpark right there was great ... especially for a family trip with young kids who needed a break from the skiing mid-week. Also, mid-week was when we were getting about 24 of the 36 inches of snow ... so the weather on the hill was a bit tough for young kids. The waterpark was a great break and a great way to get in from the bad weather.

All-in-all, it was a great week with good accommodations, great skiing/boarding for all abilities, and a nice break at the waterpark.

2 Thank TheTraveller314
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thanks for your response Traveller314 and we're thrilled you experienced the sort of Jay Peak vacation we all, here, strive to deliver. We look forward to hosting you again (and good luck to the Maple Leafs in the playoffs...)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I keep coming back for the glades.
We timed this visit 3 days after 3 feet of snow had fallen in the past 7 days. We were there after march break on a Sunday, Monday & Tuesday visit. Ski + Water + Lodge package, at 25% off during the week, amazing deals to be had. No complaints on the price. The hill was great, the conditions were amazing.

Hotel Jay
Looked at the properties online and called to find out the difference between the regular studio and the penthouse studio. Was told that the penthouse studio had a full kitchen, so that's what we booked. Showed up on Sunday to get our tickets and hit the hill. While checking in, I wanted to confirm our room details. 5 minutes later, and a thorough review of her "room details" binder, I found out the penthouse studio only had a kitchenette. Misinformed, I share my dissatisfaction...long story short, manager came over, worked out a 1 bedroom at a discounted rate without any hassle. I was impressed by the service and the "upgrade at a small cost".

Tickets in hand we hit the slope. Since we drove in that morning, we got on the hill pretty late, so we skied until 4pm.

Time to check-in what I'd like to describe as a zoo. It took 15min. for check-in because they couldn't find any rooms that were ready and the lobby was really busy. 4:30pm, finally get a room. Get the car, wait another 15min. for a damn luggage cart as everyone was checking in at the same time. The room didn't disappoint one bit. Very very roomy, huge kitchen, seating area - everything you could hope for. Our only disappointment was the lack of balcony. When I upgraded that morning, we were put in a 1 bedroom with a balcony, convenient for my smoking friend. We didn't dwell on it too much, as we could finally dump our stuff and hit the water park.

The bad:
-Service was hit and miss. Fantastic service rectifying a misunderstanding with kitchen vs kitchenette in a studio. But we experienced bad service anytime we had to call the front desk. From simple things like getting a do not disturb card, asking for dish cloths, we always got attitude, from different people.
-The elevators are also slow, good god. Sure there really big, but take forever to move. Use the stairs.
-Luggage carts - please get more.
-The damn resort fee. Yes I knew I'd get hit with it before booking, that was very clear. Mont Tremblant adds a 3% local tax to everything, here its a 20$ daily resort fee. Ugh, why? It's a turn off.
-The website doesn't have any details on any of the room types. Adding that information would be great.

We didn't use the valet service. I read the horror stories of it taking forever to get your car, I opted to stay away.

Finally, we really enjoyed the convenience of going from skiing to room to water park within the same building. We stayed in a cottage last year, and didn't enjoy the back and fort so much. This was a welcomed change.

We'd stay here again in a heart beat, for the right price.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor and use the stairs, its perfect.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank LaL7
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was our second year up at Jay and we stayed in slopeside condos both times. The condos were lovely. This year we were a bit disappointed with the servicing of the condo...had to call repeatedly to get trash bags and dish soap and the customer service person with whom I spoke insisted that we were to provide our own dishwasher soap which we could purchase at their store. That is in fact something which is provided by their housekeeping - which she later called back to tell us...but it has me wondering who is answering their phones as they clearly aren't familiar enough with the condos to work in customer service. So...after 2 days our trash bags and soap arrived. We had a large 5 BR condo with 15 people staying in it...so dish soap and trash bags were a bit essential for the general hygiene of our accommodations.

While the housekeeping service was disappointing - my biggest disappointment was the lessons that we signed our son up for. He can bomb around and get down any slope but has no form and needs to learn parallel so I splurged for the $65 ski school morning lesson. There was ABSOLUTELY NO INSTRUCTION. The instructor merely skied around with the group of kids. I did not hire a baby sitter. I enjoy skiing with my son and certainly wouldn't pay $65 to have someone else ski with him while I'm skiing at the same time. I expected a lesson. I had signed up for his lesson at least a month in advance of our trip. My sense is that Jay has grown beyond its capacity to appropriately service the increased business. While I have no doubt that the majority of the instructors are well-qualified and know how to instruct... this bozo clearly did not. I submitted a complaint on-line and left a voice mail for the director of the ski school and heard nothing back. That perhaps was my biggest disappointment of all. Not sure that I'll return - we may move the group to Sunday River next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast ...
#1 of 2 in Montgomery Center

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!