“Long time visitor to Jay - and last time”
Review of Jay Peak Resort

Jay Peak Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have been skiing at Jay for well over 20 years, and that tradition, sadly, must end. Since the beginning of the massive development service has been on the slide. Jay has turned from a quaint resort with fantastic skiing to a "big box store" with so-so skiing.

Check in to the Tram House lodge was a nightmare, with staff openly blaming patrons for the chaos and the madness. The 4pm GUARANTEED check in time turned out to be a general guideline, when we couldn't get into our room until well after 4pm. Many of the newly built facilities are quickly showing wear. It appears that growth is more important than maintenance.

As for the ski hills, what a farce. Management appears to be happy closing large areas of the hill during the week in an attempt to save the snow for the weekend crowd. We stayed in early February when at least half of the hill was closed due to wind, only to hike up to the top of the Bonaventure quad to feel not a breath of wind. This type of closure rarely is reported, as the hill will be open for the first hour of skiing so that they can officially report everything open on the website. Quite clearly something is amiss...

We have stayed slopeside for many years, but in the last few they have become completely run down.

I am quite certain this review will quickly become buried in the piles of people who will praise the indoor water park. Great facility, if you don't like skiing. But then again, it isn't a water park hill....

Room Tip: stay away from slopeside condos no matter what the discount. Rooms facing the mountain will result...
2  Thank DPar2
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your review slightly sleepy --despite us, and hundreds of reviews on here, patently disagreeing with your thoughts on slipping-service, we still take your concerns seriously and appreciate the year's of connection you have with the mtn. To be clear, 4pm is not a guaranteed check in time-it is a guideline-from time to time, based on compression, rooms might be available earlier or later. Rather than get into a forth and back on 'closing large areas of the mtn for weekend guests', I will simply say that is baseless and illogical and leave it at that. We hope that you enjoy whatever mountain you land at in following seasons-thank you for your years of patronage and best of luck.--Steve Wright.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had never been to Jay Peak and were looking for something a little different. We had read the NY Times article about how they had basically blown up the old resort and put in all sorts of new stuff, including a giant waterpark. They had ski/splash and stay packages that were fairly reasonable. The terrain is great for both beginners and serious skiiers. It was also the best snow we had skiied on by far all winter. Our one bedroom condo looked brand new and was tastefully decorated. The floors even seemed heated! We ate at a couple of the restaurants and was never disappointed. The kids adored the waterpark even though it was super crowded on Saturday. We had such a great time we contemplated coming back the following weekend! We will definitely be coming back up here next year. The resort's only downfall is the town it is in. It's super small and there is nothing in it. Luckily, you don't have to leave the resort as they have a bunch of restaurants, bars and stores there.

1  Thank biztraveler30

Thanks for the review Biztraveler. Thrilled you got a chance to visit and look forward to hosting you again.--Steve Wright

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The best spring skiing experience! Lots of snow and absolutely no line-ups. Lots of terrain to keep you engaged all day. We are here with my two daughters 15 and 12, and we had a blast on the mountain. We have been to both Killington and Smuggs in the past and the skiing definitely measures up. There isn't a "village" per say which is a little disappointing, but the skiing is making up for it. If you are in a condo definitely try to bring your own groceries if you plan to eat in. The Provisions grocery on site is beyond expensive! We hit a market in Montgomery which was OK but still really expensive and there were virtually no meat choices that didn't look past their prime. FYI this market is the only place to hit a liquor store. Everyplace else just has wine, and beer.

The kids are excited to hit the Pumphouse today which is the new waterpark. I hope its good! Tip..on your first night here if you just can bare the thought of cooking, hit the pizza place. Its a little pricey but just outstanding! My kids even ate the leftovers which doesn't usually happen in our house!

Our condo is really nice! It is in the Village Condos. 2 bedroom with 2 baths and really nice kitchen and lots of room. Great view as well. When these are well equipped there is just no comparison to being crammed into a hotel room, with all the gear. Anyone who wants the unit number just email here on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Try and get a condo that is ski-in/ski-out. This unit is right beside the Grammy Jay trail. So con...
2  Thank Clifford321

Thanks Clifford321. Thanks for the review--glad you had a good visit.--Steve Wright

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I took my two kids (16 and 13) here for the second year in a row and we had another great experience. It was snowing pretty hard two of the four days of our stay, and the proximity of the ski lockers and lifts made it 1000 times easier to take advantage of the great conditions. Everything really is close by at this resort. We had a one bedroom, with a kitchen, which was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable and the pullout sofa fairly comfortable. Serviceable bathroom (although no tub) with good water pressure. The staff was always really nice and friendly - we chose to sleep in a couple of the days and skip having housekeeping come in, and they happily just provided us with extra towels, coffee, etc. My son is a little old to get hugely excited about the water park, but he did have fun there. My daughter still loves it.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor (room 504) and was nice and quiet, looked out over the waterpark with...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for the review Catherine. Glad you and your kids had fun. Look forward to hosting you again (you should see the park in the summer when the entire roof opens--it's cool). -Steve Wright.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went to this resort for a minor hockey tournament. The signage upon entering the resort needs improvement, as does the welcome package. It was difficult to track down where things were & when they were open (as in between games, we did not have time to ski). The staff were overall friendly and somewhat helpful. The shuttle was not reliable/convenient and with 3 young ones it was more convenient for us to drive from our Golf Mountain cottage to the ice haus. The Golf cottage was incredibly clean, spacious and wonderfully appointed with all necessities in the kitchen. Laundry is available but bring your own soap. Overall this place was beautiful & we will return for a family ski trip on a non-hockey weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks for the review Crulicny. We're constantly striving to improve signage as, with so much being added, it can be difficult to stay ahead of things. Your suggestions are in line with what we're focusing on currently, and we appreciate your feedback. Hope to host you again soon.-Steve Wright

Reviewed March 22, 2013

So we rented a two bedroom townhouse. Awesome! Slope side, two floors, great kitchen. Got the $700 package , ski and swim. Boys (9 and 5) loved the water park we went every day. We booked skilessons for the boys in the morning, they enjoyed and we got a pretty detailed verbal report on each boy. Also have us time to hit the slopes ALONE.
Our unit had a sauna(!) too. We enjoyed so much we booked for....one more night. Thinking we would get the same, we hit it for $395, nothing else included. The next was place was ok but not even in the same ballpark as the townhouse. The booking place called it "slope side roulette".

• Stayed: March 2013

Thanks Hoppy--adventure seeking families? That's one of our sweet spots for sure. Always best to book all your nights in advance and take advantage of length of stay discounts--booking one night at a time can get expensive. Make sure to call early for best deals next year.--Steve Wright.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We went to Jay Peak (pre-kids) a decade ago in one of the slopeside condos but heard that it was fully renovated so decided to give it a try as our first March break winter sports vacation (2 adults and 2 boys, 10 and 7). What a change from before and all so much BETTER! Arrived on Sunday May 10 and left Friday May 15 to avoid the weekenders. It is an easy 4.5 hour drive from our home in Ottawa (bypassing the Montreal traffic by taking the new toll Autoroute 30). Booked the Stay+Splash+Ski package (includes 6 days lift passes and 6 days access to the waterpark for the whole family - a value of over $1000+ for much less).

First let’s start with special mentions to the wonderful staff (I made sure to take their names)

- Ski Patrol: Connor, Billy and Heidi (who did an awesome job bringing me down the mountain safely after I hurt my knee)
- Ski/Snowboard instructors: Robert (beginner ski) and Rich (beginner snowboard)
- Shuttle drivers: Ed, Bruce and George
- Clubhouse Grill: Manager (Christina) and Barman (Bill)
- Security: Tom (who brought me back to the condo)
- Check-in: Cody

PROS

1. Great staff! As you see, I had a whole section just for them.
I happened to hurt my knee while skiing on the slopes during the stay. I was not in major pain but I did not feel safe to try to go onto the hurt knee (and I was still at a high elevation) so I decided to get Ski Patrol for help. They arrived very promptly and despite being hurt, the ski patrol crew made the whole experience as pleasant as possible. Thanks again so very much!

2. Lodging: Glad that we got a condo (Village/Golf #4078) versus room at Hotel Jay or Tram Haus Lodge (reading the TripAdvisor reviews mentioned that they were a bit tight).
- When booking our vacation, mentioned that we had one kid with a peanut allergy and upon check-in, I was very relieved to hear that they had taken the note seriously and made sure to have the condo cleaned thoroughly.
- We had a 2 bedroom condo (1 w/ king size bed and 1 w/ queen size as well as a queen pull-out couch) which came very well equipped with good appliances (compact dishwasher and gas stove, full size fridge and microwave) as well as full washer/dryer. Overall very well sized for our family of 4 (plenty of room). We took almost all of our breakfasts, lunches and snacks in the condo. There was also a big flat screen TV and a fireplace. 1 full size bathroom and a bathroom with a standing shower.
- We liked having the heated mudroom in the front to put all our gears to dry (plenty of hooks to hold snowpants, jackets, etc.; plenty of shelves to hold mitts, helmets, etc.).
- One parking spot right in front of the condo for our van - which we hardly used during our stay. We used the shuttles extensively.

3. Mountain Learning Centre: we reserved spots for the kids to do 3 morning lessons (Mon to Wed 930AM to 1130AM) and happy that we did.
- So our 7 year-old son had his very first ski lesson (2 hours) ever at Jay Peak and by the end of that first day, he was already trying the magic carpet in front of the main base and on his own! The next day, he went on the big chair lift with my husband and older son! Pretty impressed. The instructors are so patient and so skilled. I never thought he would have taken so easily to skiing in one day and has not stopped talking about how he wants to join the school ski club next year. Good work instructors! You can also feel that they genuinely happy to work with kids.
- Our 10 year-old is a snowboarder and at first was a bit bummed out that he was put in the beginner class (based on us parents judging level - which he did not agree with :-) but by the next class, the instructors evaluated and he was a happy camper.

4. Awesome trails! They did not disappoint. There was one rainy day (Tuesday) but the learning centre was still open and the kids had their lessons in the morning. It is good for them to learn how to enjoy the slopes even when the weather is not ideal. We were very thankful that there was the waterpark for the remaining of that day though.

5. The Pump House Waterpark. SO AMAZING. The pictures on the website do not lie. Given that we had the package deal, we could go every day and even on days when they were full capacity, resort guests had priority so we did not have to worry not getting in. Given that the trails close by 4PM, the waterpark stayed much later (I think 9PM) so we were able to enjoy both every day. Every day. It was especially the best when I hurt my knee and the sleepy river was perfect as aqua therapy. There is also an arcade that the kids enjoyed very much (a change from the waterpark on one evening).

6. Food options.
- There are three main restaurants (Alice Table, The Foundry, ClubHouse Grill) as well as a pizzeria (if you stay in the hotel, they even deliver! We just called ahead and picked up).
- There is a Provisions shoppe where there is a small deli (cold cuts, pickles and salads and even steaks) as well as other food such as eggs, bread, milk. Very reasonable prices on the staples. Mostly from Vermont suppliers.

7. Finally the Spa. I wish there was a Ski+Splash+Stay+Spa package! So while my boys would be on the slopes again and again, I found the spa to be a great oasis for the moms!
Free wifi around the resort. Amen to that.

CONS

- When I was looking at lodging options, I had a few questions on the condos so I called. The young lady that I had on the phone was rather harsh and unpleasant. She was terse with the details, as if she could not be bothered or had something else to get to. I ended up booking online as I did not want to have to deal with anyone like her again on the phone. Maybe something to look into? Remember that when guests call in, they represent the resort and this give a bad impression. On the other hand, when I had follow-up questions after, I used email and the email responses were very efficient, prompt and pleasant.
- I found that the spa services to be quite expensive and the 18% gratuity was already included in the bill (but not explained up front). While at par with pricing outside of the resort, I felt that guests should have a discount rate.
- There was one day that one of the two shuttles was not working and it was extremely slow to get to the slopes and back. With limited parking closer to the slopes, the shuttles are great but need to be more reliable and more consistent. Maybe consider having everyone park their cars into an underground area and then have a mini monorail for just the resort … a bit like Disney setup? Could be even very eco-friendly that way.
- The resort is quite walkable distance-wise but the roads were quite narrow considering there was traffic to/from the different condos/lodging as well as the shuttles so I did not find it very safe for walking with kids. Also for safety, more lights but also have some of those emergency calls posts (like on college campuses) for people to get help, just in case.
- We did not get a chance to enjoy the Ice Haus arena this time (forgot the ice skates and frankly ran out of time with all the other activities)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jennie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast ...
#1 of 2 in Montgomery Center

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!