“I Love Vermont”

and 1 more site!
Jay Peak Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My son and I took a ski trip to Vermont in January and stayed at the Jay Peak Resort. Having been coming down here for years, I was amazed to see the development at the resort. The hotel is very nice - very well laid out, close to the mountain. They had great storage for our skis, free valet parking and the package rate was excellent including ski and waterpark passes. The staff was very nice, but need some experience. There should be someone stationed just outside the doors to direct and provide a warm welcome.

The Guestroom was nice and comfortable with a large bathroom. There was a long dark hair in the tub.

We had dinner at the pizza place and to be honest it was okay. The pizza was 100% better when it was in its old location.

Throughout our stay there was no offer to allow us to charge food and beverage to our room, which I found odd.

Overall, it was a great stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: Get a package.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thanks for the review JStilts. I appreciate the good feedack and will share with staff. Hope to see you again and best regards.

There are newer reviews for Jay Peak Resort

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at Jay Resort the weekend of February 1st for a minor hockey tournament. This report will not reference anything to do with skiing as we did not ski. We rented for the 2 nights a 2-BDRM Golf & Mountain cottage and we were extremely pleased with our choice. The majority of these cottages are located on 1 street running along side the golf course so one side has a view of the golf course and the other a view of the mountain. Each cottage is 3 floors but some have the main entrance on floor 2 and other have the entrance on floor 1. My only suggestion I can make to those reading this that when reserving request a unit with the entrance on floor 2 (the main floor) as it is a better set up (we did also see the basement entrance of friends who had that unit. here is the set up of this unit. There is a good sized entrance vestibule. Once inside, you have a large full sized bathroom with large stand shower. You then move into the kitchen area which is very well equipped and stocked. Area includes a large fridge, 24" stove/oven gas fired with 4 burners and oven. 24" dishwasher, large sink, microwave and 4 cup coffee maker. There was a bag of coffee filters in the cabinet. There was also dish-soap for the sink and dishwasher soap for the machine. There were also dishcloths and rags. very well stocked with cutlery, utensils, knives, plates, pans and pots. There was a large table that sits 6 people, a gas fireplace with a large LG 42" TV on the wall above the fireplace. There is a large leather sofa bed as well as another large leather chair. There is also a patio door and large balcony. Finally there is also a large closet with sheets and blankets for the sofa bed. There is a stairwell near the entrance going to the upstairs bedroom which is the only room on the top floor. This room has a queen bed and very large closet. All furniture is well appointed and matching. Back on the main floor there is another stairwell going to the basement level. At the bottom there is a large foyer area with 2 doors. One leads to a large utility room with concrete floors. In this room there is a washer and dryer, iron and ironing board too. There are also ventilated shelving which we used to dry out the hockey equipment. The machines are new but for here, detergent is NOT provided so bring your own from home. Once back in the foyer you enter the second door which is the second bedroom. This room has a king sized bed, 2 nightstands and a large bureau. There is a second exterior door leading to a walkout patio area located under the balcony of the main floor. There is also a large double closet and en-suite bathroom with bathtub/shower with curtains. For both bathrooms, bar soap is the only thing included and no shampoo. There are also many extra towels in both bathrooms as well as a good supply of toilet paper. While we did bring food supplies with us there is a provisions store located beside the main hotel which has everything from meats and a deli to soaps, foodstuff, chips, water, veges, etc. Finally, the check-in for these cottages is located in the Golf Clubhouse across the street from the main hotel. The check-in procedure was my only issue I had. While there were 3 employees doing check-in, the procedure for each new arriving guest takes about 10 minutes. When I arrived there was a lineup in front of me so I waiting about 20 mins before getting to the counter. They need to find a way to speed this up. Feel free to contact me if you need any other questions answered.

Room Tip: For the cottages, choose one that has the main entry on the main floor - same floor as kitchen.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank JamesMTL1963
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thanks for the great review James and, you're right, during busier periods the check in at our condominium check in desk, even when fully staffed, can run upwards of 10 minutes. We're working on getting another point of sales integrated and that should help alleviate waits during higher compression periods. Thanks again for your review and thoughtful notes.

Best

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I might have given Jay Peak 5 stars had I gone during better conditions. Apparently, Jay Peak has a reputation for the most snow in the east, but we didn’t get any powder during our 3-day stay there in late January. Next to Jay Peak, I only have one other mountain that I can compare it to – Smugglers’ Notch, also in Vermont and quite comparable in my opinion.

We went to Jay Peak during a very chilly weekend (below 20+ degrees). It was so freezing cold my face was literally hurting as I went down my first few runs, as a bit of skin was exposed. The wait to get on the Aerial Tram is way too long but the only way to get to the summit and onto the longest runs. When you get to the summit, don’t forget to make your way up the wooden stairs to take in the great view and to snap some photos. The Flyer Express Quad on the outer edge of the mountain offers a beautiful view, but brace for an extremely windy and chilly ride up. Unlike the novice glades that I tried at Smuggs last year, Jay Peak’s novice glades are great for non-experts who want to enjoy cruising through the trees without worrying about bumping into them. I tried a few black diamond trails at Smuggs last year, but didn’t attempt any at Jay Peak as we didn’t get any fresh snow – with hard snow and icy patches I didn’t want to risk it. My favourite runs that I got to try were Vermonter and Ullr’s Dream. Unfortunately, their longest run, Ullr’s Dream, also has a very flat part, which sucks for snowboarders, and can only be accessed via a frigid ride up the Flyer Express Quad.

We stayed at a Slopeside condo for 7 people, but realistically speaking, 7 people can’t sleep comfortably together with the beds we were given. There was one master bedroom (without a washroom) for a couple, one bunk bed designed for 2 people to share the bottom bunk, and one pull-out sofa. There was only one washroom. In contrast, our accommodation for 7 at Smuggs included one bed for a couple, 2 twin beds, a bunk for 2 people, and a pull-out sofa, and 2 washrooms. Smuggs’ website also provides a list of what to bring (like a blow dryer), which would be helpful for Jay Peak to do. I think I would have preferred staying at Hotel Jay or the Tram Haus Lodge, but it was cheaper staying with a larger group at the Slopeside. Hotel Jay and Tram Haus Lodge are a step away from the lifts and connected underground to the restaurants, shops, and indoor waterpark so you don’t need to step outside into the cold to get around. I’m not a big fan of waterparks and was tired after a day of snowboarding so didn’t try the Pump House but it looked fun. I think they have a good enough variety of restaurants for 3 days there, with reasonable prices. The mountain shop was also fun to check out – with reasonably priced products, it’s a convenient stop for those who need an extra something to stay warm.

I gave Smuggs 4 stars as well, but it was definitely a better experience at Smuggs with some new snow that we got while I was there in March 2012 and the shorter wait to get to the very top. Given all the great reviews that I’ve read about Jay Peak, I’m definitely open to going back WHEN there’s powder, especially to try their black trails and glades.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrea W

Thanks for the positive review Andrea and sorry you missed out on one of our legendary storms. We'll try and order one up for you across your next visit. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Best

Reviewed January 30, 2013

6 of us stayed in a Golf & Mountain Cottage for 3 nights in unit 4082. 3 floors, room + en-suite bath in the basement, main living area on the main floor with half bath + shower and another room upstairs. The unit was 1 month old and still smelled like new :) Clean and modern, we had everything we needed in this unit. My only gripe was the description on the website "...just a short walk from the Tramside base lifts and across from the Pump House Indoor Waterpark." right...from our unit, in ski boots it's a 20minute walk, so call the shuttle.

The mountain as always doesn't disappoint. My last visit was 4-5 years ago, and the mountain hasn't changed one bit. Great skiing conditions as always, glades galore, and if the wind doesn't visit you're in for a treat. Unfortunately the weekend was very cold and windy, which made for interesting conditions, but we dressed up and made the best of it.

We followed our ski day's with the water park which was a nice touch. We really enjoyed everything it had to offer. The only bummer was the closed hot tubs outside due to the cold weather.

I liked what I saw, and love the addition of so many lodging options compared to the last time I was up here. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LaL7

Thanks for the review Lal7 and the good notes. You're right; while the units are within easy walking distance of our Village Double Chair--most of the main lifts are more appropriately reached by shuttle. We'll make the amendment to our property descriptions on our site and appreciate you calling it to our attention. Look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A lot of money has been invested in this resort over the last two years and thanks to a special offer, we were able to take advantage of an amazing rate. Two nights in the Hotel Jay, included lift tickets and water park tickets and a whole slew of coupons too! (make sure you look through the whole book)
Our family of four had more than enough room to spread out and relax; not once feeling cramped. Our one bedroom suite had a bedroom with a king size bed, comfortable bedding, flat screen tv, and a very large closet. The living room area had a couch, chair, gas fireplace, Murphy bed, sm dining room table for 4, and another huge walk in closet with mirror, bench, safe and ample space for hanging clothes and whatever else you see fit to bring. Best was the full size kitchen with counter seating, a range, oven, microwave, full size fridge with freezer, dishes, cookware, and a dishwasher; everything we needed except the butter, which we forgot to pack. No worries though because it was just a short walk to the next building to get it! I do advise if you value quiet in the evening, to NOT run the dishwasher when you are trying to put the children to sleep - it is a bit noisy, but you can't hear a peep from it when you are out on the slopes for which the lift is only steps out the back door! Also, the heating and cooling vents were a bit loud for us, but there is an on/off switch when you open the cabinet to take care of that too! A locker room for guest storage of snow gear only steps from the back door was also appreciated. When you have had enough of the cold, you can put on your sneakers and swim suits and walk down a hallway or two to the indoor water park, or head over to the indoor ice arena for the public skate; all great for diverse interests. There is also an arcade, bar, and a few restaurants. The ski shop had ample selection for some extra gear we needed due to the cold snap, and the prices were not inflated as you often find at some other resorts. The service from the staff is good, and they truly want to hear your feedback - good and bad. Valet parking for us was included and each employee we encountered on this trip appeared genuine in their desire to help; (great lift attendants) but they are also 'real' local people who will share the history of the mountain, and some of the local politics if you take the time to ask.The only bummer was that the ski school did not return our two phone calls to set up a lesson or two for our children. However, to be fair, I did happen to call both times after hours and left a message hoping to get a call back in the morning. Their after hours message requested that an email be sent - but seeing I wanted a bit less technology on this trip, I hoped a request for a return phone call would be honored. When the call did not come, I just let it go. So if lessons in the ski school are important to you, you should probably call during operating hours and call in advance of your trip to insure success. Overall, we had a great trip, and will definitely plan to return for a longer trip next time!

Room Tip: Do your research before booking and arrival to avoid disappointment. Some rooms have balconies and s...
2  Thank midwkdiscountseeker
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights over Martin Luther King weekend. We had a one bedroom suite and the room was absolutely gorgeous! The kitchen had everything you could want! The king bed and Murphy bed for the kids were so comfortable. There is ample space in the rooms with nice decor. They provide large lockers near the entrance to the mountain for all your ski equipment (which is very convenient if you have kids). There is a tunnel connecting the hotels, restaurants and water park so you don't have to go outside at all if you don't want. The weekend we were there was very windy for skiing, so we spent more time in the water park than skiing, but that was ok. While the kids are swimming, there is a large screen tv to watch sports, and a great bar overlooking the water park. The outdoor jacuzzi is awesome and on Saturday evening there was a spectacular firework display. It was so cool to be outside, in the jacuzzi, watching the fireworks! My kids still can't stop talking about that! We had great meals in three different restaurants and got pizza one night and ate it in the water park (We rented one of the cabanas for the day and ate in there). Ice skating was also fun! If you're planning a trip, it's helpful to bring some snacks and breakfast foods to keep in your room, although they do have a nice store toThey really thought about everything there in their big expansion!! We will definitely go back! I would think about going in February or March though due to the weather in January. buy food items if you want ("provisions"). They really thought about everything in their big expansion!! We will definitely go back! I would think about going in February or March though due to the weather in January.

• Stayed: January 2013
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thanks for the review CBTravel. Glad you enjoyed your trip--just wish we could have had the winds dial back a bit for you. We'll work on that for your next trip.

Thanks again

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Jay Peak is legendary for large snowfalls and tree skiing, and some cold temperatures and high winds. It snowed 2 of 3 days we were here. Skiing condiitons were very good, although high winds closed down some lifts every day, limiting trail access and making the mountain seem small at times. On our last day the wind chill at the peak was -45 degrees! The base area has a general store, indoor water park, ice rink, conference center, a nice slection of resturants, and the obligatory ski shop. We stayed in a two bedroom village condo within a 50 yard walk of the Racoon Run green level trail serviced by the Village double chair lift.

Pros: Friendly staff everywhere on and off the slopes. Easy check in. Ski rentals were quick and easy. The condo was clean. The loaction was virtually ski on ski off (50 yeard walk to slope). Well equiped kitchen. Working gas fireplace. Beds fairly comfortable (sleeper sofa slightly better than most). 2nd floor walk up condo had indoor ski locker in 1st floor entryway. Pump House indoor water park is a 2 minute drive. A variety of resturants and a general store also available by Pump House.

Cons: Maintainence issues at our condo: one kitchen cabinet door was falling off of its hinges; masive light bulb failure: 4 of 7 light bulbs missing from the dining room chandelier (stolen?); 3 of 4 kitchen flood lights burned out; bathroom overhead light burned out (didn't the maids notice when they cleaned the bathroom?); master bedroom table lamp light burned out; master medroom wall mounted reading light burned out; light outside of condo entrance burned out. I called maintainence, and the next morning while we were out skiing they fixed the cabinet door and replaced all but two bulbs (maybe they ran out of bulbs?).

Dishwahing liquid, dishwasher soap, and bar soap was provided, but not shampoo, conditioner, or lotion - I have never encountered this before at any other condo rental. (Only Johnson's baby Shampoo available in the general store.) Housekeeping never stopped by on Saturday - with the lack of shampoo, at first I questioned whether they even HAD housekeeping. No WiFi, was told we could access internet via CAT5 cable, but it never worked when I plugged it in. Older tube style TVs and poor cable picture quality. When not on the resort, hard to get a hold of a person by phone to ask questons about lessons. They never returned my calls or emails sent the week before our visit. Once on site, Suzanne at the ski school desk was very helpful, but obviously needs help with the workload. No recorded ski report available until at least 9 AM on Sunday!

Notes: Many condos at other New England and Western ski resorts provide some type of small complimentary basket (snacks, fruit, maple syrup and pancake mix, etc), but nothing here. WiFI is becomming almost standard, yet there was not even working cable internet in our condo. Pump House indoor water park is a 2 minute drive - great for kids, some adults may find the constant noise and comotion difficult to tolerate for any significant period of time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for the review Amy and sorry to hear about the maintenance issues with your unit--those were easy things to not miss and it seems like we missed them anyway, so apologies are certainly in order. I appreciate your suggestions for incremental amenities and will talk with our team about providing these sorts of options that you mention.

Again thanks for the note and glad you enjoyed your stay.

steve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast ...
#1 of 2 in Montgomery Center

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!