“Jay Peak is for Skiiers”
Review of Jay Peak Resort

Jay Peak Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
Guelph, Canada
“Jay Peak is for Skiiers”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been to Jay Peak several times and we're planning another trip for January. I think one thing that most of the reviews below are forgetting about is the skiing.

Jay is a great resort for beginner to ultra-advanced skiiers. The tram to the top runs regularly. The amount of powder that this mountain gets is ridiculous! We got over 12" over a single night (both years that we were there).

Alice's Kitchen has great food. It's well priced and the atmosphere is great. What we didn't realize is that the menu changes from pub fare on the weekends to a Mexican-inspired menu on the weekdays (don't go there on a Tuesday night expecting chicken wings!). Don't go there on the weekend expecting gourmet fish tacos.

Both of the townhouses that we stayed in were comfortable. The ability to ski right from our front porch onto the slopes was amazing (as was the case with the two-bedroom townhouse that we stayed in). Some of the accomodations were dated, but clean and comfortable.

Go here for peace. Go here for quiet. Bring your own food and go here for a low-cost ski adventure. Bring enough friends and go here for a party (but be respectful to others). Above all: go here for the powder!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Someguynamederic
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Jay Peak. One small note, Alice's Table actually is modified American food (with a small touch of french inspiration now and again). Our Mexican food corner can be found down at The Clubhouse Grille. Fantastic Mexican food with Chef Tosca. As well, The Foundry, in our new Hotel Jay, serves everything from flat-breads (from our hearth fired oven) to steaks, chops and seafood. Hope you get a chance to visit again soon for another bite (and appreciate your nod to the fact that, yes, we are well-tuned for all levels of skier or rider).

steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Winchester, MA
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed in the new Tram Haus Lodge studio unit with my daughter over Columbus Day Weekend, supposedly a busy time for them. We loved it and I'm happy to report that even at a busy time, their staff was super accomodating (the front desk clerk helped me with the luggage b/c all the carts had been taken and my six year old was no help) and the crowds weren't a problem at all. We did the Pump House for two days (get there early), took the Tram, and ate in the bar below our unit. Every aspect was terrific. The Studio was fine for us and the kitchenette had everything we needed; two burners, fridge, microwave, toaster, loads of dishes, pots & pans, even salt & pepper. Our unit had a balcony and gas fireplace which were mandatory for my relaxing weekend. I packed a lot of food to save on cost. I also loved that it took a little more effort to get there, i.e. it's a little off the beaten path. The drive was lovely and again, everyone was so friendly and helpful. ONE BUMMER-unless you're moving luggage, take the stairs. The elevators are the slowest ever! I wonder if they even work properly, b/c they would often pass my floor. By our last day, we'd had enough and used the stairs exclusively.

Room Tip: Apparently, not all the units have a balcony, so I was sure to request one.
2 Thank KerryMB
Thanks for the feedback and glad you had a great time. The Tram Haus is a beautiful property and the perfect choice for those that want to be in the middle of everything, yet still feel a little exclusive. The elevators tend to slow up during periods of high occupancy and while I apologize on behalf of your quads, I'm sure the stair climbing made room for an extra scoop of dessert at Alice's Table or The Foundry....

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Steve
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my wife and two children for a one night stay to use the waterpark. The room was nice and the kitchen was fantastic. REALLY liked the fireplace. Beds were comfy. Did find some old cheerios under the bed so housekeeping could use a bit more attention to detail.

The evening hostess & first waitress we encountered in the foundry restaurant were quite brusque and unfriendly. The Waitress who actually served us was a big improvement. Breakfast waitstaff was fantastic.

The kids absolutely loved the arcade and the water park. The waterpark did not open until 11am on the day we were there so the Arcade opening early was a life saver!

Valet parking was a bit of a mystery and it took me a while to calm my wife down about it. When we arrived, we were told to just pull the car into one of the valet slots and it would be taken care of.

The next morning upon checkout we found that the car was still where we left it, unlocked with the keys in it. This was totally unacceptable to my wife as the car should have been locked and secured by the valet attendants and not just forgotten in the lot. My wife considered this inexcusable........I had such a good time up there that I was willing to overlook it although if we return I will certainly make sure to chat with the front desk to make sure that our vehicle is properly secured overnight.

Overall, the kids had a fantastic time...and that's really what it's all about. Hotel Jay and the pump house get a very good rating from me although there is certainly room for improvement. Especially when compared with service at competing resorts in VT.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Joshua M
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for the review and glad to hear you and the kids had a fantastic time. Sounds like you received both fantastic and inconsistent service in the Foundry and we'll certainly took a look as those reports appear quite distinct from our standard reviews. We'll also take a look at the Valet situation and apologize for the inconvenience.

Steve
Burlington, Vermont, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We just came back from an overnight trip to Jay. My husband and I traveled with our three year old, our six year old who has profound disabilities, and an adult with with intense disabilities who requires wheelchair accessibility.
We got there very early on Saturday to take advantage of the splash and stay. The front desk staff was extremely accommodating to our needs and allowed us to check into our room very early. It would have been really difficult for us to get everyone ready without the room so that was appreciated. The concierge, who told us he sits on the VT Disabilities Council, actually took us to our room and explained a lot of the accessibility features in the resort. He was so kind and helpful....we were really blown away.
We ate lunch at the foundry prior to going to the splash park. Lunch was phenomenal and our waitress was super sweet.
We headed over to the splash park and the staff at the desk were so nice. They explained how we could access everything. In this type of busy job, I would expect rushed and harried staff. But no. These people were cheerful and sweet. I felt like they really enjoyed their jobs. Great!
The waterpark is awesome. There are two lifts for those that need them. One for the river and one for the hot tub. I am sure there isn't a great return on investment for this type of feature so I really appreciate that the hotel/park put these in to accommodate guests with disabilities. We spent most of our time in the kiddie area which was super fun. But we also had a great time in the river, pool, and hot tub. I was really impressed with the number of life guards on staff and with how attentive and friendly they were. I didn't see anyone zoning out...they were actively involved with keeping guests safe.
The hotel itself is pretty awesome. Huge! We kept getting lost which was fun as we would discover new things we hadn't known about. The elevators are huge which is wonderful for wheelchair accessibility. The halls are also nice and wide with plenty of room to turn corners.
We stayed in a two bedroom suite with a pullout sofa. I was over the moon about our room. The huge entryway with hooks and a bench were fabulous. And the kitchen was fully appointed and enormous! Everything was clean and comfortable. The second bedroom was actually an ajoining room which was well beyond my wildest expectations.
The only downside to our trip was the noise. This is not a complaint of the hotel as I don't think there is any avoiding it in this type of family resort--more a word of caution with regard to expectations--pack earplugs! We did have a hard time sleeping as it sounded like our neighbors upstairs were actually bowling. We called the front desk a couple of times and they were really nice about it and sent security up which didn't really help but the hotel would have no way of constantly monitoring noise. I'm sure most of the noise was due to other guests being wound up after having an incredible time like we did! Next time we will pack some earplugs so we can sleep so our stay will be perfect.
Oh yes, the hotel also gave us a later checkout so that we could use the water park again today and have a place to get everyone ready before going home.
I can't wait to come back during ski season!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth R
Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the park and that our hospitality and service exceeded your expectations. Seems like you met John, one of our concierge coordinators, who sits on The VT Disabilities Council--he's a huge asset here.

We look forward to seeing you here again.

Steve.
montreal
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The road to Jay Peak was a scenic off the beaten path excursion. There was a lot of new construction going on in this off season period which hopefully will be done by the time the skiers come by. It is an impressive hotel in the middle of nowhere. there is no town nearby, no bars, clubs or restaurants. you have to pretty much have it all there! the room is spacious with a King bed, large fully equipped kitchen, bathroom and living room/dining room and murphy bed. Our room did not have a balcony which was a shame but not a reason to complain. The elevators were the slowest I have seen in a while but I was here to relax, not to party.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review. The middle of nowhere, for some, truly is the place to be. It's also a matter of geographical perspective given that we're only 90 minutes or so from Montreal proper and from Burlington VT. We hear you in the elevators--they can be slow during busier periods for sure. Hope to see you again soon though.

Best regards and thanks again.

Queensbury, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our first trip to Jay Peak. We attended a getaway wedding at the resort. The first thing that struck us was the amount of construction going on around the resort. We also happened to be there the same weekend as a youth hockey tournament and the resort was overrun with kids. The resort is actually a great place for that type of venue as there are a lot of things for kids to do including the water park and the game room. But for my husband and I it was not quite the atmosphere we tend to enjoy, there wasn't a nice cozy fire to get away to or a great place to eat or a quant town to poke around. In addition the rooms are very small and most of the restaurants and even the water park were not open on Monday as it was their off-season. All in all this was a bit of a disappointing place to stay. If you are looking for a family getaway or a ski vacation with college buddies this might be a good choice for you but if you are looking for rest and relaxation or a romantic getaway, I'd say "not so much."

Room Tip: Check to see what else is going on at the time of your stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. And you're right--construction continues here this Fall (even though very (very) little is actually happening on the Tramside of the resort where you stayed and where most of our Fall guests are lodging as well). We're adding more parking, a country store and several other touch ups as is the case with any business experiencing the sort of success we have over the past several months. We think we're perfect for just about anyone (and not just families and, er, college kids--though they love the place too). Had we known you were looking for a certain level of isolation on your trip we certainly could have found you a quiet corner. Hope to see you again and we'll try better to accommodate your wish to dampen the energy a bit.

Enjoy your winter and thanks for visiting.

Montreal
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife, 4 year old son and I stayed for one night over the weekend and we really enjoyed ourselves. A lot of changes have been made to the resort in the last number of years with the addition of hotels, condominiums, ice rink and indoor water park.
We stayed in what I would consider a pretty spacious one bedroom room that includes a full kitchen, dining area and living room with a pull out couch. The room was located on the second floor, giving us easy access to the indoor water park. There is also an additional, separate, enclosed area that overlooks the water park itself, giving you even more room to settle down in. WiFi access worked really well in the room but we did not try it anywhere else in the building.
One important thing though. There is not much in terms of grocery options available to you right near the resort. There are a few small places around but the closest large grocery store is located in Derby, a good 36 km (23 miles) away, so make sure you stock up before you arrive.
There are also a few dining options on site but we did not try any of them.
All in all a great stay and we do plan on returning during the winter to hit the slopes.

1 Thank MoreVacations:)
Thanks for the feedback and, opening in less than a month--Jay Peak Provisions and General Store--a very cool/unique general and grocery store, so you don't have to drive away to fill your fridge.

Hope to see you again soon.

steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
#5 of 5 in Sutton
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!