“All in! Stay+Ski+Swim”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
Moretown, Vermont
“All in! Stay+Ski+Swim”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

Come to Jay Peak Resort while it is still brand-spanking new. They've done an amazing job with the new Hotel Jay, new base lodge, and the Pump House. What has stayed the same are the amazing runs on the mountain. We stayed during the record week of wamth in mid-March and the snow was melting fast, but we had fun spring skiing and riding on this amazing mountain.

What sealed the deal for us was that kids 14 and under stay/ski/swim for free. What a deal! But, with my oldest turning 15 in November, I would love to see a deal for teens traveling with their families. It might entice us to book another family vacation.

The Pump House is so much fun. Stay mid-week and non-vacation week to avoid crowds and chaos. And don't leave without doing La Chute! I was so scared to do it, but am so glad I did it. More than once. Quite the adrenaline rush!

We ate at Mountain Dick's pizza. Beer was good, pizza okay. The white pizza needs a new description - what was an "herb white" came with sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers. But, the prices were right. I appreciate that Jay doesn't gouge visitors like most other ski resorts we've been too. Thank you.

We used to live in this neck of the woods and enjoyed riding at Jay. My husband is waxing nostalgic for the old Jay Peak, but I think the upgrade is incredible. The tasteful decor, super comfy beds, and friendly service will make Jay Peak the place to vacation in Vermont.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the Pump House are quieter. Request a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

We are 2 adults and a 11 yo child - we stayed 5 nites in a one bed room suite at the Tram Haus - it included a small well equipped kitchen (bar fridge, 2 burner stove, microwave, toaster, plenty of dishes and utensils, cupboards) , two closets with lots of hangers, a full washroom with plenty of towels and hair dryer, a sofa bed in the LR , two flat screen TVs , free wi-fi, ....... all of which was in good working order , clean and comfortable .

We had breakfast / lunch in our room and dinner in the resort restaurants where we found food good and prices reasonable.

Our package included ski / splash --- the skiing at Jay is awesome and the splash park will keep kids quite happy for a few hours.

Sound carries easily in Tram Haus but is a temporary issue.

Ski lockers Include locks --- are on ground floor with easy access to ski lifts which are right outside the lodge.

The locking "ski key" racks are there but barely adequate - looks like they've been abused ---the resort could improve this area .

Parking at Tram Haus is valet style and those guys do a good job.

Front desk was seamless -- room was ready when we arrived about 6PM --- checkout equally without hassle and the room / restaurant / bar charges were all accurate.

The area is remote -- the closest full service grocery store is in Newport about 30 minutes by car - there is a mini mart on site but we did not check it out --- suggest you arrive with food / libations as required .

Overall a very nice , well managed resort , good accomodations and great skiing -- we may well go back next year.

Room Tip: Mountain view nice if you can get it .
1 Thank Allez-y-donc
Berlin, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

If it's been awhile since your last visit to the Jay Peak Ski Resort in Northern Vermont... boy, are you in for a surprise!!! Development has been astounding over the last couple of years. Two beautiful hotels, Tram Haus & Hotel Jay nestled slope side at the base. Both architecturally stunning, we stayed in the Tram Haus. Walk out the door to the Tram or Quad Lifts. Trendy bar and upscale restaurant (Alice's Table) on premises. Convenient ski lockers, coffee/snack bar. Our room was gorgeous, facing the slopes w/oversize balcony. Rooms are "upscale Vermont chic", well thought out, numerous VT hardwood displayed in doors, kitchen, moldings and other refinements. Stunning coordination of paint schemes, carpeting and tile, all in understated earth tones. Gas fireplace. Did not feel like a hotel or condo room, but exuded the warmth of a home. Extremely comfortable. Important mention: one of the big new draws at Jay is a state-of-the-art 85* Indoor Aqua Park, stunning! Accessible w/underground connection from Tram Haus > Hotel Jay, where park is adjacent. Numerous water activities, slides, pools, hot tubs, etc. Has to be seen to believe. I believe the kids prefer it to skiing??!!
The ski aspect is great, big mountain, surprisingly good grooming, tons of gladed tree areas to carve your turns. Resort has international flavor due to proximity to French speaking Quebec, and large contingent of very friendly Quebecois come down to partake. Bring your passports and cross into Canada (only 10 minutes away) for dinner one evening! Jay Peak has come into modernity... whilst remembering where they came from. Worth the trip, check it out...

Room Tip: Always top floors if possible. Booking deals online.
3 Thank Sno-Bum
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have travelled all over and been to many resorts during high and low seasons.We just returned from Jay Peak and it was fully booked and busy.We booked at the Tram lodge...right at the bootom of the hill..short indoor walk to the waterpark and 2 restaurants on the second floor...room was spacious clean and had everything we needed.When we first arrived to check in we were greeted by Scott who emptied the truck and parked it for us..then the amazing girls(sherry and Amber) at the front desk who at the time were dealing with a diffcult client and handled it perfectly..in fact they were great all weekend when I had a couple of questions..Scott brought our stuff up to our room gave us the lowdown and answered our questions ...well done for a first impression!
Waterpark was definately the highlight for the 2- 9yr old boys with me..awsome slides ..lazy river..rock climbing..basketball...water surfing experience was a blast and not to mention the arcade!!
Food at all the restaurants was very good and well priced.
We didn't ski but heard the slopes were great
Everywhere we went and every staff member we talked to was pleasant and helpful...service at the restaurants was friendly..even the arcade guys patience with all the kids was noticable and appreciated..
Overall experience was very good and well worth the visit.The people that work there go above and beyond to make things easy...and that is impressive as the place had been fully booked for a few weeks and is for another month..clients get cranky and sometimes unreasonable when things are busy...I saw this firsthand on more than one ocassion and the staff handled things perfectly...I mean really....huge mountain to ski...biggest waterpark in North America..if you need to relax and focus, visit the guys upstairs in the waterpark..grab a Tram Ale and sit by the railling watching everyone having a blast!!

Room Tip: staying in the lodge or hotel avoids having to walk from outside to the waterpark and use the small...
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Jay for two nights as part of a group’s skiing outing. We had never been to Jay Peak before and were looking forward to it especially since we had heard that they built a new hotel and water park.

It was pretty easy to find the hotel however, signage to the front entrance to the hotel was lacking. There was a sign before the hotel entrance with an arrow pointing right, however, if you took the right in front of the arrow you ended up in the front parking lot and had to drive all the way around to get to the hotel entrance.

The hotel is fairly new and they seem to be working on getting things right. For example, when we checked in they had 2 luggage carriers that were being used. There wasn’t anyone running the baggage area so you had to wait for an empty carrier to be returned by the guests who weren’t always bringing them back down to the lobby.

Check in was quick since we were part of a group and they had our packets already, however, the front desk clerk didn’t give us information like check out times or a map of the resort.

The resort has a huge locker room area to store your skis, the only drawback is that it’s on the second floor of the hotel so you either have to wait for the elevator (which is slow) or carry the skis up two flights of stairs.

Everything at the hotel is activated by a chip in a wristband that they give you when you check in. The wristband has information for your room key, lift tickets and even water park tickets. We had to use the wrist band to enter into the locker room area where the skis were held. We had a problem opening our locker because the previous guest locked it and left so we had to wait until someone from the front desk came up and unlocked it for us.

Our room was on the second floor around the corner from the fitness studio. We had a king size bed. The room was very new and the bed was comfortable. The biggest problem with the room was that there was no chair to sit down on. You either sat on the bed or stood up. We would have like to have a chair to sit on when we put our boots/shoes on. There was one bureau but no desk or anything else to sit at or on.

The room was also very dark. They had some lights but it was very hard to see anything in print with the lighting provided. Additionally, the light over the coffee area was out and wasn't fixed while we were there.

The bathroom was also very large with large area between the toilet and the shower. It was so big that you could have put a table in there (many with chairs?). The provided the typical amenities however, they didn’t restock the shampoo and conditioner the second day even though we were almost out. The shower was a low flow fixture so it seemed like a lot of water was coming out, however, you pretty much only got misted.

The room also includes a K-cup style coffee maker in the room and they provide regular, decaf and hot chocolate.

The fitness center was very huge and included both dumbbells and barbells included a cable machine and several treadmills/rowing machines.

The water park is attached to the hotel as well as the restaurants in the resort so you never have to leave the heated interior unless of course you want to ski. (The skiing was GREAT BTW)

We dined at the Foundry and Alice’s table. More on those in another review.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back. I think they need to work some of the kinks out of the hotel which will make it perfect. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful and couldn’t have been more accommodating. Hats off to them.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BBuddy
MoveUp_JPR, Manager at Jay Peak Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
100% agreement, we definitely need to improve upon the signage in there (and have almost completed the necessary tweaks as I write) and we need to add a half dozen luggage carriers as well. Opening a Hotel is never easy and, while we're happy we've gotten a lot of it worked out, I can't imagine we'll ever be finished tweaking. I sincerely appreciate your comments though and hope to see you back to get another look/review.

Best regards and thanks again

Steve Wright
VP Hospitality, Sales and Marketing.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

My friends and I headed up to VT for a ski weekend and had a great time at Jay Peak. The resort is at the base of the mountain so getting on and off is so easy. The mountain is great. Trails are beautiful with a variety of scenic well groomed trails. The resort also features a water park with insane slides and a surf pool. All in all - great weekend. I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Ok the place is beautiful and that is the best thing I can say about this place. Yes the kids had a great time at the ski slopes and water park. However, this place has no customer service throught out the resort.
First, they messed up our reservation that my sister and I had made two months in advance. We had asked to be on the same floor. Oops there was no record of such and they could not accommodate it at the time of check in.
Second, when we pulled up to the front of the hotel to check in. At least , that was our intention but the valet boy was MIA. There were lines of car waiting. Narrow driveway. After twenty min of waiting , few cars moved so we could pull to the front to get our stuff out. No help and dolly available. So three kids and few much needed equipments were hauled to the the lobby. Only then valet boy appears.
So we get over this, it is my birthday weekend. We want to enjoy.
We go to the clubhouse Grille for which we made reservation weeks in advance.
Ok service and ok food. No flavor!
We stayed in room 312 at the tram house. So it is now 9 pm and everyone is tired including the little ones. Do not stay in this room. It is above the bar. Loud live music from the bar below until 1 am vibrated the floors of our room. 5-6 phone calls no one could do anything about it.
The next day I spoke to David Hayes, the manager after several request and almost shouting at this time. He was nice and offered to not charge us for that night. It is now Saturday , my birthday.
I had called and asked for their nicest restaurant. Alice's table. I had made reservation weeks in advance.
So I call to confirm the time.. Ops, wait they have no record of it and guess what they are all booked,
I explain to Kimberly , the hostess, that it was my birthday and there is no way I had not made the reservation, so she said it will be hard but we will accommodate you. Sounds nice enough!
We arrive at the time she can accommodate. 20 min of waiting, we have no service. Kimberly comes to
Our table to apologize that she forgot to tell the waiter that we were seated. Ok we can get pass that.
45 min later we place orders for appetizers and food. Again, no service, 1hr and 20 min later we get appetizers. 2 hrs after arrival our partially bloody steaks and dinner arrives. Pointed that we ordered med well done not rare, the food goes back. 10 min later the black burned steaks come back. It has now been 2hrs and30 min. Our three kids along w my sisters two were exhausted and bored and not to mention starved.
I had just about lost it.
So Lily, the manager offered to not charge. Big deal . My birthday dinner and our time was already wasted. What a waste of time!
So my advice, don't go to stay this resort. Not worth the headache.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank Mitracnm
Normally, saying that the only thing you can say about us is that we're beautiful and the kids enjoyed the skiing and the waterpark is pretty sufficient. Not in this case. Sounds like, with respect to Customer Service, Dave Hayes did what he could in making allowances for your inconvenience despite being told by the Bar Manager, the band and the bar staff that the band ended their set promptly at 10pm. Regardless, I understand what a pia it can be when things go wrong, which they inevitably do, on vacation-especially across your birthday. Between our GM comping you a night, our Hostess re-aligning the reservation sheet to find a table and our Front of house manager comping your meal, I'm not so sure a case can be made for poor Customer Service here. What it does appear, however, is that we failed on the service end and, for that, there is as little excuse. If you would like to email be backchannel at swright@jaypeakresort.com we can try and arrange amends. If you prefer to stay far away, I will offer you apologies on behalf of myself and my staff and sincere hope that your next birthday is infinitely better, wherever you land.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast ...
#1 of 2 in Montgomery Center

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!