“This Canadian Family can't wait to come back!”
Review of Jay Peak Resort

and 1 more site!
Jay Peak Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jay
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We live in Ottawa so for us to choose a waterpark/hotel vacation, Jay Peak is the answer! We used to drive to Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls but not anymore! A short (for us) 3 1/2 hour drive and we were there. As I write this review, I am sitting in our hotel room in the Jay Hotel, in front of my warm and cozy gas fireplace. I gave this vacation 5 stars and will list all the tips/positives then will end with a few suggestions as I know Management reads these.

I read the negatives before coming. We were here the weekend of Feb 17-19 and the hotel was 100% sold out. So, we were worried as well that the waterpark would be unbearably crowded. It was full but I disagree with other reviewers. We rarely waited more than 10 minutes for any water slide. It seems that they HAVE address the issue of overselling the park. Yes, there were towels/stuff everywhere but that's because people were occupying the chairs/tables. I watched and everyone seemed to have a place to put their stuff. The outdoor hot tub was HOT and not a wet towel or cup in sight.

We stayed in a Queen room with a pull-out for the kids. There was a kitchenette with a microwave, 2-burner ceran stove top, kettle, Keurig coffee brewer, toaster and bar-sized fridge. I had called to ask about in-room amenities, so we brought lots of food and snacks. Handy! Our room had a working gas fireplace and one of the nicest bathrooms we've ever seen, and like other reviewers, we travel a lot.

We ate at the Foundry Pub & Grille. We were shocked when my 5 yr-old got her kids' meal pizza. It was at least 12" across! 8 slices! We were able to have it for lunch the next day as well. If you have two kids, they could very easily share it. Ditto the kids' meal Mac and cheese. It would feed an adult easily and tasted incredible...not "kiddy" Mac n' cheese at all...

As for tiny suggestions, I have a few. The web site could do far better at advising what the room features are. I realize now that this is because not all rooms have all the things our room did, however, even a simple list of the basics like an in-room safe, hair dryer, microwave etc., would be helpful. I had to call and bother staff with a question that could have been answered on the web site.

I love the individual Keurig coffee makers! We asked for hot chocolate K-cups for the kids and there weren't any. Huh? It's winter!!

No fans in the bathrooms. I still don't understand this when hotels do this.

There should be some sort of washable mattress pad/cover on the mattress of the pull-out couch. When we made up the bed and realized there would only be a thin sheet between the mattress and our kids, we were a little weirded out. I think even a thin cover would still allow the couch to be folded up. And if it won't, provide a clean mattress cover with the sheets/blankets.

Finally, there needs to be one more garbage at the end of the waterpark near the stairs to the slides and entrance to the lazy river. I saw quite a few half-empty cups left sitting because kids had nowhere to throw them before climbing the stairs.

The staff is wonderfully attentive and cement above and beyond to ensure our stay was enjoyable. It worked. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchenette and bring snacks/food!
3  Thank ProudOakwaterOwner
There are newer reviews for Jay Peak Resort

Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at one of the Golf and Mountain and Condos for a weekend and had a fantastic stay. The accomodations were spacious and comfortable and within a very short distance to skiing and the waterpark. The complimentary shuttle made getting around very convenient and we used that both days. The skiing conditions were great, especially considering the low snowfall this year. We use the waterpark both days and we all enjoyed it very much. My only criticism was that the locker rooms were far too small and it was difiicult to use them because they were so crowded. Everything else was great, including the food (we tried the pizza place and the Foundry). I highly reccomend this resort.

4  Thank dsturges11
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The customer service was amazing, the staff is very friendly and goes above and beyond to ensure your stay is enjoyable. We stayed in a two bedroom at the new hotel it was spacious and the full kitchen help reduce costs by cooking meals in. The water park was a blast and it kept the little ones entertained as well as the adults. All of the upgrades have changed this great ski mountain into a great ski resort.

1  Thank Canes99
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This was our first time at Jay Peak, and we stayed at the Clubhouse Suites (Franklin Room). They are spacious, nicely decorated, and exceptionally quiet. The staff are very helpful. Even though it is only a short walk to the amenities, realistically if you are lugging ski stuff or going to the waterpark (wet hair, freezing cold) you will want to drive or take the shuttle.

The mountain was beautiful and we really enjoyed the skiing. Given the bizarre weather this winter, the conditions were very good. The morning skiing was fantastic but by the end of the day many trails were getting icy. The tram lineup was 20-30 minutes but the lift waits were generally less than 5 minutes.

The waterpark exceeded our expectations. The kids (11, 9, and 6 yrs old) loved it and stayed for hours every evening after skiing. I was impressed that the facility appealed to people of all ages. In addition to young kids there were lots of teens & young adults on the surfer and the larger/faster slides, and older adults in the hot tubs and lazy river. I liked that the hot tubs were actually hot; I find that at some resorts and the water is tepid. The only minor disappointment was the lack of routine cleaning around the outdoor hot tub. Both times I went, there were dozens of empty cups and soggy towels everywhere. However, the rest of the facility was very clean.

We enjoyed our suppers at Alice's Table, and The Foundry Pub & Grille. The meals, ambiance and service were all very good. Mountain Dick's Pizza is cafeteria style without much ambiance but the food was good. The bar has a great vibe - just wish it was bigger!

Overall I was really impressed with Jay Peak. Based on our experience I would strongly recommend it to friends, and we will be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank IR8U
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I spent two days here and will spend many more. It is a bit of a drive from Coastal Maine and I arrived in a blizzard. The Tram was closed but the lower mountain was open and the glades were thigh deep in powder! I was in heaven! I had a one bedroom at the Tram Haus and found it to be very upscale and sophisticated. The room had a little kitchenette, luxurious bedding and state of the art bathroom. Lovely view too! There is an equipment facility to keep your gear just steps away from the door to the tram. I enjoyed a delicious meal in the restaurant, very locavore and gourmet. Next morning I was on the first tram to get first tracks and the day was crystalline and blue but very cold. The scenery was so spectacular from the top that I almost forgot to ski! I headed down the ridge and plunged into the glades where I stayed all day, just skied right through lunch (I always pack emergency rations). The glades are so expansive that I rarely saw others for the most part. That night I ate in the bar and while more casual than the restaurant the food is very good and the place is decorated with all the old tram cogs and cables - really really cool. There was a spa facility that looked inviting and I regret not visiting it.
Since I have visited they have opened their new family hotel and waterpark so it is now completely worth the drive!

Room Tip: Nice to have view but you really just see it in the morning.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank LadyAga
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Just got back from Jay Peak and were blown away by the resort. Everything seems brand new (much is). We stayed in the new 3 level golf condos and were literally the first to stay there. They did a fantastic job with these units as there is everything you need from full kitchen to wireless Internet. Golf units are a few minutes walk to main hotels etc. We stayed in 2 bedroom unit with 2 full baths, 2 balconies, parking outside unit. Great place to stay with families as you have fridge, oven, etc. We're planning to head back soon.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Ballagher
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I cannot express enough of the great family memories Jay Peak has given us.....I have been visiting Jay for over 2 years with my family including a 10, 8 & 4 year old. We have had nothing but positive, joyful moments within the resort. The service at both The Foundry and Alice's Table has always been personable and accommodating. As well, the food is excellent at both locations! The waterpark was busy on New Years Eve...but who wouldn't be?...It was a great choice to attend the waterpark as a family for some of the evening, and we expected to take turns with others being that it was a holiday weekend. Unfortunately, there has not been much snow due to Mother Nature, but it seems the groomers are still working ALL night! I've also noticed great work ethic amongst all Jay Peak employees! The ski rental shop has always been courteous and helpful. We have also thoroughly enjoyed the public skating and/or stick & puck in their new Ice Haus Arena(absolutely incredible). Our overall experience with Jay Peak Resort has been nothing but successful! Jay Peak is located in the country and offers plenty for a family to enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KylieVermont
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jay
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast ...
#1 of 2 in Montgomery Center

Been to Jay Peak Resort? Share your experiences!