“Delightful Christmas Eve Dinner"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: German, Swiss, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Delightful Christmas Eve Dinner"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We chose this charming Vermont Inn for our family Christmas Eve dinner and were delighted with our choice. While I knew Michel and Bonnie, the owners, from a social context before, I had never come to their restaurant as a customer. The atmosphere was warm and convivial, candles, fire, couch... Service was super prompt, the staff helpful, and the food excellent. We were thrilled with the 5-cheese fondue as a generous appetizer for two, and everyone enjoyed their selections (sauerkraut, rabbit, trout, schnitzels). The only sad thing was that we were too full to try the great looking desserts.

• Visited December 2011

London
“Great little place, good food and value for money.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

This is a small and cosy little restaurant. The staff are very attentive and the food is good in relation to the price. As the chef is Swiss it really is Switzerland in Vermont.

White Plains, New York
“Closed? Temporarily I hope.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Their website doesn't say so, but we passed by for dinner and the gates were closed. Sadly, they (like the rest of Vermont) were affected by Hurricane Irene. From which, by the way, Vermont has done an amazing job of restoration, thanks to their independent spirit.

But we were SO looking forward to Asta's, since they have the best wiener schnitzel you'll ever eat.

I hope they open up again soon, I'd hate to think one of the good places is gone.

• Visited October 2011
Short Hils, NJ
“Something different for a once-in-a-while treat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My family had dined at Asta's 3 times in the last two years. We have a condo in the Mt. Snow area so it's a hike for dinner through dark, winding roads in winter, but with more daylight it's actually a pretty scenic ride up Rt 100 along the river. Much more convenient to the Stratton area. Anyway, it's a very cute, very quaint place, wood paneling, friendly Bernese Mountain Dog to greet you, a yard of chickens and sheep and pretty little herb and vegetable patch outside. Ask for a table in the main dining room especially in winter; during a busy February week we ate in the 'front' room (where the bar is) and it was so cold in there, they'd set up a space heater next to the table. In season a porch-type room overlooking the river is lovely but only accomodates tables for two.

The first time we went was Easter Sunday and Chef Michel himself described the specials and took our order. I had the grilled chicken breast with slices of succulent ham (cut from his Easter ham special, no doubt) and a glaze of cheese melted on the top. It was light but very flavorful. I've also tried the sauerbraten (small portion but tender and tasty) and most recently a knock-out chicken stew just loaded with morels and other 'exotic' mushrooms in a creamy sauce. My husband always orders some type of schnitzel (there are 5 or 6 varieties) and they have been 3-for-3 good choices. My preteen daughter is smitten with the filet mignon...the priciest entree on the menu, yes, but each time she was given a very large portion, fork-tender with herbed butter melting into the juices. My teenaged son has enjoyed the trout and several 'wurst' dishes, including the most recent "Swiss Grill" featuring a half portion of beef fillet, a grilled chicken breast with savory mushroom sauce, and two halfs of two types of sausage. Quite a meal! The dinners come with a nicely composed salad (get the maple vinaigrette) that includes shredded beets, hot-from-the-oven rolls, a choice of spatzel or bacon-laced roesti, sauteed red cabbage and steamed seasonal vegetables (green beans, zucchini, carrots, etc). The desserts have been uneven in our experience...my son's Black Forest Cake was practically oozing with strongly flavored liquor, the server really should have warned us before serving it to a minor. My daughter and I shared chocolate fondue - $15 but very generous with the sliced fresh fruit and berries, chunks of pound cake, fun shaped marshmellow (the pretzel rods were unfortunately stale). She loved it but the chocolate was a tad too sweet for me (I prefer more bitter Belgian chocolate). Best bet is the "Matterhorn", an enormous brownie sundae topped with a peak of whipped cream, almonds and chocolate drizzle, big enough to share!

I have not tried the raclette. We splurged one night on the fondue appetizer (and I do mean splurge...it starts at $52!) and it was delicious and having made cheese fondue myself I can appreciate how expensive imported cheeses are and how labor-intensive it is...you have to keep stirring and pay constant attention to it, you can't just set it on the stovetop and walk away to attend to another dish...but wow for $23 per person and then you have to pay extra if you want apples or potatoes to dunk (it comes with bread and a crock of pickles)...I think he'd sell a lot more and thus make up the margin in volume.

As for the service, no issues, this most recent time we had a lovely German exchange student from Bennington College whose blond hair, apple-cheeks and lilting accent fit right with the Alpine theme. It is a small, homey place, the food is very fresh and cooked to order so allow yourself time to enjoy a leisurely evening. The only odd note was when I'd called to make the reservation, I'd asked for 6:15-6:30 time frame. The woman who'd answered the phone (a different woman) said "hmmmm...how about 5:45". A little tight for us as we'd had day plans and were coming a distance, but OK. When we arrived, another couple pulled in at the same time. When we left, there was one table in the midst of dinner and another couple leaving with us. That's it. No other cars in the parking lot, no other tables taken. Perhaps the Swiss go to bed early and they didn't want to take late reservations! In any event, this isn't a place that you'd go to every ski weekend and I'm not sure it's the place for very young or a large group of children (no kid menu, no crayons, etc) but once a season or for a special occasion it's worth the trip and the price.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lshstone2003
Brattleboro, Vermont
“Switzerland in Vermont”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Absolutely fabulous meal! Have eaten here several times with my Swiss husband and we keep going back. I think I had The Best osso bucco ever and the fondue and raclette absolutely authentic!! The restaurant is cozy and the ambiance according to the season. In winter, two fireplaces and summer grill out back next to a beautiful river. The innkeeper is an amazing gardener and the grounds are impeccable. Looked at the rooms and would like to send friends there or have a romantic getaway ourselves. One of the best chefs in the area!!

1 Thank SusieVermont