“Quiet, friendly, clean, relaxing stay”
Review of Fitch Hill Inn

Fitch Hill Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in the green mountain suite. The one downstairs. Definitely go for the suite it's worth it! Nice stove fireplace, whirlpool type tub is spacious. Room
It self was spacious with small tv, microwave, keurig and fridge. Anything you forgot they have, toothbrush, shaving cream, razors etc. Everything is very clean. It's on a dead end street so it's very quiet. Cookies in the afternoon, hot water and cider out as well. Breakfast was great. Three course, homemade muffins, eggs or french toast and warm fruit. Very accommodating for food allergies, they made me some amazing gluten and dairy free muffins both days and pancakes the second day! My boyfriend had cream cheese and blueberries stuffed french toast. Try the apple butter and maple cream spread you will die its so good!!
It was a short 30 min ride to smugglers and 15 to stowe. Go to bees knees if you like local food with a little hippe local flare. The whip in stowe was nice for a romantic night out.
Wineries are also nice up there. Never crowded.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My bf and I visited the Inn during Valentine's day. Upon entering our room we noticed a bag of chocolate dipped strawberries and sherry! What a pleasant surprise. The breakfast was delicious and the set up allowed for lovely conversations with other guests and Julie & John. I will undoubtedly come back and recommend the Fitch Hill Inn to anyone visiting the Stowe area. There are a lot of other options in the vicinity, but I doubt any others will provide the same intimate feel as the Fitch Hill Inn does. Other amenities include to die for chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, apple cider and tea after 3 pm every day, tooth paste, shampoo, shower cap and a few other must have toiletries (refilled every day), 2 bottles of water (refilled every day) and a relaxing sound machine that lulled me to sleep (I slept with the ocean wave mode). Thank you J & J! I will be back as soon as work permits.

Room Tip: My room (the Quebec) room was sunny, which I loved.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

this inn far exceeded our expectations. the rooms, the breakfast, the hospitality, the whole atmosphere was exceptional. we will be back. highly recommended. and priced right too. within reach of ski areas or fall foliage tours, you feel out of the way and peaceful and relaxed. there is something for every season in the area.

Room Tip: the suites are very nice as they have a whirlpool tub and gas fireplace.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have made many trips to the lovely state of Vermont since April 2013 as our daughter and grand daughter selected Johnson State College as her school of higher learning. Not familiar with the state, we have stayed at several hotels, B & B's and resorts, but we have now truly found a home away from home. We arrived at the Inn and was met by Julia and John with such warmth we felt we had met them before. We were given a tour, and noticed the coffee, cookies, teas and cider set out for us even before we reached our room. We had every convenience of home in our room which was immaculate and very homey. All of those little items we sometime forget were in our room, from cosmetics, dryer, ironing board and iron, water, chocolates, and even wine. What more could you ask for? Our breakfast was ready at the time we requested, and what a gourmet breakfast. If you have dietary issues, and they are made aware of them, they will do their best to accommodate you. Will I return, you bet I will. This is the best B&B I have stayed in. I just hope that they will be able to accommodate me the next time I'm in Vermont.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am torn about writing this review. On the one hand, this is one of the best B&B's I have stayed in. On the other, a review that would do this B&B justice would doubtlessly attract other patrons, and may interfere with my ability to reserve a room at this hidden gem at the precise time of my choosing!
But, here it goes. We have been staying with Julie and John around Christmastime for 4 years now. Its been such a warm and special experience every time! The hosts are wonderful, and you feel so welcome in their home. We also made friends with other regular guests, so we truly felt at home during each of our stays. The inn is very aesthetic. It has been tastefully restored by the owners, up to the smallest details. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are tastefully decorated. The wonderful quilts made by Julie and the woodwork and furniture made by John are beautiful. Each room has been restored in a different style, but all have beautiful artwork, antique furniture and wallpaper decor. And then, of course there are the small touches that make staying at Fitch Hill a truly special experience, like the regal breakfast (John's muffins are amazing!), the homemade cookies and apple cider in the afternoon, the sweet liquor in our room that greeted us upon arrival and the wonderful book, game and music collections we could use while staying at the inn. Every time we return, we are reminded how lucky we are to have found this special place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed 4 nights xmas week and it exceeded our expectations. I’m writing this in detail b/c it was so much fun to stay there it’s worth my while to write about. We were greeted with a warm crackling fire, hot tea or cider and homemade cookies. The whole house was festively decorated inside and out. The house itself is originally from the late 1700’s so it’s quite the treat to look at. There were two rooms for sitting; besides the one which greeted us, another one had reading material, DVD’s and music CD’s to choose from and an assortment of games. Once upstairs there was a kitchenette area with teas, hot water, a Krugric coffee maker, cold bottled water and a frig and microwave. A computer was in the hall for general use (although my husband said it was slower than the one we brought), extra towels and cute battery lighted candles that really looked real. The room was very nice, with a new wall TV which played DVD’s or CD’s. Very clean. Complimentary toiletries. Little carafe of sherry with two delicate glasses. Breakfast was fabulous. Each morning started with fresh muffins/biscuits and really good coffee. (I bought some of the coffee/tea mugs b/c they were so cute) Then some kind of fruit but tastefully presented; everything was presented with that extra flair! Then came the main serving that always included some protein unless you didn’t want it. One day was pumpkin and banana pancakes with sausage, another day was French toast filled with cream cheese and blueberry compote on top and real maple syrup. They said they would accommodate any dietary preferences but we liked everything. We found the hosts to be professional but funny and witty. They both seem like very hard workers and very serious about providing the best service possible; we were always impressed by their attention to detail. Christmas day they left us a present in the room which was just so thoughtful. We would stay again for sure but after seeing the downstairs suite, we would spend the extra money to stay in that room…really nice looking.

Room Tip: suites look very spacious and in hindsight, worth the extra money when we book again
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We arrived rather late in the afternoon to discover a plate of cookies and a cozy wood stove waiting for us.

Our room was tidy and spacious. The jet tub and gas fireplace were fabulous after our frigid hike up and slide down Mt. Mansfield!

I have to eat gluten and whey-free, and I have never had such a delicious breakfast at any of the numerous inns at which I have stayed.

This B&B is perfect!!!

#1 of 2 in Jeffersonville
Brass Lantern Inn
Brass Lantern Inn
#2 of 22 in Stowe

Been to Fitch Hill Inn? Share your experiences!