“Windekind is always wonderful."”
Review of Windekind Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntington
Windekind Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Huntington B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My wife and I have been coming to Windekind Farm on a regular basis, in all seasons, for more than three years. It represents the best of Vermont, old and new--always warm, welcoming, with breathtaking Green Mountain scenery and host/owners who have created a very special place, through four decades of painstaking (and, in some cases, back-breaking) work on the property. If Robert Frost were still with us, he'd have written a poem about Windekind. Good fences make good neighbors and Mark and Marijke Smith make good friends with all who visit their farm. Bring your skis in winter, your hiking boots in spring, summer and fall. One visit will lead to another and another and another. Soon you will be wishing you lived in Huntington year round too!
Steve Early
Arlington, Mass.
(Lsupport@aol.com)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 31, 2010

It looks like a scene from the European countryside; perfect country buildings and a cottage right out of a fairy tale. It has a handmade train, big enough to ride, that whooshes around the property. There are cows and dogs--and they welcome your dogs--and it has glorious mountains. It has what even the best country inns don't have, a feeling of stillness, tranquility and peace.
Windekind is a work of art. You must make your own food arrangements, however, either cooking food or bringing food in. It has a very well equipped kitchen that is very comfortable to work in or be in. There is a farmer's market at a nearby town with fresh, locally grown food and excellent home baked goods. (Look for breads and pies by baker Ann Goss--she's marvelous.) The cottage has a dvd player, cd player and WIFI. There is no Verizon cell phone service, but there is a land line that takes calling cards for long distance calls. We loved being out of touch, for a change.
Windekind is a place to read, to listen to music, to hike, to relax and to let Vermont soothe and heal. Proprietors Mark and Marijke Smith have created a real gem. As remote as it feels, it is only 1/2 hour from Burlington, a delightful city
It 's the best place we've ever found and we've been going to Vermont every summer for 30 years.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

An absolutely beautiful, isolated, one of a kind place to get away from it all in rural Vermont. Wonderful place for adults to unwind and kids to run and play -- explore the gardens, greet the cows, pet the dogs, ride on the owner's amazing small-gauge railroad (he makes the locomotives and rails himself!), catch frogs, go birdwatching, hiking, stargazing and more.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights in the studio, it has every amenity you could want, ample space for two, a good kitchen, nice bathroom, and a very comfortable bed. the views out of the bedroom windows were great to wake up to.
Even though we got alot of snow while we were there, between Mark and the town plows we had no trouble getting up and over the mountain. But it made the snow shoeing was great!
One of the nicest parts of our stay was being adopted by one of Mark's dogs named Elsa, we left our dogs home because of medical issues they both have, it was nice to have another dog to play and hang out with.
Mark was a great help with directions and local info, along with the maps provided at check in.
One great find was an Italian restaurant in Burlington named Pulcinettis, fantastic seafood!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2010

There is nothing like waking up to the bright sunshine and a snow-covered field, gazing out at the mountains on the horizon! Windekind Farm provides just the kind of romanticized perfection you'd want from a winter's stay in Vermont.

We stayed in The Studio, a small, renovated apartment on the top level of a barn. The apartment offers everything two folks might need -- a well-equipped kitchen (gas stove, oven, microwave, a dishwasher; and a built-in dining table); a functional bathroom (the claw-foot tub/shower worked just fine, but some might find it awkward); a cozy living area (HD DirecTV, DVD, stereo, free Wi-Fi, and a very comfortable leather sofa); and a charming bedroom (with an EXTREMELY comfortable queen-size bed -- seriously, this bed was more comfortable than any hotel bed we slept in on this trip).

We enjoyed sleeping late, preparing a large breakfast, and walking around the farm. Mark, the owner, provided us with maps to trails and offered the use of snowshoes. He also pointed out shops and restaurants in neighboring towns.

In short, we had a very relaxing stay and we would definitely return. While we would definitely recommend Windekind to others, we would offer a few bits of advice. We were there in the middle of the winter with snow covering all the roads -- and even though we were only 10 or so miles from I-89, it felt very remote! We knew this in advance and stocked up at the Shaw's Supermarket in Waterbury before our arrival.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2009

When my husband recommended we come here I was a little unsure, since I am not an outdoors person. The website talked about hiking and cross country skiing, and my husband has been fishing here. None of those things really interest me. Since my husband spoke so highly of Windekind and the wonderful hosts I was open to try it.

It turns out to be an absolutely beautiful location - not far from the Greater Burlington area, where we live, yet with a feel of being away. We were there in mid-October and the foliage was phenomenal. Mark told us about some hiking trails, and despite being somewhat skeptical, I truly enjoyed the hike. There were gorgeous views and the hike was not too difficult.

We stayed in the Breidablick Cottage. It was so comfortable, and the wood stove provided ample heat. We enjoyed sitting and watching the fire.

We planned ahead for our dinner and brought food for dinner and breakfast. I'm glad we did so we didn't have to go anywhere to get anything - we could just stay and enjoy.

I have Verizon and didn't have cell phone service. I am glad I brought my laptop and was able to take advantage of their broadband wireless. They do have DirectTV, although we didn't watch much.

I hope we can come back again soon. It was absolutely wonderful. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vtcharger
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My husband and I have been vacationing in Vermont annually since 1999, changing our base location each year - that is, until 2006, when we located and stayed at Windekind Farm. Since 2006, we have returned to Windekind Farm each year – never considering another place. We will be heading back to Windekind Farm soon, for our fourth year, and for us, the place has become the old familiar sweater that you pull out of the draw each fall.

Mark and Marijke are wonderful hosts. They have on the mark recommendations on which towns to visit, where to pick up free range meats and organic produce from local farms and markets, and the other great secrets of Vermont.

The Studio is perfect for a couple. We buy local meat and produce and prepare breakfasts and dinners in the kitchen – which comes equipped with the essentials. We’ve baked whole chickens, made soup, and entertained friends who were staying in Breidablick. We spend most of our days out and about, visiting the various towns in Vermont but we have spent a few days just hanging around the farm, exploring the many trails that encircle the valley.

The setting is stunning. The farm is situated in a valley surrounded by the mountains. With no light pollution, the star-gazing is endless, and the nights are exceptionally quiet and peaceful. The landscaping, the gardens and Mark’s railroad provide additional opportunities for exploration.

I’ve been delinquent in submitting my review. Part of me wants to keep this place a secret so I’ll always have the opportunity to stay there but the other part of me wants to recognize Mark & Marijke for being so kind and generous in sharing their wonderful space with the rest of us.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cyclingnswva

Been to Windekind Farm? Share your experiences!