“Hiker's paradise”
Review of Windekind Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntington
Windekind Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Huntington B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Hiker's paradise”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in the studio October 2012- my wife, me and our dog. The setting was absolutely beautiful- every morning we'd take off with our little dog into the surrounding hills. The weather wasn't always the greatest, but we had a great time nonetheless.

Mark and Marijke, super nice folks, had lots of great suggestions for hikes beyond the farm: e.g. Little River State Park, the Long Trail, Camel's Hump.

Mark's railway workshop was astounding! What incredible work!!

The studio was very comfortable- be sure to close your door solidly, or you'll have a visitor in the night: Elsa the Lab. What a nice dog!!! The oven does take a bit of getting used to, but there is also a microwave.

The location is ideal- just a short drive to all kinds of hiking trails, Burlington, Waterbury, Stowe, etc. And if a scenic drive is your thing, Mark will steer you in the right direction.

We're hoping to get back in the winter for some cross-country skiing.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed for 4 days in the studio with our dog. We had no real plans for our visit, but had an absolutely amazing time. The studio itself was the perfect size for the two of us and our dog (+ Elsa when she came over to visit). Decor was charming, the bed and pillows were super comfortable, and the view out the bedroom window first thing in the morning is just breathtaking. I currently have a picture that I took out the window as my computer screen saver...just gorgeous.
The grounds of the farm are stunning, and the trails around the property are beautiful and fun to hike. We actually got engaged underneath the archway in the owner's front yard. Our photos are just beautiful. :)
Mark gave us a folder with some area highlights and a map of the trail around the property, both of which we put to good use. We had dinner one night at Sonoma Station---check hours of operation before going...they're strange---but the food was absolutely phenominal. The little market (I forget the name) that's nearby was the perfect place to grab a snack or some local treats.

Overall, we had an amazing time at Windekind and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Maybe for our honeymoon :)

1 Thank Kate D
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After our wedding, we were looking for a place to spend a few nights and relax! Windekind was the perfect place to set up a home base for day trips around the area. It's remote, but is within a reasonable drive of attractions in Burlington, Montpelier, etc. The property was gorgeous even in the rain. The studio was a great spot for a couple, with a cozy living area and kitchen that let us take advantage of local food. The owners were very helpful about the area and directed us to local vendors and stores. We will make it a point to come back here!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My old lady and I just got back from staying here for a couple of nights and we had an amazing time, despite it being rainy most of our stay! The owners could not have been nicer and the views were absolutely breathtaking. We stayed in the house up on the hill and enjoyed looking out the window so much that I am afraid I have about 80 pictures of the same shot because it was just so gorgeous!
While the weather wasn't on our side for getting out and hiking around, we were able to cozy up and make a fire and enjoy the slower pace of life in the woods.
I would highly recommend this place. Well worth it!

Saint Albans, Vermont
Reviewed September 30, 2012

When my now husband and I decided to tie the knot, we wanted to have the wedding at a unique place that captured all of Vermont's beauty. After lots of searching, I came across Windekind. It looked perfect, and after one visit to the property, I knew that this was the place that we had been searching for. The views were breath taking, the gardens looked like something right out of a country magazine, and the cottages on the property were gorgeous. I have lived in Vermont my whole life, and my husband's family is from New Jersey. We wanted to show all of our guests from out of town why we loved Vermont so much, and why it was such a wonderful place to live in. As we knew they would be, our guests were amazed. Most said that it was the most beautiful place they had ever seen. From the mountain sunset, the cows grazing in the background, and the miniature train with a very knowledgable conductor, everything was perfect.
The owners, Mark and Marijke were so helpful. They were happy to give advice, let us borrow things needed from their home, and they even let our caterer take over their kitchen for a bit.

My family stayed at the cottage on the property for the weekend, and had a hard time saying goodbye. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding, or more gracious hosts. I would recommend Windekind to anyone looking for a beautiful place for a wedding, or just a relaxing weekend get-away. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
St. James, NY
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife, my 16-yr old son and I stayed in the larger of the two spaces - Breidablick Cottage. It was so quiet and serene.... The gardens were beautiful, the forest was inviting, the mountains surrounding us were majestic. A lovely place to stay for a few days and unwind. The gravel road getting there was a bit more gravel than I'd like, but once you're there you'll never want to leave! We only met Mark but he was kind and gracious, a very nice man... Our son really loved their dog, too!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My daughter's wedding was in early August and Windekind Farm was breath-takingly beautiful! Our guests from around the country were gushing with enthusiasm for this unique and lovely spot for our very special wedding. Entirely worth the trip in all regards. Comfortably close to Burlington for our guests' lodging; the families loved staying at the farm. A magical location, spectacular gardens, peaceful views... and the Smiths are a delight to work with. Perfect in all ways for one looking for a country wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sue b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Capitol Plaza
Capitol Plaza
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Windekind Farm? Share your experiences!