“a bit expensive, but a great dining experience overall”

Hinesburgh Public House
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Hinesburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mechanicsville Rd & Rt 116
Transit: http://hinesburg.org/hinesburg_rides.html http://www.cctaride.org/pdf/Current%20Web%20Schedules/February%202013%20schedules/46.pdf
Description: We are a community supported restaurant serving dinners made from scratch with locally sourced food. We have a full bar with 12 craft beers on tap. Outdoor dining available in season.
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“a bit expensive, but a great dining experience overall”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

first let me say that the food quality is very good and largely utilises local indregients (something I value increasingly). it is rather expensive, though, so i would not consider it an extraordinary value.

I have never encountered the long waits that some previous reviewers have mentioned. I have young kids, though, so most of my visits have been for lunch or an early dinner. it is also a nice place to grab a drink after work (they open @ 3:30 during the week), although the bar is smallish and gets crowded sometimes.

so, although it is not amazing it is a fine local choice with great food and friendly, competent staff. you certainly won't encounter a better dining experience in hinesburg or surrounding communities--you'd likely need to go to Burlington to find its' equivalent or something better.

“Standard, nothing great but not horrible”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening. We were told the wait would be 45 minutes for a table, so we found space at the bar in the meantime. Bar area is pretty nice and decent beer selection. When our table was ready, we were sat at an uncomfortable small table near the entrance. We had to settle the bar tab before dinner, but it would have been nice to have it transferred instead. Our server, an older man, was clearly "in the weeds" from the beginning, and it seemed that he was trying to smooth things over with nearby tables who were waiting a while for their entrees. Bad sign. When he did finally come over to us, he still seemed frantic and we felt rushed to place the order. We ordered the mussels, poutine, and pretzels to start. When they arrived the runner did offer another round of beers which we had been waiting to order. The appetizers were just standard, nothing special really. For entrees we had the pulled pork sandwich and burger, and they were okay, again nothing amazing but I believe we did finish them. We passed on dessert, the creepy dessert table up front was definitely not appealing. All in all a "meh" experience, maybe we will try it again but likely not.

Williston, Vermont
“long wait for decent food”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I went on a Friday night Sept 20. We waited 15 minutes for a table. The poutine sp? was liked by my husband but I didn't like it. Mushroom sauce on fries with cheese lumps. My husband had a delicious salad with blue cheese crumbled dressing. He had a great flat or skirt steak, moist and tender and not expensive. I had a special fried clam poboy sandwich which was spicy and very good. Fries were good, not great. It was very noisy in the restaurant with an active bar scene. We waited 45 minutes for the entrée after the app.

Hinesburg, Vermont
“Elegant and Expensive”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great if you like gourmet food. The interior is very clean and beautiful with 'clean lines' and nicely lighted. My experience here is limited, however.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Missy R
Williston, Vermont
“Upscale menu in a spacious pub with terrific service. (see tips)”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife, my son, and me ate here last night for the first time. Overall we were quite happy. This restaurant does not carry your typical deep fried "beer food". Rather, they have nice manageable menu (you cannot do 100 things well) with a varied selection of appetizers and main dishes. I started with a Cesar salad that was fresh and HUGE. I would have preferred something smaller with more dressing and cheese. After the top layer it was mostly just romaine lettuce. We also had their poutine. This is a french Canadian dish consisting of french fries smothered in brown gray and cheese curds. This restaurant did it with portabella mushroom sauce and local cheddar cheese. It was excellent and generous. My wife had the lobster mac and cheese which she found good but a bit bland. There was no shortage of Lobster meat. I share the pulled pork sandwich with my son. It was hot, tangy and fresh. We both loved it. We were not surprised to see their big outdoor smoker as we left the pub. We also tried theire take on clam chowder which just won a local contest that day. It is a chowder moose served on homemade potato chips topped with a fried clam. Excellent !

They also have a really nice selection of well chosen craft beers. This is a great place to try some out.

The restaurant seems quite large and spacious and nicely decorated. I am surprised they did not have a big fireplace in the reception area or towards the front. I think this would have been common in a "public house" back in the day.

Sara, our server was simply perfect. She was friendly, attentive and did not miss a beat. If all of their staff is anything like her they will do very well.

Here are some tips:

1) make sure you try their foccacia bread. It is perfect.
2) if you are a tourist and have never tried the local "Switchback" beer. It is an unfiltered "must".
3)Make sure you look at the daily specials before you decide.
4)Consider reserving a table if you go with a larger party on the weekends.
5)We spotted a separate room with one table that probably accommodates 12 or more. Consider this for a private party or function.

I think they still have to tweak their menu just a bit but overall we were very happy. We will both return and recommend this spot to our friends.

1 Thank PogoSenior