All reviews adult activities same week waiting list mountain biking trivia night dance party kids food bike rides fellow guests activities including meal times cocktail hour quality family time canoe trip planned activities tennis tournament the cottages
Selected filters
Reviewed September 1, 2017

We have 3 kids, and my husband and I are madly in love and enjoy being together. We find that when we go on vacation by ourselves, by about day 5, we miss our kids. But going on a family vacation to a beach or amusement park, by about day 2, we miss some alone time! Tyler Place really has found the magic of combining both - we've gone for 6 years, and we still literally count down the days until the next year (all of us!). Specific reasons I love it:
1) You get to eat 3 meals a day with just your significant other (and with other adults!). Meals, by the way, that are DELICIOUS, and best of all - prepared for you!
2) You feel completely guilt-free about not being with your kids because they are having the time of their lives (pirate treasure hunts, fishing, archery, bonfires, capture the flag, banana boats, swimming, you name it!).
3) Every day, there is a 4 hour block of time between lunch and dinner that is designated as "family time." During this time, you get to enjoy PURE family happiness - there are no meals to prep, cook, or clean. There's no fighting because everyone is happy. There's SO much to do that you get to truly enjoy just being a happy family. 4 hours of true happy family time is worth more than you think. Other "family vacations" we spend at least half of our day being hot/cold, tired, dragged around, stopping for meals no one can agree on, deciding activities to do that everyone will enjoy, breaking up fights, etc.

In 6 years going to Tyler Place, I have never once met 1 family who has been "eh" about it. Do it - you won't regret it.

Reviewed August 29, 2017

I won't repeat all the other reviews. Best family camp. My kids and wife would be heartbroken if we ever choose not to return. This is our 7 or 8th year visiting Tyler Place and we have made such great friends and each year we seem to have an even better time as the friendships deepen. It feels like going home. The food seems to get better each year and the activities just as much fun. My only complaint is that I need to get in better shape because it seems riding up the hills to the Inn or to our cottage seems to be getting harder each year.

The place is unique and charming. Where else would one of the highlights of the week be a champagne cruise on a pontoon boat.

2  Thank jfinkmd
Reviewed August 28, 2017

The trip was amazing literally from the first moment we arrived. We went to our room in the Inn, and the kids went to their groups. They were already talking about coming back next year after the first activity. The food was great every meal. The service was impeccable. The landscaping and maintenance was obviously attentive and top notch. The sign up system made scheduling activities easy and fair. I cant imaging a better place to vacation with your kids. Activities include Guided mountain biking tours, Hiking tours, Champagne Pontoon Boat Sunset Cruise, Heated indoor and outdoor pools, Hot tub, basketball, rock wall climbing, arts and crafts (an entire building for it), trampoleens (in the lake and in the field), Group activities (ropes course, softball, kickball), exercise classes, Yoga for all levels, Game room...

A good and bad thing: There is very poor cell reception and limited WiFi access. It is awesome to unplug and just enjoy your family and the respite, but it can be inconvenient at times. There are plenty of computers available though if you need to do something, and the WiFi worked well in the Lobby.

We truly made a bunch of new friends and we cant wait to see them next year! The Tylers truly make an effort to create a community, not just a vacation.

Room tip: We loved the Inn, it is more like a hotel but the location is so convenient. A cabin with a view of the lake may be really nice though.
1  Thank David F
Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful vacation at Tyler Place. Gorgeous lakefront setting, so many water sports to try, family fishing trips, beautiful pool with water slides, huge splash pad and wading pool for the little ones, nature trails, ropes courses, hammocks, FREE TIME, yoga classes, cocktails, oysters, lobster, bon fires, starry skies, New England summer. Loved.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2017

...and probably more. I rarely write reviews (as you can see by my profile) so a place has to be very special for me to do so.

We just returned from our first visit to Tyler Place. To give you some context, we are a family with three young kids, including an infant. I joked to Chad Tyler at the first evening reception that I found Tyler Place by typing "I need a break" into Google. While that was a bit of hyperbole, it wasn't by much.

The most commonly heard selling point of Tyler Place is the opportunity for adult time, whether it be to pursue your own activities, have conversations that don't revolve around chocolate milk and Paw Patrol, or just do nothing (something I did several of our days there). At this, Tyler Place truly lives up to its reputation. The activities for adults are a lot of fun, there are ample (beautiful) spots on the property to just kick back, and after we relearned how to talk to grownups about something other than our kids, we really enjoyed that time at meals and other activities. Our two older kids (5 and 3) were head over heels for their groups. When we picked our son up from the first night, he told us "I want to come back every day and every night forever". I'm not sure you can get an endorsement better than that. The counselors are SO engaged. I'm honestly not sure how they do it because I zone out after about 15 minutes of playing robots or dolls and yet they do it for a full 8 hours a day and seem joyful about it. They're not playing or talking among themselves -- they are truly playing with the kids. I saw a number of tearful kids at drop off and the counselors are experts at distraction and engagement in a way that turned almost every kid around in a matter of minutes. Our baby had his own one-on-one sitter who was kind, funny, communicative and followed our directions to a "T". She was also incredibly flexible if we wanted to spend family time with our older two or stay out for one of the nightly activities with the adults.

So, there's all that that Tyler Place does and does exceedingly well. I think, though, that I underestimated the gift of planning, or lack thereof. I'm a busy working mom and I spend so much time planning - meals, trips, school, activities, doctors visits, etc. Add to that an intense work schedule and I'm pretty drained. To me the other highlight of Tyler Place is how easy they make everything. No picking restaurants, everyone eats together, there are a lot of choices, and the food really is as good as everyone says. If you want to go kayaking you just walk down to the boat dock, tell the staff there and someone puts one in the water for you. When you come back you just walk away -- no worrying about picking it up, putting it away, etc. I didn't really have to lift a mental finger all week and it was wonderful.

So some thoughts on logistics -- we drove up from the DC area and split the drive up by staying in central NY. It was a great choice, one I wish we had replicated on the way back (because 12 hours in the car with kids is not how you want to end a relaxing vacation). We stayed in the Carriage House which was a beautiful setting -- it was close to a number of other multi-family buildings so our kids made "neighborhood" friends and there's a play area/garden for them to all hang out. I do think we'll try to stay elsewhere next year though because our spot was only 2 rooms with a king in the living room and that was tough with people. It was also a bit far since bikes (everyone visiting gets one) were rendered useless with our kids -- the older two haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet and the baby is still too small for one of the bike seats on the back.

The food is excellent and very clearly marked with nuts, vegetarian, vegan, etc. There is lots of variety and some items so yummy I still think about them every day (cinnamon waffles, mint chocolate chip waffles and chocolate chip banana bread french toast, to name a few).

The first day or so while you're getting to know folks, many of whom have known each other for many years, can be a tad awkward but the Tylers really try to bring you into the fold and by Monday you're an old hat at making new friends.

I can't recommend this place enough. We've already put in our tentative reservation for next year and our kids talk about it every day.

7  Thank aewdc