“Just finished our second vacation at Tyler Place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highgate Springs
Tyler Place Family Resort
Sarasota, Florida
“Just finished our second vacation at Tyler Place”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

There is not much I can add to the many positive reviews found here on Tripadvisor regarding Tyler Place. As a parent of an only child, I can say that Tyler Place is a fantastic place - my son spends the entire day playing with a large group of kids his age, mostly outdoors running around, biking, and swimming in the lake. He sleeps like a log every night and wakes up early, ready to jump on his bike to have breakfast with his friends. It's the sort of day I can remember having when I was a kid, except much better, much more fun! I find Tyler Place to be an excellent value for the price. I have never found any other place so uniquely arranged: there's no need to get in your car, the adult meals and desserts are excellent (and my son reports so are the kids' meals), there is ample time to relax, to spend time with your spouse, to get together with other parents, to play with your kids. All of the logistical problems of vacationing with children are solved by the Tylers and their friendly staff- and I am reminded of this as I write this the week after our vacation; although we are still "on vacation" up in Canada, I have to drive everywhere, pack and unpack as we move from hotel to hotel, answer the question "where are we eating" three times a day, and try to entertain my son in the absence of any other children for him to play with. My only regret is that I didn't learn about Tyler Place sooner! I can recommend Tyler Place as an excellent choice for a memorable summer vacation for all members of your family.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the cabins (the Tylers call them "camps") that dot the grounds. All of...
3 Thank Jim S

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We visited with a 6 year old and a 2.5 year old. Older child loved it, lots of activities every day, had fun with the rest of the kids. Younger child also liked it, drop off the first day was a bit rough, some tears, but after the first two days she was asking to go back and drop off was easy. Ratio of staff to kids in for the youngest was good, 2 or 3 to one. And the staff was uniformly happy and pleasant, worked to make things easy. So the kids loved it, both are asking when they can come back next, and miss it.

The adult activities were amazing and the whole schedule and activities are well thought out. I took a more active path, wife was a bit less so, although we still spent maybe 2/3rds of our time together. And we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner together. We met a lot of really nice people there, and a group of us are all looking forward to coming back the same week next year. You should definitely make it to the cocktail hour the first night, as the Tyler's make an effort to introduce you to other guests that you might enjoy. The dining area has a mix of table sizes, from two person for private meals (we never took that option), to large tables, and for the most part folks are friendly enough that you can jump into any table, or if you sit at a big table by yourself someone will join to and chat. Terribly friendly group, the Tylers and the event facilitators do an excellent job setting the tone and making it inclusive and friendly for adults. My wife and I are not particularly outgoing, so we appreciated the setup and thought that went into everything.

Activities were great. I generally kept active all day long, in an attempt to burn off three large meals and around 6 desserts per day. Mountain biking, climbing wall, sailing lesson, short sprint triathlon, kayak, swimming, cooking class, canoe trip, hike, ropes course, trivia contest. All were excellent. There was a long list of things I didn't have time to do but intend to at some point: Hobie regatta, skeet, water skiing, fly casting, archery, (road) bike trips, hike with a swimming hole at the end. The guys at the dock were good, can stop by and pick up any boat and take it out, and didn't give me a hard time about my sailing mega-fail when my Hobie got pinned against a pontoon boat in a high wind and hung up on the anchor line. Or maybe I freed myself before they noticed.

The food is surprisingly good, and available in vast quantities. Of the seven nights, only one I'd rate mediocre, a duck breast that was rather dry and bland. Lobster night is excellent. I had two whole lobsters, a roughly palm-sized steak, salad, corn cob, and one each of three or four available desserts. I never saw a dish run out. Deserts were diverse and usually delicious. I ran 7 or 8 miles most days, on top of all the above activities, and generally never stopped moving, but still gained 3 pounds during the week due to excessive consumption. Cocktail hour is nice, around a dozen beers on tap. Accommodations are fair, but we spent little time there. Simple, nice airy porch, cleaning staff courteous and thorough. The night life I hear could be a lot of fun, but we generally opted for sleep instead of the late night events, and managed to get a solid 8 hours every night. However many adults either had kids old enough they could leave them alone, or took advantage of the sitters to have them baby sit during the evening.

As I said, we'll be going back again. The family universally felt it was the best vacation ever. Only exception would be the Honeymoon.

1 Thank kenjusa
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We just completed our first trip to the Tyler Place. The Tyler Place far exceeded the high expectations I had going in (after speaking with people who had been there before and reading reviews online).

We have really young kids -- 13 months and almost 3 years old -- and so preparing for and taking vacations usually isn't all that relaxing. This was stress-free from start to finish. I didn't have to bring any paraphernalia (diaper pail, crib, high chair, stroller…all easily supplied and super clean) and the housekeeping staff even cleaned the sippy cups in our sink each day. For this mother of two young toddlers, that's a big help!

The food was delicious, the people were lovely, the facilities well-maintained. You can be as active or as lazy as you want. The Tyler Place has thought of every detail and taken care of it, and has tweaked the experience almost to perfection. This is a wonderful place for kids and families; our toddler son keeps telling us he wants to go back to camp. We also can't wait to return and create more memories for our family.

4 Thank NYCCatLady
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We just returned from our first visit to Tyler Place, and the first thing I need to say is it definitely is what you make of it.

My child (4.5 year old) loved her day camp and had an absolutely wonderful time. We did make to go boxes at lunch and dinner to give her something to munch on after group.

My wife and I had a simply wonderful time, choosing to do nothing but relax a lot of the time.

Our accommodations were "rustic" in that they had no tv or phone, perfect when you're trying to get away from everything. If you need to check emails, there is wifi available, but it can be spotty.

The activities were great, if you wanted to participate, but you didn't have to. We did the climbing wall, low ropes course and spent a lot of time by the pool reading and napping.

The food was also very good, and normally included a vegetarian option.

I'm sure you could find a separate summer camp for less and find a separate adult vacation for less. But to have your summer camp and family trip rolled in to one package was nice, even if it was at a bit of a premium.

We've already looking forward to our trip for next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ferncroft E, which had a kitchen/dining area, really large master bedroom/sitting area...
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We just returned from our third vacation to the Tyler Place Family Resort. We are already looking forward to our visit next Summer!

Parents, you know how you go on vacation with your kids, and you love that they are having a great experience and you get all that nice family bonding, but how you are totally and completely exhausted at the end and look forward to being home in your beds and with your routine??!! Well, imagine going on a vacation where you still get all that family bonding and joy, but feel relaxed, happy, and don't want to ever leave. If you like that dream - GO TO THE TYLER PLACE!

Top of your agenda upon arrival is to get a bike for everyone in the family. Kids get dropped off with their group in the morning at 8:30 to go have breakfast and have fun. They get pool time, pony rides, arts n crafts, fishing, pirate cruise, storytime, etc. The counselors caring for the kids are wonderful and each year our kids just fall in love. (Peter with the Sr Midgets - Delilah said you are the best. Stevie - sending you some tea. Julia - what can I say (hug), and Katie, Shane misses you!) While the kids are playing, grownups enjoy breakfast and then pick their morning activity. (And when I say enjoy, those pancakes might be the best in the world. I'm still thinking about them.) Grownup activities are varied, so enjoy a massage or laze in a hammock, or go biking, kayaking, playing volleyball. Archery lessons and pottery classes! Tennis tournaments! Golf! Something for everyone!

At 1:30, after lunch, you get your kids to have that fun family time. Visit a farm or go on a nature walk. Try fishing or hit the lake or pool. Arts & Crafts or jumping on trampolines!

And at 5:30 - the kids go back for dinner and fun with their friends and counselors. The counselors know how to handle kids who cry, whine, or have special challenges. My 5 year old races to her group, our 2 year old woke up asking for his counselors! The fabulous work of the staff really helped us to relax knowing our kids were in such good hands.

Happy hour for adults includes yummy appetizers and great service. Dinner is delicious. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (If you are complaining about the food here, you just cant ever be happy anywhere. It's excellent.)

At 8:30, kids get picked up, and babysitters are available for adults who want to play. Bonfire nights, jazz night, trivia night, disco party.....its awesome! And one of the coolest things about TP, the staff get to join in with the guests. Its been a pleasure getting to know the quality young adults who work there. Jim is the greatest. Connor and Trevor are just cool. Natalie is a doll. Its unfair to leave people off the list because so many nice folks there.

Chad Tyler is an amazing host and the entire Tyler family I just want to send a warm hug. Our family vacations each year are so important to us. We are thrilled that our kids will grow up with fantastic memories of their annual visit to Vermont.

We love Tyler Place. See you next year, and the next, and the next...

2 Thank JanimalG
Caitlin P, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's wonderful to hear that you (and your kids!) had such an excellent time again. The food, bikes, adult activities, kids' groups, staffing, entertainment... the Tylers put a lot of work into perfecting all these areas, but comments like yours (which I will make sure they see!) make it all worth it.

Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back in 2015!

TP Marketing Assistant
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Tyler Place Resort has completely changed my view of what a family vacation can be. Our family just got home today, and I'm not sure who was sadder to leave--the kids or myself and my husband!

From the outstanding activities (for kids and adults), to the delicious (and HEALTHY!...and lots of vegan/vegetarian) food, to the friendly staff (I mean, I've never seen so many polite, conversant 20-somethings who truly seemed to enjoy hanging out with a bunch of 30- and 40-year-old parents, plus their kids), to the fabulous weather (ahhh...what a relief from the sticky Georgia heat), to the friendly returning guests who made a beeline for the "newbies" (who only constitute about 1/3 of the guests) to make them feel welcome...we were truly running to the front desk to sign up again next year.

I am a pretty picky traveler--it takes a lot for me to dole out the 5-star reviews--but the TP absolutely blew me away. Coming from someone who loves Disney Cruises...our whole family agreed that the TP was better, and if you've been on a Disney Cruise, you know the high standard that they maintain in every aspect. (Plus, the TP is way cheaper than a DC for a week, with a much larger variety of activities.) I also generally dislike going to the same place for vacation since there's so much of the world to explore, so it was a huge deal for me to sign up for next year before the week was even over! They truly have the family vacation down to a science (or an art?), and this was the first family vacation on which I have truly felt relaxed 99% of the time. (The other 1% was to and from the airport, hahaha.)

I found myself glaring at the clock tonight as I imagined the next week's guests in MY cabin, eating MY dinner, frolicking in MY clean, crisp air, riding on MY tandem bicycle. (Did I mention my four-year-old went gaga over the tandem bike? Or that my daughter caught 4 fish? Or that you never have to worry about putting sunscreen or bug spray on your kids because the counselors do it for you!!??)

Kudos to the Tyler family for creating a truly exceptional vacation spot. I'm so glad I stumbled across the place on Google, as most of the other new guests were brought there at the recommendation of their friends. We are already looking forward to next year's Week 2!

3 Thank fredandkell
Thank you so much for the review - we're glad you found us, too! It's always nice to hear from our new guests that you felt welcomed and are already so eager to return. It can sometimes take a few days to get into the swing of things, but it sounds like you and your family made the best of your week here right from the start. If only we could make that trip to the airport a little smoother for a 100% stress-free vacation!

Thanks again, safe travels, and we'll see you next summer.

TP Marketing Assistant
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2014

BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER! We just got home from our ninth annual trip there. There are incredible meals, daily housekeeping, and a myriad of activities offered for ALL ages. You can also choose to do nothing and just relax. We've always chosen a private cottage, but there are a variety of accommodations from which to choose. There is a good balance of family time and "group" time for the kids, and everyone makes new friends. The staff is amazing, and very eager to make sure everyone enjoys their vacation. The resort's website is very comprehensive and makes it very clear what guests should expect. Read it all before you book. (And book way out - they fill up.) If you want a true camp experience but want to feel spoiled, this may be the place for you. We always take a true technology break and enjoy the fresh Vermont air, hiking, swimming in Lake Champlain, kayaking, playing "capture the flag," and other activities. A lot of the guests come from the northeast (Boston, New York, etc.) but there are others like us who come from long distances. It is worth the effort to get there, and we can't imagine a summer without the Tyler Place. We look forward to that week all year!

Room Tip: Each accommodation has its own unique advantages. Rooms at the Inn are convenient and cheaper. Some...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank shaw5604
Caitlin P, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi shaw5604,

Thank you for your kind words - and for making the long trek to get here each year! We strive to provide a balance between family time and group time (which, of course, means time for parents to do nothing, as you mention, or choose from the many activities available to them). I'm glad it works for you and your family - and has for many years. Glad you can truly "unplug" here, too! Safe travels and we'll see you next summer.

TP Marketing
#1 of 1 in St-Ignace-de-Stanbridge
Point Au Roche Lodge
Point Au Roche Lodge
#1 of 5 in Plattsburgh

Been to Tyler Place Family Resort? Share your experiences!