“Best Family vacation in the USA”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highgate Springs
Tyler Place Family Resort
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Best Family vacation in the USA”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have nothing but excellent things to say about Tyler Place. An all inclusive family vacation that (for us) is in driving distance is so wonderful. Our family went Memorial Day Weekend 2012 with my 4 year old and 18 month old. The kids had a wonderful time and were well taken care of. We also DID NOT SEE THEM very much :) My husband and an were able to reconnect with ourselves and each other. We were able to do as we chose - reading a book all day, hikes in the woods, yoga, a champagne boat cruise. Fun and relaxing. And there were other adults who made their vacation much more active. You choose. The food is excellent and locally sourced - which is a huge plus. I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a great vacation for family.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabin within walking distance to the kids activities, a plus for us
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca H

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Tyler Place allows families to escape from all the beeps, shows, downloads and texts and just have some increibly good fun together and each individually. For parents, this is the ultimate trip where you can get a break and me/we time as a couple while still being together as a family. As a busy working mom I get to do stuff I never do at home - actually clear my head, rest and try new things. Plenty of fresh air, beautiful scenery, amazing food and lovely people. And always something to do. If you are fancy or high maintenance this place is not for you. You won't have plush towels or any typical resort luxuries. And it does suit extroverts, since there is a lot of mixing with the other families. But you will have the time of your life and feel like a kid again. We are on our fourth year in a row and plan to keep going until our kids outgrow it.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff...it really depends on your personal preference and the ages of your kids. If you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Koconnor821
SAINT LOUIS
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was very excited for our first trip to Tyler Place. Almost too excited. I had built it up based on all that I had read on line. My husband warned me that I might have built it up too much. But as soon as we got there staff and other guests made us feel welcome and relaxed. Went with a 2.5 year old who has not yet started school and the first couple of drop offs were difficult- but soon there were no more tears. My older 5 year old had no problems- woke up on her own ready to go to camp each day. There were a wide variety of activities and saw my husband more this week than I had in months without the distraction of taking care of the kids. Other than a very sorry shower, our stay was perfect and we are already planning next year.

4 Thank travelstl2
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was our family's second visit to Tyler Place (the first being in 2010), and it was as good as the first! Wife and I played tennis and tried archery and skeet shooting and had a blast (no pun intended). Afternoons in the pool with the kids, and delicious food. We met a lot of great people (both guests and friendly staff), and are already looking forward to going back next year!

Room Tip: Lisa cottage was huge (4br, 3ba), and was in a good location. It will not be available next year, s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DChavin1
Boston
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This was our third vacation at Tyler Place and we left just as happy as always. You spend about half the time with your kids and half the time without them. During adult time, you can do organized activities like low ropes courses, yoga, skeet shooting, mountain biking, group tennis lessons, or unstructured activities -- kayaking, stand up paddle board, swimming, etc. There are two lovely pools, one outdoor and one indoor, plenty of hot tubs, a splash pad for the kids. And you are right on beautiful Lake Champlain. Make sure you go on the champagne cruise during which you watch a glorious sunset and drink too much champagne.

The accommodations are modest -- clean and simple but nothing special. We like to stay at the Inn as it's central to everything and you don't have to leave the building in the rain to eat your meals. Two of the children's groups have their headquarters in the basement of the Inn.

The food is excellent. My only complaint is that, despite tons of exercise, I always go home with pounds to lose! There's plenty of choice for non-meat eaters, vegetarians etc. Lobster night is delicious.

This vacation is not for people who don't want to be active all day and exhausted at night. In three years I have not been to any of the post-dinner activities as my eyes are often closed before my kids'!

My only disappointment is in the price tag. Tyler is very expensive. You could go on a substantial family trip (to Europe?) for the price. And they still charge you for motor sports on the Lake -- waterskiing, tubing, Banana boating. I personally think everything but liquor should be included for what you pay. Despite the price, we'll go back as long as our kids want to as it truly is so very special at Tyler.

7 Thank wellheeledboston
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 7, 2012

One of the secret jewels I was luckly enough to find when planning my family trip to US. A bit afraid the first day (our children of 4 and 8 did not speak english and just understand a little), very sad to leave the last day. We were the only non english speaking family but felt like at home thanks to the wonderful families we have met, the wonderful staff and the wonderful surroundings. The children had really great time (they had also the support one to one counselors), just as we had. After reading almost 70 excellent reviewers is difficult to say something different, but all the comments are exactly the truth. Moreover also the organization and the staff before arriving (reservations and information) has been a great experience.
Considering it's long trip from Italy I don't know if we will ever be able to come back (even if I do hope so and looking forward to) but all of us will bring this wonderful experience in our hearts forever.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Giacomo M
CT, USA
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our 5th year returning to the Tyler Place and it did not disappoint! Our son was in the teens group and we were a bit worried, but he had his best year ever! Our daughter is 9 and was so excited to go back she was counting down the minutes! The Tyler Place has the best mix of family time and adult time! We love to take advantage of all the activities from waterskiing and sailing, to rock climbing and hiking and biking and of course massage! The social aspects of Tyler Place are the best...everyone is so friendly and relaxed......Definitely worth it! We will go back next year!

1 Thank Kallins
#1 of 3 in Venise-en-Quebec
Back Inn Time
Back Inn Time
#1 of 1 in Saint Albans

Been to Tyler Place Family Resort? Share your experiences!