“Just the right place after long skiing day”

Skunk Hollow Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were recommended to Skunk Hollow after Windsor Depot restaurant was full on New Year's eve. Skunk Hollow is off the beaten track but worth finding. We ate in the tavern, a smallish room with bar and warm fireplace. It seemed everyone else were locals caling out and chatting with each other but we still felt welcome. The shrimp bisque appetizer was not too filling, must have not been roux based and the 2 main courses were great" Pork tenderloin wrapped around mushrooms and White bean & spinach lasagna. The menu overall was impressive, more than just burgers etc.

This place is not too far off I-91 and it's worth a few minutes detour. A good find!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were in Vermont for our first wedding anniversary and wanted a special dinner. The b The building itself is an old ( 1700's) building, with low ceilings. One enters the tavern area, and the more formal dining room is upstairs. Being a Sunday night, the tourist crowd had apparently gone home and we were the only guests. The background music was very loud but was promptly turned down by the server at our request. The rustic dining room was very nicely set with linen tablecloths and napkins, and all tables had a candle. The lighting from the overhead votive lights was very dim, but the other overhead light was too harsh.
My husband had the beef kabob which was excellent. I had the small portion of the boneless chicken breast with a pear sauce reduction. My regret was that I did not have the full portion. It was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. Fresh squash complemented the meal. The bread basket was to die for. It included a warm popover that was outstanding, as well as another nut type bread, also fabulous. My husband had the Manhattan seafood chowder that he declared was the best he had ever had. I helped my husband finish the chocolate layer cake with homemade vanilla ice cream. Service was friendly, but not intrusive. We received several " Happy Anniversaries " as we were leaving, which was so nice. We will definitely be back when we return to Vermont.

1  Thank Foxx888
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Fantastic dining exp in unpretentious Vermont tavern. Had all of upstairs more formal dining room to ourselves for first wedding anniversary dinner. Best Manhattan seafood chowder ever, assorted breads basket wonderful as well. Great history behind this establishment, and great service.

1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Didn't eat there but loved listening to Jason Cann and Wherehouse. Go there for a great time!!! The party really gets going late, but it is worth it.

1  Thank jmwzawza
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ate in the downstairs tavern so maybe that had something to do with it but food, service and atmosphere were all average for slightly above average prices. The food was what you could get one of the slightly upscale food chains (think Chipotle), the service slow (yes, I understand it was Columbus day weekend, did they?) and the wait pretty long. The beer and wine were challenged (I get wine challenged, but beer? really?).
I can't recommend this place. Sorry.