“Claire's: Turnaround of the Year”
Review of Claire's - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: reviewed in NYTimes
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I am a recent re-convert to Claire's. To test the qualities of the new chef, we went as a couple and thoroughly enjoyed a mid-week dinner. The chardakopita was so good I wanted to cancel my entree and have more appetizers, but the trout in brown butter was so good it reminded me of cooking my catch on a sunny summer streamside. The pork belly with polenta was richly savory, well suited to a cool evening at any time of year.

Our next visit was as part of a party of nine, most of whom had never been to Claire's being visitors from the Boston area. From drinks to starters through the entrees and dessert, everyone raved about how much they enjoyed the entire experience.

So, there's really just one thing to say about Claire's: "They're back!!"

2  Thank NekVTster

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had a wonderful meal in this most charming restaurant. The service was outstanding. One of us had asked for vegan option, which was not on the menu, and the chef came out to describe what he would prepare. Both the presentation as well as the dinner were amazing. The other meals were equally good and attractively presented. I would definitely return on my next visit to the area.

1  Thank gastro44
Reviewed July 20, 2013

All four of us enjoyed a great meal at Claire's recently. It was a very interesting menu - nice to see some different choices and a bit of experimentation. The Southern dishes were especially enjoyed. All the food was expertly prepared and presented. Service was fine even on a busy night.

Our only quibble was the noise - with so many people it was very difficult to converse. The two elderly members of our group found this a real trial.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently moved to Hardwick from the DC area, and I have to say, the fact that I'm right down the street from Claire's has made the transition from city mouse to country mouse a hell of a lot easier. Claire's recently got a new chef, and so I went to try out the food with a friend who also just moved to Vermont. The food is great--I had a pea vichyssoise to start, and then the trout with roasted veggies. The new prices are a lot more reasonable, but the food is still local, prepared well, and delicious.

One quibble: the wines are served in low glass tumblers. That's OK if you're drinking a rough country wine in the Tuscan countryside, but these are really great wines and need a proper glass. My dining companion was a little ticked to see that his wine came in a tumbler--and so did his after-dinner port.

So: great food, good service, and get some real wine glasses!

3  Thank ChryssF
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Claire's has definitely had its problems for the past several months, with chef Steven leaving abruptly and all. BUT I have to say I am THRILLED with the new chef - Harrison Littell. His food is full of pure honest to goodness and delicious FLAVOR! No overly or oddly seasoned dishes, and a wide range of different, very appetizing items on the menu. Very excited to have a wonderful restaurant in the neighborhood.

1  Thank AnnBie57236