“Just... go. It's so wonderfully cosy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Seyon Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Groton
Seyon Lodge
Barre, Vermont
“Just... go. It's so wonderfully cosy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I organize a knitting retreat every winter and we hold it here. We rent the entire lodge, and we spend from Friday through Sunday having an absolutely delightful time. I also rented it for my 20th wedding anniversary/vow renewal, and everyone attending (some from out of the country) had a brilliant get away.

This is not a fancy, luxury property, but rather a comfortable, rustic hunting lodge turned into a wonderful bed and breakfast. The prices for staying here simply can't be beat and the food that the staff cooks is outstanding. They provide gourmet fare at reasonable prices. Everything is freshly made (including the bread) and using local ingredients as much as possible. It is completely worth going for the full breakfast option, though the continental breakfast is delightful, too.

There isn't actually a "fitness center" in the traditional sense of the word, but the property is located within the Groton State Forest, and there are miles of trails suitable for hiking and/or cross country skiing. There's a pond you can rent a row boat and fish on, and acres of woods to explore. The crisp forest air and gorgeous views are invigorating and that's why I gave the fitness center an excellent rating.

The service of the staff (the staff is very small) is warm, friendly, and accommodating. We have several disparate dietary needs in our group and they always take good care of people without making them feel like odd ones out. They are attentive to details and always ready to help if something isn't quite how we'd like it.

There are several types of rooms available, and mostly shared bathrooms, but plenty of them. This house was an old hunting lodge built by a prominent Vermont citizen back in the 1940s, so it's rustic and charming. For all that they still have wifi available, even though there's no cell coverage. They keep everything spotless, and if you're the least bit uncomfortable, they strive to change that.

They have a cosy fire going in the fireplace in the main living room during the winter months that adds to the charm of this utterly delightful property.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MorgannaLeFey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Just returned from 5 days at Seyon Lodge. The rest of my extended family was camping at nearby Ricker Pond State Park, but we opted for a bit more comfort. My husband wrote the following in a complimentary letter to the Vermont State Parks Dept: " Innkeepers JessieMae and Emmet are fabulous ambassadors for Vermont – they take their responsibilities seriously and deliver a singularly great experience for their guests. The Seyon Lodge was a terrific place to stay – the breakfasts were simply outstanding, the family dinner (for all 14 of us) was top-notch and JessieMae and Emmet (and the rest of the staff) made us feel like houseguests rather than simply visitors. The facilities are clearly lovingly maintained and the attitude of everyone we met was enthusiastic, helpful, and friendly."

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OutofOH
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

My wife and 17yr old stayed at Seyon Lodge this weekend for a wedding. If you are expecting a state lodge / state park, do not bother. This is a quaint B&B on a shockingly beautiful piece of property. I would HIGHLY recommend this for a romantic get away and if you are considering a wedding - this is the place. There was a huge tent set up with the walls opened to the backdrop of a beautiful pond/lake and the unspoiled mountains in the background. The inn has a terrific glass porch to relax with friends. I've stayed in many B&Bs and the accomodations are on par with many we've stayed. The breakfast was terrific (fresh granola/yogurt, orange juice, muffins, and terrific coffee). The Inn Keepers are about a nice as they come. Actually, everyone in this town are as nice as they come - you can't find a better bunch of people in the world. See my picture of the general store around the corner run by a terrific guy named Bill. Although we did not eat there - if I ever come back I'm having lunch at his counter. By the way - he opens at 6:00am! If you are runner - this place is heaven. Lots of great trails - hills and flat. I did a nice 3 miles along Ricker Pond which is about 5 minutes away. The run is along a babbling stream much of the way. Go early in the morning and watch the sun come up around Ricker Pond. It is a religous experience. Finally - I rarely write reviews (who has time). If this review seems biased by the fact I know these people or this place - please do not be mistaken. My side of the family married into a Vermonter and other than skiing is central/southern VT a few times, I've never been in Northern VT. This place and the people you will meet in this town will form memories you will treasure - trust me. Oh finally - hopefully the little local 'market' is running in the lot by the church. We picked up some of the best syrup, jam and bread you can imagine. I can't speak to this area under snow or mud but in the fall - it is a must!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank claycourtdad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

Seyon Lodge may describe itself as a "rustic" place in a state forest, but it's really more like a top-notch bed and breakfast. Adam and JesseMae made us feel at home. The common areas include comfortable couches and a roaring fire, and it's just a few hundred yards to Noyes Pond and hiking trails. The bedrooms are very nicely furnished - country style, but I wouldn't call them "rustic." Amazingly, you get all of this at rates that are far less what motels nearby were charging.

2 Thank npm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain
The Woods Lodge
The Woods Lodge
#1 of 2 in Northfield
Old Stagecoach Inn
Old Stagecoach Inn
#3 of 4 in Waterbury

Been to Seyon Lodge? Share your experiences!