Highland Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Craftsbury Outdoor Center(Craftsbury Common)
  • Restaurant
Sunset Motor Inn(Morrisville)
Colonnade Inn(Lyndonville)
Fairbanks Inn(Saint Johnsbury)
View Hotel
All reviewscross country skiingfantastic staynew englandhill farmstead brewerynortheast kingdomlounge chairscozy roomski trailfull barpaddle boatsincredible viewswell equipped kitchennorthern vermontsmall lakecrispy baconheidiporch
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Our family first stayed a the Lodge over thirty years ago - it rained for 10 days out of 14 and we all cried (except our dad) when we left because we couldn't wait to go back the next summer. The third-generation, family-owned Lodge and its cottages sits on a pretty hill above the lake. Caspian Lake is the most beautiful lake - great sailing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming. You can walk or drive down to the Lodge's boathouse which is stocked with everything you need for a great day on the lake - sailboats, kayaks, canoes, lounge chairs, towels and lots of beach toys for the children. There's a great dock and a raft to swim to for the children - the lodge's beach is actually sand - unusual in Vermont. The drop-off is gradual so swimmers of all abilities can enjoy the water safely.

The cabins are simple, comfortable, and clean. The housekeeping staff is very efficient - the rooms (in the Lodge) or cabins are often clean and beds made before you come back from breakfast. Lodge rooms are comfortable and come in a variety of sizes and configurations.

There's great hiking and walking starting right from the Lodge and great biking. In the winter, the cross-country skiing is phenomenal - beautifully maintained trails for the serious skier who wants over 20 miles or the rest of us.

Breakfast is wonderful - a buffet for the starters: homemade granola, fruit cups, box cereal for the children, etc. Then you order from a menu with daily specials. The waitress always brings a basket of freshly baked muffins. Lunch is just what you need - sandwiches, soups, salads. If you are there on Mondays - there's huge beach piknik at the Boathouse. DInner has a wide variety of entrees with an emphasis on locally sourced meat, cheese and vegetables. Beer and wine is available.

There's a great kids program during the summer so mom and dad can go for a hike or have some alone time. There's plenty of books, games, pingpong, etc. for the rainy days.

I will always have a soft place in my heart for the Highland Lodge - it is family friendly, it is romantic, its great for active people - have a great time!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Heidi Lauren D, Owner at Highland Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Dear Pauline - We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to Highland Lodge "back in the day." Have you heard that we bought the property last year? We added our new House Bar with a great chef, made nice improvements like a new dock on our private beach, and still have glorious ski trails groomed by our neighbors at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center. There is also a gorgeous new performing arts center down the road - I hope you will come enjoy a bright new era at Highland Lodge! Best wishes from Heidi Lauren :)

Reviewed June 2, 2010

As a refugee from the East Coast who has been living in California for the last fifty years, I wanted a New England experience. So when I got a chance to go to the Highland Lodge and talk about Wallace Stegner, the western writer who spent his summers in Greensboro, I jumped at it last fall. Late September was perfect. No more clammy weather; the trees were turning; and Caspian Lake was calm. The image that I have kept in my mind is of rocking chairs on a porch, great food, wonderful hikes, and intelligent conversations. I came away with a complete New England experience, escaping in time to avoid the crippling cold. But for those who like the snow, they open up again in the winter. I prefer California at that time of year.

Philip Fradkin

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 1, 2010

I told everyone about my trip. Part of me did not want to because I wanted to keep it as my secret getaway :) This place is a bit of a drive and well worth it. The folks there REALLY go out of their way to make your stay a joy. I have some dietary concerns and they were more than willing to work with me for my meals. The cottages are really nice. Neat, clean, warm and plenty of room to share. The ski touring lodge rentals were plentiful and reasonable. The trails, even in early March, were groomed. I loved the service and friendly atmosphere of the Highland Lodge staff. I did not like the lack of cell phone service at first but then I realized I was free - if someone really needed me they could call the lodge! Now the meals....WONDERFUL. Fresh, flavorful and plenty. They buy local and fresh. Breakfast and dinner were included in the price of our package (lunch is extra but very reasonable) and we ate like royalty. Appetizer to dessert. If you want to go somewhere to have fun and not worry about getting a good meal and paying a price that is wonderfully reasonable - this is the place. I stayed there 3days/2night and with my one day ski rental, one lunch and phone call - tax and tips included - $268.00 to share cottage #10 with my girlfriends. What a bargain! If you are looking for spas and frills this is not for you...if you are looking for fresh air, exercise, peace and quiet, great service and fine meals...make your reservation early!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 23, 2010

This is an out of the way lodge in Vermont but not hard to get to,with on the grounds winter activities. Nine of us adults had fun cross-country skiing and then we went snowshoeing. We came back to a relaxing lodge with great food. There are three sitting areas so that we didn't interfere with other people relaxing. I can't say enough about the staff. We laughed and joked and everyone there made sure we were enjoying ourself.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our (myself and my 3 teenager children) second stay at The Highland Lodge and I cannot say enough about how wonderful the whole experience was. The food is fantastic, the service is excellent and the atmosphere is welcoming without being intrusive. The facilities are good: tennis, sailing,mountain bikes etc and the location beautiful. We enjoyed staying in the main lodge but there are also individual cottages which looked lovely and had excellent views. This is not an inexpensive lodge but it is worth every penny.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family