“Great camping with the kids!”

Grand Isle State Park
Fayetteville, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great camping with the kids!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

I haven't taken my two children camping since they were 3 and 6 (not a pleasant experience). Now that they are 10 and 13, I decided to give it another try. Grand Isle State Park in VT was an excellent choice for us!

We were at the SHAD site which overlooked the lake and had a lean-to. We appreciated being on the water as the breeze kept the bugs away. just be aware that the sites along the water are not water-accessible and that there is a chain link fence keeping you safe from the rocky drop off. The site was raked and clean when we arrived. The only downside we had is that the firewood we purchased from the campsite was very waterlogged and not cured so it never really burned for us.

The water spigot was right at our site so that made it a breeze. Showers and bathrooms were a 3 min walk away. Bathrooms are basic and hot water costs $0.50 for 5 mins; it was so hot out that I enjoyed a cold shower!

The campground is family friendly. We had brought our bikes and my children spent much of their day biking around the loops of the campground. There is a basketball net, nature center, and playground. The campground quieted down in the evening and there was definitely noise from campers/children rising in the morning.

We spent our days swimming (wear water shoes for the rocky bottom), biking, and exploring. We biked at the nearby Knight State Park and visited Burlington (an easy 20 minute drive).

I highly recommend this site and don't forget the bikes for the kids!

Newington, Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“More for families”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My hubby and his best friend and I stayed the week of July 4th weekend. Our campsite was chosen only a month before so I blame us for the limited availability. The site was tiny and it said big enough for large tent or small camper. We did manage to get two large tents on the site but we were on top of each other. This is a great campground for famlies that want to stay within the state park system. There were a TON of kids. We have no young children but both late 40's. The bathroom near us had two stalls and 1 shower - for the # of sites that were filled, it was NOT enough. We ended up driving over to the one near the playground because there are four shower stalls there and the restrooms. It was VERY quiet at night, which was wonderful but because of young families, it was SUPER loud each morning. Again, this was 4th of July weekend. We did enjoy the state park up the road on Lake Champlaign. That was really nice. I would not go back. Again, if you have kids, I think it would be a nice campground for you.

3 Thank Jill U
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Superb Camping Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Beech lean to overlooking the lake. I booked it in January and had to play around with 2 months worth of dates to get 5 straight nights which should tell you something. Our site and the campground is gorgeous. I was able to use a rope between my site and the one next to us to get right to the lake and go for a dip to cool off. The lake is crystal clear and I could see right to the bottom up to 8ft deep. We spent 2 days in Burlington sampling food and beer along with doing shopping. It was about a half hour drive. We also spent a day touring other breweries, Ben and Jerry's, and Stowe Vermont. We biked 4 miles to the local farmers market which is held on Wednesdays for some amazing local organic produce. We rented kayaks from the park ($9 an hour) to kayak on the lake. I would come back here in a heartbeat. I've camped a lot of the east coast and this experience comes in a close second only to Acadia National Park in Maine.

2 Thank Talms63
Los Angeles, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was our first time camping and it was a great experience. The campground was very clean, polite staff, easy to get around! We spent the 4th of July weekend here and had a great time. The only addition I'd like to see is some kind of activities/music at night. Other then that, it was a great experience.

1 Thank Sanel T
Sainte-Marthe, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice campground”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at the campsite. There were trees separating the lots, which was fun for intimacy...We also enjoyed the fact that there are many washrooms located at different parts of the campground. This is great because you never have to walk too far for a washroom. Although there were not many activities for children, there was a nice park for them to play.

Visited May 2014