All reviews phelps barn new england cheese shop crackers step back in time outdoor center swimming pond the main dining room beautiful village main building four poster wedding weekend country breakfast general store front porch cross country ski get away from it all
Reviewed May 18, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at The Old Tavern many times since first coming there in 1997. The rooms are impeccably clean, and filled with antiques. The service is without a doubt, the best we have encountered, in the States or Europe. The food in the dining room is excellent, and the chef is very innovative. The town of Grafton itself is picture postcard perfect. Even if you think the price of the room and meals is a bit high, I always say, "You get what you pay for." Overall, if you are looking for a quiet place to relax and be pampered, and have a a delicious meal, go to The Old Tavern in Grafton, VT.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karenMonson_MA
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This was our third trip to the Inn. It had been many years since our last. We enjoyed ourselves very much and plan to go again in the next year or so.

We took advantage of the two nights for one price deal. It is even better than it sounds because you get a terrific breakfast from an extensive menu included in the room price. The room also included day passes for my wife and I at the Grafton Ponds X-country ski area (worth $36). It also has free parking.

We ate one night in the restaurant at the Inn. It was good, but pricey ($110 with tip). You could easily spend $200 with a bottle of wine.

The Town of Grafton strikes you as almost too perfect. It looks like something Walt Disney would create as the ideal Vermont village. Actually that's close to the truth as the village is run by a foundation that keeps everything pristine.

This is your place to go if you want to sit before the fire, or on the porch in the summer, and read a good book. There is not much else to do. The Inn is lovely however and is a treat by itself.

A couple of minor things... The cold water in the shower did not work so it was very hot. Also, the classic four poster bed, which looked so nice, was hard. These little things were taken in stride and didn't detract from our loving the place.

The bar/lounge area is a large, rustic barn type room with a lot of easy chairs and couches, games, books, internet access and roaring fireplace. Nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YoungGrampie
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed 2 nights. Went for our Ladies Weekend. Located in quaint town surrounded by mountains. Stayed at the inn’s Tuttle House, just around the corner. Perfect for our group of 6: clean, beds quite comfy, well equipped kitchen. Included was full breakfast back at main inn, fresh coffee/tea all day, cookies in afternoon, fitness center, use of X-country ski/ice skating/snow shoe area. All employees pleasant & interesting. Next to inn is art gallery with superb paintings, pottery, quilts & wood bowls. Nearby are antique & craft shops & Grafton Cheese factory. While cost can seem expensive, includes many activities & extras. We all want to return!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Schooner3
Reviewed January 15, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 wonderful nights at the Old Tavern over the New Years holiday. Everything about the inn exceeded my expectations. My husband had visited several times as a child and couldn’t stop raving about it and I was pleasantly surprised that his fond memories of the Old Tavern were not overstated. We stayed in the Grant room in the main house and although small the room was cozy and it was convenient to be in the main house. The purpose of our trip was strictly relaxation and there are several places around the inn to sit by a fire, read a book, enjoy a glass of wine or hot tea and just enjoy the quiet. We did however venture out one afternoon to take in the quaint Vermont scenery and take some pictures of the beautiful old covered bridges. The staff was friendly and helpful and Bill Tumi is wealth of information and a joy to talk to, he also plays in the bar which is a nice way to spend a quiet peaceful evening. Two of the three nights we had dinner in the main dining room and the food was quite enjoyable especially the New Year’s Eve menu. On New Year’s Eve we also enjoyed a wonderful concert in the Phelps Barn. Overall, we had a memorable stay at the Old Tavern and look forward to our return trip.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank tc_kmc
Reviewed August 7, 2008

It was our 2nd anniversary and my husband surprised me and wisked me away to Grafton Vermont. This was such an amazing experience, the food, rooms people and property were perfect. The town of Grafton looks like a picture perfect New England village. We hiked, sat on the front porch and ate outstanding meals in the restaurant. I would recommend The Old Tavern at Grafton to anyone who enjoys simple solitude and natural beauty. Thank you Grafton for letting us be apart of your liitle piece of heaven for just a few days.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)