“Really really lovely”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
New York City, New York
“Really really lovely”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Great service. Fabulous location in a very nice village. Cute little room, designed with taste and charm. A nice "barn" next to the hotel for drinks in the evening. Exactly what you expect from a romantic Vermont week end in the fall. I hope this place will stay the same forever.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed one night only, but we nevertheless managed to have a great time! The inn has a definite historic feel about it. Even though our twin bed room was quite small (we had one of the smaller rooms, but with a large comfy bathroom!), the inn packs so much more: luxuriously decorated commong areas and library, a great cozy tavern nearby, and a fantastic reastaurant! We had a wonderful dinner - excellent food, and then a fantastic breakfast! The food is definitely not to miss! They even serve snacks in the afternoon. The staff is very professional.

The town of Grafton itself is lovely - sleepy, pretty, perfect for a relaxing walk. You can visit the cheesemaking factory, the sheep barn, some older historic buildings. A fantastic escape!

1 Thank Julia_van_Bommel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 21, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Grafton is a charming town, and the Grafton Inn is a beautiful historical property at the center of town. Our room was comfortable, though not "luxurious." The bed was very comfortable, and the wooden bed was crafted by a local furniture maker. Enjoy the beauty of the surroundings, as well as the incredible handmade furniture within the rooms.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We ended up staying at the Grafton Inn as the hotel we had reservations with initially had overbooked (so the site that we booked through covered the difference and offered us accommodations here, at the Grafton Inn). The main inn and all of the guest houses look quite lovely. We stayed in one of the guest houses (the Woodard house).

When we walked into the house, we looked around. There is a full kitchen, a dining room and a parlour that had a television. Upon entering our room, it absolutely REEKED of some sort of caustic chemical/bug spray (I am so rarely sensitive to scent/fragrance, but this made me ill). We looked around, however and the room was very clean (we were staying in the room on the first floor). While clean, it made me terribly anxious/feel claustrophobic. The wall-paper made me feel like I was going to be violently ill (some sort of dark printed dot-like shapes paired with the dark floor made it so... dark) The bed was tipped in such a way that we were sleeping in a mild inversion. My husband, who could probably sleep on a bed of nails, had a very difficult time sleeping in this bed.

While very pretty, it just wasn't for me. I think that the reasons that most people stay here are the reasons that I didn't enjoy it. It was so quiet, it made me uncomfortable and I just don't like the idea of sharing a 'house' with other people. I like the anonymity of being away. I like a room with a television (we don't have a tv at home; vacation is the one time I watch).

I must say, however... we had breakfast at The Old Tavern a couple of times while we were there and that was quite delicious and it was lovely in appearance. Also, our server, JoAnn, who we had both days, was an ABSOLUTE peach! Also, they provide coffee a couple of times per day from a shop in Brattleboro and it was seriously GOOD (organic) coffee. That was one major positive in my book.

The second night that we were there was much better. There was only one other couple in our house and they came home, said hello to us and immediately went to bed. So we had the whole 'house' to ourselves. We used the kitchen and stayed up pretty late watching X-men. This evening sort of 'made up' for things, as on the previous day, we were seriously thinking about just driving back home to Rhode Island because we found it to be that uncomfortable.

Staff could not be nicer. A big positive in my book. Everyone was incredibly pleasant.

I absolutely understand why people love it here. Beautiful, old, quaint, quiet, people who want to take an interest in you... but these are some of the reasons I also felt like ripping my hair out while I was there. I could also never justify the costly price tag for a room with nothing in it. This is simply my preference. I am just someone who likes more of a 'hotel' feel. If you want to be in a beautiful, quiet (and I mean QUIET) area and experience some gorgeous, well-preserved historical homes, however, this will be your cup of tea!

3 Thank MaBoogins
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Arrived around 8:30 pm without a dinner reservation. We were told by the front desk that the restaurant would stop serving soon and to go to the inn's Phelps Barn (pub) for dinner. After going to our room and then going promptly to the pub, the waitress was less than polite and also told us the kitchen was getting ready to close (this was about 8:50pm). We quickly ordered. The food took nearly ONE HOUR to arrive at our table, and my husband's burger was extremely pink, not cooked nearly enough. The waitress NEVER came back to check on us or to refill our water. ( We did not order alcohol, and she seemed miffed about this). After a very long drive from NY, we just wanted food and to go to our room. We then had to endure some very strange, quirky singers in the pub until our food arrived. ALL the song selections were a annoying! The singers had decent voices and were very friendly to the few of us in the pub, but to have one hour of this was too much. When the waitress finally re-appeared with the bill, my husband explained he had eaten around the outside of the burger even though it was way undercooked. He was so hungry, he didn't have any other choice. The waitress never apologized for the error, and instead replied as she whisked away the plate, "but was it tasty"? We were incredulous at this way of handling their guests. Also, our room was supposed to have a selection of Grafton cheese in the room upon check-in. NO cheese.
The room was a nice size, but very underwhelming for the price. The cheap mini-blinds in the room were broken, so we had to hang towels on the bathroom window and two of the bedroom windows for privacy. The "charm" of the inn was in the public rooms, but for over $300 for our room, well, this was definitely overpriced. The fabrics may have been charming 10 years ago, but they were in dire need of freshening up. The room also smelled slightly musty. The bed was comfortable, sheets soft. But otherwise, not much to rate the price. Breakfast was average. One piece of sausage?? Really? Description was "hearty breakfast." Pancakes had sort of the taste of the pan on the bottom--not burned, but definitely an after taste from the skillet or griddle. Glass of orange juice was very small, and we are not coffee drinkers, so one would assume the waitress might offer to refill the orange juice--but no.

Would I return to Grafton? Yes. Would I return to the inn? Probably not. We have stayed in many inns in Vermont, but not in quite a few years. We had always wanted to give this one a try. But lack of response from management regarding the on-line survey we completed will definitely will definitely keep us from returning. It seems as if management didn't really care about our stay.

5 Thank s c
Nkeeper, General Manager at Grafton Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is truly disappointing to learn that your experience was not consistent with the high level of service that guests have come to expect from us.....particularly your dining experience in our Phelps Barn. I will reach out to you shortly so that we might further discuss your visit and to apologize personally. In the meantime, I will put through a credit on your account for food & beverage charges. Please rest assured that your comments are being shared with our management & staff in our efforts to continuously improve upon the services provided. Thank you.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This town is darling but the Inn is way too expensive for what you get. Stay down the road unless you want a room with zero amenities ( no phone, TV, Radio, A/C ) poor lighting and rude staff at the Pub.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roxypants
Nkeeper, General Manager at Grafton Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I'm very sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Indeed cell phone service is limited here in Grafton, but, every room does have a land line phone and long distance calls are free to the US & Canada. Grafton is quite a remote area and radio reception, like cell reception, is limited here, that's why we placed an IHome radio in each room so that guests could plug in their own music. Alas, we do not have TV's in the rooms. That is a long standing tradition here at our historic inn and the lion's share of our guests don't want them. They like the peace and quiet. There are TV's available in our public areas. Our rooms are air conditioned. I'm sorry that were not informed of any issue. I'm sure that we could have remedied the uncomfortable situation, given the opportunity. Lastly, I apologize if our Pub staff was rude. I certainly will address your complaint with the pub staff. Thank you.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Our first trip to the Grafton Inn was this past week, and we are fans for life. We arrived late and were greeted by a lovely woman at the front desk who took the time to chat and get to know us, and make our dinner reservations. The inn is welcoming at night - all lights burning - and the only negative my husband and I experienced was the somewhat darker Barrett House (a stand-alone house across the street), which was more dimly lit and less welcoming at night. However, the upside at this inn is the food! We travel and eat out quite a bit, and our hungry noses and padded bellies look diligently for food that delivers what the menu promises. We eat vegetarian and look for gluten free items as well. Our appetizers were local burrata with organic greens, exceptional! The entrees and dessert were the same trip to Foodie Heaven. Roasted delicata squash with apple cider reduction and kale. Indian corn pudding with house made cinnamon ice cream. They hit it out of the park in the kitchen. The wine list is lovely as well, with wines paired to specific entrees. The inn manager, Don, made his way to our table and was welcoming. Overall, for a three-night trip this was our high point in terms of accommodations. There's not much to do in Grafton but I preferred it to the packed touristy towns we visited along the way. It's quieter, you get a sense of Vermont rather than the jewelry and tee shirt stores and hordes of people we found in more highly populated foliage destinations. The local people seemed friendlier here, and I would drive the back roads again to stay at the Grafton. True, the walls are thin but if you want sound proofing then choose a Hampton Inn. This is a step back in time. If you read fiction then choose a colonial-era tale for this trip. You'll have the setting for imagining yourself in the story. Who was that man on the horse with his lantern?........

2 Thank me_so_happy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Windham Hill Inn
Windham Hill Inn
#1 of 2 in West Townshend
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Grafton Inn? Share your experiences!