“Fantastic”
Review of Rokeby

Rokeby
More attraction details
Owner description: Eighteenth century Vermont cape house and home to writer Rowland Evans Robinson and his artist daughter Rachel Robinson Elmer.
Montreal, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I expected a museum about the underground railroad and got much much more. the tour guide was extremely informative and made the history of the site come alive.
It is a lovvely place to have a picnic and they also had an ice cream social the week I was there - yum yum!

If there is anything to to complain about it is the lack of signage on the road approaching the museum. We were told this was due a local law. It is a shame because I am sure many people are missing this treasure.

Visited August 2013

Stamford CT
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We didn't have time for a tour of the main house (docent-led tours leave at certain times) but we very much enjoyed the Underground Railroad exhibit in the new building. Although there aren't many historic artifacts, the signage and the recorded stories were amazing. Although I've read some about this period, I learned a lot! Wouldn't recommend it for younger kids though.

Visited August 2013
Oregon
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A wonderful tour!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited Rokeby last summer and came back this summer to see the new building. The staff members were friendly and knowledgeable! The house tour was even better than last year, as one room which used to be an office now has artifacts on display. The house tour is not wheel chair accessible. The new building is beautifully built, and is wheelchair accessible. The exhibit is interesting and educational. The new building has 3 real restrooms, and a water fountain. Before there was only a porta potty. This is a great museum and we will definitely come back.

Bethesda, Maryland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rokeby visit and tour”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I visited the site - museum and outbuilding one day and returned the next day for a tour of the house. The young woman Elena in the museum was wonderful ----------- the tour guide for the house was not. Four children were on the tour but a young boy of 10 dominated the tour. The guide did little to control the situation and paid far too much attention to him (his grandfather did not control his nonstop questions and talking either).

The guide spoke too long about topics that were not pertinent to the house's history or the "underground railroad". We learned little about the house but a lot of hot standing time was wasted with extraneous trivia.

I hope that as the museum develops better training is provided for guides.

The brochure we were given stated the tour times as 11 and 2. The 11 a.m. tour is now scheduled for 11:30

Burlington, Vermont
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Local Gem”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Rokeby is a fascinating place that tells the story of the so-called "underground railroad" in Vermont. This was my first visit (Like a previous reviewer, I had tried several times but always found it closed. I finally researched tour times ahead of time). The tour guide for our house tour was not very good, but site's new visitor center, which opened in the spring of 2013, has a fabulous exhibit that profiles two escaped slaves connected to the site. Well worth a visit.