“Highway noise unrelenting.”

Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The cottages located on this property sit right beside I-91, a major highway. The noise at night of the 18 wheelers made sleeping impossible. The room was only so-so as far as cleanliness. I would not stay here again! This was not part of the rustic Vt. holiday I was looking for.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed in one of the cottages in mid September while in town for a wedding. I found the road noise a bit distracting as it sets right between I-91 and hwy 5. The cottage we stayed in was VERY rustic. It was one room with 3 twin beds and a separate toilet/shower room. The beds were fine, but the bathroom was very small and included only the toilet and shower and the door didn't close completely or lock. The faucet and sink was out in the main room and the faucet was in bad shape and needed to be replaced. The whole inside of the cottage was done in knotty pine and was pretty nice.
The floors were hardwood and unlevel and we could hear every step the people next door took.
There was a couple gas stations in town and one of them included the local grocery store. We ate at the Fairlee diner at the other end of town and the food was pretty good. Breakfast was excellent.
The owner was very nice.
The "Continental breakfast" consisted of orange juice, coffee, some tiny cherry danishes and they brought out a cinnamon roll.
There were only 4 channels to watch on TV. NBC, PBS, and 2 other channels that didn't have anything worth watching.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I don't mean just traffic noise, either. My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the cottages closest to Route 5, and most of them have two cottages adjoined by a doorway (so that if you have a larger family you can rent the whole cottage). Both nights we have stayed here we can really hear what is going on next door, as I'm sure they can hear us also. This was kind of bothersome when it came time to try to get some sleep. Scott, the innkeeper, was very nice, as well as his wife. One suggestion I would have is to make up binders to put in the rooms that include photocopies of the local restaurants, phone numbers of different activites in the area (ie: laundromat, bank, etc), the access to the wireless internet, etc. There was a pizza place right next door that had greek style pizza, which was pretty good. Another small comment was that some of the curtains are quite thin and you could probably see what was going on in them from the outside. The room itself was very spacious, it included a twin bed besides the king bed, but I wish we had the cabin that included the woodburning fireplace. I may stay here again if it was the single cottage as to avoid any "neighbor noise".

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The Silver Maple Lodge is the best taste of Vermont country life that I can find. Our fireplace cottage was a perfect place to relax after touring and hiking the trails and byways. Scott, the innkeeper, is the finest host. He's so available to help with side trips and directions on touring Vermont. Silver Maple Lodge is the perfect place to center Vermont travel!!

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank insider
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My friends and I (and my dog, Jasper) recently stayed at this quaint, cozy inn. My friends and their young son stayed in a bright, sunny room in the inn itself, while Jasper and I stayed in one of the cabins which was rustic, but clean and comfortable with room enough for all of us to hang out in the evening and play games and relax, before they returned to their guest room.

The innkeeper, Scott, was very warm and welcoming to all of us, including my furry companion, and they even allow well-behaved pets to be left unattended in the rooms, which was great while we were visiting places where he could not join us, such as the nearby Montshire hands-on science museum which was as much fun for the adults as the six-year-old.

Yes, it is close to the highway, but, honestly, at night the traffic was very light and it really wasn't a problem for me even with the windows open. The convenience of being able to quickly and easily get to everyplace we were looking to go, as well as the very reasonable rates, more than made up for having some nearby traffic noises.

Not being early risers, I can't comment on the breakfast offerings, but there was a diner right up the street that served breakfasts to die for at reasonable prices,

Overall, this was a great place, especially for travelers with pets, at a reasonable rates with cozy accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank janicec678
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We discovered Silver Maple Lodge's website and their Balloon weekend package. The photos on their site give you an accurate view of their charming establishment.
The Inn is easy to find, right on Rt 5, not far from I- 91. This not only made it easy to get to Vermont attractions, but saved on traveling time and gas expense. We found a lot to do right in Fairlee, in addition to our balloon ride.
Our cottage was comfortable, homey, immaculate, just what we were looking for.
Excellent Value for the dollar! We will be going again.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank hobbittravel
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We recently stayed in this "historic" B&B and to say the least we were disappointed. The "Roar" of Interstate 91 was clearly heard on the back of the property as well as US 5 which adjoined the front. If traffic roar is what you look for in a "Country Inn or B&B" you'll love this place.
The staff was practically non-existent and although not rude was not helpful. The cabins were decent and clean. Breakfast was stale sweet rolls and juice and coffee. When we indicated our disappointed the response of the owner was "too bad".
There are so many wonderful country Inns in Vermont it's too bad we made a poor selection.
Hopefully our review will give other travelers a "heads up".
Paul and Lori Whidbey Island, WA

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank PaulLori
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
White River Inn and Suites
Lake Morey Resort
Lake Morey Resort
#1 of 2 in Fairlee
Breakfast on the Connecticut

Been to Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!