“Pleasant Coference Setting”

Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
VERMONT
“Pleasant Coference Setting”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

It has been a number of years since I have stayed here and I was pleasantly surprised by my three night stay. Over the years, the Inn has been renovated and a number of previous bugs have been worked out. Meals were excellent! After a long days work, we were pleased to find that the staff offered to take our group out boating. We found the staff to be quite accommodating. During the day, we were able to find peaceful corners within which to work individually or in small groups. I look forward to returning. By the way keep your eyes peeled for Bald Eagles over the lake.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
CT
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I saw on the website the package deal for two nights, and I thought it was pretty inexpensive. It turns out that the rate for valentines was per person and wasn't even listed on that page! I didn't get a bill, just a charge on my card when I left, which included the package rate x 2 + 18% gratuity (which turns out to be like $150 extra) + state tax.

The package was supposed to include two dinners and two breakfasts. I called ahead and told them I would arrive late, and when I got there, they said dinner was over. The breakfast and dinner were both buffet and not worth the price. The lake was frozen and they offered free skates but there were patches in the ice, which made it very unsafe.

The hotel was not even that nice, it was not like a resort. I would not go back there again, it was not worth it. I called to inquire about my bill and that's when I was informed that the rate was per person. Its probably worth it for a whole family, but to pay over $600 for a couple of nights at a place that is not luxurious as a couple is just a waste of money.

• Liked — The view of the lake
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank clevaness
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stayed there the week between Xmas and New Year's, which in retrospect might not have been the best time to be there. In general the hotel is nice and the rooms are relatively updated. Some rooms are very large and others are cozier. We had a smaller room with a picture perfect view of the lake and the hills on the other side. Our bathroom was a little too small and not well ventilated - the fan blew in instead of out. The hotel advertises that it has a lot of free amenities, which it does, but you get what you pay for. There is a health club with a small pool, but it looks like they spent more money on the small lobby than the facilities themselves. Elsewhere there is a worn-out pool table and also a ping-pong table. Also some video games for the kids. We came for the x-country skiing - some older equipment and the trails are free, but it's really just a golf course with some poorly maintained trails. They kept saying they would groom them but they never did - maybe it was the start of the season so they were in no rush. Hardly any ups and downs so not much fun to ski there. There was supposed to be a skating area on the lake but it wasn't ready. The restaurant and bar were closed most of the time we were there, but at least they put out a free continental breakfast. In summary, a decent place to stay but better winter activities can probably be found elsewhere. I suspect it's a more happening place in the summer, between golf and swimming in the lake. There's also a movie theater in the basement that's closed in the winter.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mossman99
Maine
Reviewed October 3, 2008

This place was renovated last year??? Really? Where did the money go???????????????????

They pumped all the septic tanks on the property within the first few hours after we checked in. I was in a meeting in a closed conference room and didn't smell it, but as the truck moved from tank to tank, my husband was chased out of various places by the smell. He told me he literally COULD NOT breathe. First he was chased from our room, then from the patio (where the railing is positioned so that you can't sit in a lounge chair and look at the lake, all you can see is the railing), then from the bar. He couldn't return to our room until he took it upon himself to open all the exterior doors to our hallway and let the toxic air escape.

Speaking of the bar, it was not open in the afternoon hours, and there did not seem to be anywhere to get any sort of beverage. (Hubby could have REALLY used a stiff drink by then!!) It was only much later that we found (what seems to be) the ONE soda machine in the entire building.

While we were exploring, we found the pool. The water was GREEN. Ewww.

There were only a handful of TV channels in our room, most of them fuzzy. The book said we were supposed to have HBO, and one of the channels was labelled HBO (the green label that shows on the TV itself when you flip channels) but it was actually the weather channel. There were only two TVs with a good selection of channels, and they were in the bar area... the one that isn't open until after dinner.

Speaking of dinner, when we checked in we were told reservations were required. We chose 6:30. We arrived to find a HUGE dining room (in the basement, icky room but a nice view) that only had TWO other couples dining. The hostess tried to seat us right next to one of the other couples but I spoke up and requested a few tables in between so that we wouldn't have to listen to each others' conversations. THE HOSTESS SIGHED AND ROLLED HER EYES, then grudgingly moved the bread etc. We were then seated at a table that tilted drastically... but at least it tilted AWAY from our laps, so I guess that's a good thing.

I needed the restroom so asked the hostess where it was, and she pointed in the general direction of one corner and said it was down the hall on the right. I have never had to walk so far from a restaurant to a restroom! The hallways are long, and the restroom that "belongs" to the restaurant is definitely NOT part of it... it just happens to be in that hallway.

When I got back, the waitress asked for my drink order. I hadn't had time to look at the menu so we told her we were fine for now and would order our drinks along with our dinner. She left us so we could look at the menu. As she walked away, I heard the woman at the next closest table ask her when their order would be taken. She complained that they had been there for 55 MINUTES and their order had not been taken! The waitress said "I was waiting for you to decide what you wanted for drinks." The woman said she was on her second glass of wine! THEN the waitress said "well, now you'll have to wait and order with the 6:30 seating." WHAAAAAAT???? There are SIX PEOPLE in the dining room and the chef can't cope with an order that's placed by itself??? So then the man at the table speaks up and says something about how last night their orders had been mixed up... I think it was that his meat was undercooked and hers was overcooked or something like that... things were backwards from what they should have been.

Needless to say, hubby and I decided to make our order as EASY AS POSSIBLE. We both ordered the quail for an appetizer, and the steak (medium) for dinner. I had cheesecake for dessert, and was pleased that the strawberries I requested were fresh, not syruped. It was good. Hubby enjoyed his Berry Tart. I cannot fault any of the food, it was good.

The bartender was friendly, prompt, and poured stiff drinks. We liked him better than ANY other employee we met.

The bed was uncomfortable.

The shower had not been cleaned, it still had a soap wrapper from the last guest.

NOBODY TOLD US, not at checkin or at dinner, that BREAKFAST IS ONLY SERVED UNTIL 9AM. Whaaaaaaaaaat? We left hungry and couldn't find anything decent until an hour and a half later, even with the assistance of our navigation system's restaurant finder. (I highly recommend "The Fort", a truck stop in Lebanon.)

This "Resort" is more of a punishment than anything else.

• Liked — The bartender.
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Sharon1359
CT
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked because of a family wedding being held on the other side of the Lake at a very scenic camp. My date and I found everything about the Inn excellent. It is a very romantic place with everything provided by the Inn for the guests. Everything was clean,the staff knowledgible and friendly and the food great. The lake was the cleanest I have ever seen and all equipment was provided to enjoy it. (canoes, kayaks,row boats, boat excursions
and much more. There a movie theater,card playing area and entertainment at night.The golf course looked great,as well as the tennis courts and landscaping. My hat is off to the staff and management of the Inn. We will reurn again to this wonderful place.

• Liked — The whole resort and atmosphere created by the owners.
  • Disliked — Not enough time to enjoy it fully
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a Monday - Friday stay at this resort. I really wanted to like it here; from the website the place looked lovely and the description of dining menus sounded delicious and upscale. Unfortunately, the resort did not meet most of my expectations. However, I will say that the location and grounds are beautiful. My husband was a bit concerned because on the map, it's situated very near the highway (91) - but thankfully once you're on the grounds of the resort, you would never know.

First the Good - again, the location and grounds are beautiful and there's plenty of activity going on. In that way it's like an old fashioned hotel - with activities available and planned all day and very helpful manager & staff - they set up a desk in the a.m. to answer questions and help plan your day, make reservations, etc. There's evening entertainment (including two movies in a small on-site movie theater) and the people who came with kids and extended family seemed to be having a ball; they gather in the hotel lobby and play board games, etc. I will say that it seems to be a great place to come with young kids because of it's informality and the blandness of the food I'm sure appeals to very young and old alike.. The staff are very nice and pleasant (with the exception of the bartender who became a little grumpy when, after 3 days of drinking for both my husband and myself, I asked for a couple of wine glasses to take back to our room. There are a number of rooms that have full kitchens so I'm not sure why he reacted that way...well, I know why, but it was a bit uncalled IMO.)

The bad - the place feels rundown and musty. The lakefront grounds feel cramped and there is not really a good spot to have a quiet time to read or nap outside. The dining room is in a literal basement with pilings and exposed pipes (albeit with big picture windows and a beautiful view of the lake) and the food is almost *terrible* ; visually unappealing and extremely bland. The main protein at dinner was usually edible but I had sides that weren't. Some things fortunately looked worse than they tasted. I ordered the quail for an appetizer one night; I have no problem with eating meat, fish, etc. on the bone but all I could think of when they brought my plate was "Oh you poor thing!" The desserts were almost painful. I'm the least picky person on the planet when it comes to sweets. The cheesecake was salty and inedible. The food issue is huge because if you're not in one of the kitchen suites, you have no close by choice for meals. You would have to drive into town every night and for us, driving makes it so not a vacation. Breakfast was a hot buffet, nothing too awful - with the exception of the nearly frozen pastries & muffins and lack of interest by the waitstaff in providing coffee & refills. Interestingly, the lunch menu (which is only available as a separate paid meal) looked much more appetizing from what I could see and I ordered a sandwich one day - and it and the acompanying salad were surprisingly tasty. Then there was our room which smelled of cigarette smoke even though it was a nonsmoking room. It took me a couple of days to figure out that the smoke was wafting in from the patio below all day. I told management, they showed me a couple of other rooms but ultimately I decided to let them use an oxygenator machine and I kept the windows closed - which was disappointing again because I came to Vermont for fresh air. .

Finally - the ugly - one night at dinner, I ordered a cup of coffee and when I poured the cream, it poured out like yogurt and completely curdled in my cup. I quickly brought it to a station a bit away from my table (because I so grossed out) and asked the waitress for another cup and I never was served. The next morning I did speak with the manager and he was willing to provide a half hour water skiing lesson as consolation. The weather was poor so we did not avail ourselves to this offer but just chalked it up. I was also annoyed at the midweek "Stay 4 nights, pay for 3" special - it was a deal that wasn't a deal because there is an $83.00 per night charge for tax and gratuities anyways. Overall, we paid $300 a night for the room and food for both of us - which if we had paid MORE, I would've actually felt ripped off - given the level of accommodations and once again, the quality of the dining experience.

I will say that there seemed to be a good number of people who were obviously returning guests and weren't the least bit fazed by the food or accomodations. The golfers also were clearly enjoying themselves. I think if you come with a ton of family and kids, things like the smell of the room and food are secondary to the kid/family friendly aspect; my husband and I said it would've been a great place to come when our daughter was young.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food and decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jerzymom
Eden
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This time I traveled to Lake Morey Resort with my mom to attend my nephew's graduation during the first week of June 2007. Once again, we stayed in the Terrace Wing and were delighted with the view of the lake in summer. There are canoes and paddleboats that can be taken out for a ride. Our room had a balcony where we were able to have coffee and watch the mist burn off with the sunrise. Absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Rates were a little higher because it was also Dartmouth's graduation weekend, but, in my opinion, it was worth it. My mom was delighted with the property and I have advised my brothers and sisters to stay when they come to Vermont for a visit. The staff was absolutely great and graciously accommodated our request to extend our stay for an extra day.

My only disappointment was that breakfast service ended at 9:00 am, which I thought to be a bit early for a weekend, but I took my mom to the quaint Fairlee Diner about 3 miles away and we had a blast chatting with the locals.

• Liked — The lake views, comfort & cleanliness ogf rooms; quiet, peaceful settin
  • Disliked — Breakfast service ends at 9
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!