“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly....”
Review of Lake Morey Resort

Lake Morey Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a Monday - Friday stay at this resort. I really wanted to like it here; from the website the place looked lovely and the description of dining menus sounded delicious and upscale. Unfortunately, the resort did not meet most of my expectations. However, I will say that the location and grounds are beautiful. My husband was a bit concerned because on the map, it's situated very near the highway (91) - but thankfully once you're on the grounds of the resort, you would never know.

First the Good - again, the location and grounds are beautiful and there's plenty of activity going on. In that way it's like an old fashioned hotel - with activities available and planned all day and very helpful manager & staff - they set up a desk in the a.m. to answer questions and help plan your day, make reservations, etc. There's evening entertainment (including two movies in a small on-site movie theater) and the people who came with kids and extended family seemed to be having a ball; they gather in the hotel lobby and play board games, etc. I will say that it seems to be a great place to come with young kids because of it's informality and the blandness of the food I'm sure appeals to very young and old alike.. The staff are very nice and pleasant (with the exception of the bartender who became a little grumpy when, after 3 days of drinking for both my husband and myself, I asked for a couple of wine glasses to take back to our room. There are a number of rooms that have full kitchens so I'm not sure why he reacted that way...well, I know why, but it was a bit uncalled IMO.)

The bad - the place feels rundown and musty. The lakefront grounds feel cramped and there is not really a good spot to have a quiet time to read or nap outside. The dining room is in a literal basement with pilings and exposed pipes (albeit with big picture windows and a beautiful view of the lake) and the food is almost *terrible* ; visually unappealing and extremely bland. The main protein at dinner was usually edible but I had sides that weren't. Some things fortunately looked worse than they tasted. I ordered the quail for an appetizer one night; I have no problem with eating meat, fish, etc. on the bone but all I could think of when they brought my plate was "Oh you poor thing!" The desserts were almost painful. I'm the least picky person on the planet when it comes to sweets. The cheesecake was salty and inedible. The food issue is huge because if you're not in one of the kitchen suites, you have no close by choice for meals. You would have to drive into town every night and for us, driving makes it so not a vacation. Breakfast was a hot buffet, nothing too awful - with the exception of the nearly frozen pastries & muffins and lack of interest by the waitstaff in providing coffee & refills. Interestingly, the lunch menu (which is only available as a separate paid meal) looked much more appetizing from what I could see and I ordered a sandwich one day - and it and the acompanying salad were surprisingly tasty. Then there was our room which smelled of cigarette smoke even though it was a nonsmoking room. It took me a couple of days to figure out that the smoke was wafting in from the patio below all day. I told management, they showed me a couple of other rooms but ultimately I decided to let them use an oxygenator machine and I kept the windows closed - which was disappointing again because I came to Vermont for fresh air. .

Finally - the ugly - one night at dinner, I ordered a cup of coffee and when I poured the cream, it poured out like yogurt and completely curdled in my cup. I quickly brought it to a station a bit away from my table (because I so grossed out) and asked the waitress for another cup and I never was served. The next morning I did speak with the manager and he was willing to provide a half hour water skiing lesson as consolation. The weather was poor so we did not avail ourselves to this offer but just chalked it up. I was also annoyed at the midweek "Stay 4 nights, pay for 3" special - it was a deal that wasn't a deal because there is an $83.00 per night charge for tax and gratuities anyways. Overall, we paid $300 a night for the room and food for both of us - which if we had paid MORE, I would've actually felt ripped off - given the level of accommodations and once again, the quality of the dining experience.

I will say that there seemed to be a good number of people who were obviously returning guests and weren't the least bit fazed by the food or accomodations. The golfers also were clearly enjoying themselves. I think if you come with a ton of family and kids, things like the smell of the room and food are secondary to the kid/family friendly aspect; my husband and I said it would've been a great place to come when our daughter was young.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerzymom

Reviewed August 19, 2007

This time I traveled to Lake Morey Resort with my mom to attend my nephew's graduation during the first week of June 2007. Once again, we stayed in the Terrace Wing and were delighted with the view of the lake in summer. There are canoes and paddleboats that can be taken out for a ride. Our room had a balcony where we were able to have coffee and watch the mist burn off with the sunrise. Absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Rates were a little higher because it was also Dartmouth's graduation weekend, but, in my opinion, it was worth it. My mom was delighted with the property and I have advised my brothers and sisters to stay when they come to Vermont for a visit. The staff was absolutely great and graciously accommodated our request to extend our stay for an extra day.

My only disappointment was that breakfast service ended at 9:00 am, which I thought to be a bit early for a weekend, but I took my mom to the quaint Fairlee Diner about 3 miles away and we had a blast chatting with the locals.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Went there for the Girls Weekend! It was awesome!!! The food was wonderful and the rooms were big and clean. Activities galore - from cooking classes to a scavenger hunt. Already booked next year's Girls Weekend!!!

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank busymomof3girls
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Date- 7/29/2006
Dates of visit - 7/8 - 7/11/2006
I planned a family reunion for 23 people for 3 nights and our experience far exceeded our expectations. Everyone from ages 4 to 87 had a wonderful time. We booked Terrace rooms with balconies which were large and could accommodate up to 6 people. In the past year or so the resort invested millions in updating the property and it certainly shows.

It was great that most activities were included in the nightly rate. The only extras were for golf cart rentals and motor boat and pontoon boat rides and lunches, which I might add were very reasonable. There was something to keep everyone busy and happy. The resort is small enough that we kept running into our family members but everyone was still able to participate in different activities according to their interests. One night we were given a private dining room which was very nice. The other nights they seated us together in the dining room.

The staff was great. Everyone was very accommodating and could not do enough to make our stay truly memorable. It was easy to plan the visit because the sales staff was also so helpful and met all of our requests.

They had great free child care for the 4-year old which gave parents a break and allowed her to find children to play with.

We will be back and recommend Lake Morey highly. It was a great family get away for all of us and we are still raving about our experience.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank TuffTuff
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2005

Staying at this resort is like staying at a friend's worn-down cottage: the wallpaper is peeling, the shower pressure is low, and there are pipes going through the room. On the other hand, the staff is friendly and the lake is nice. However, it's not worth the price at all.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

I think this place needs a major overhaul. For the condition of the premises, food and the outside amenities (pool) the price is very excessive. I would not return to this Inn again. The food was below average and expensive. We had several issue in our room and although we brought them to the attention of the front desk, they were unresponsive and unable to fix any of the problems we had. They made no attempt to compensate us for our troubles. The pool is in horroble condition. It was so dirty and run down looking I would not even allow my children to swim in it. I will find another location to spend the weekend when I am in this area the next time.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank vtgayda
Reviewed November 30, 2004

We have stayed at the Inn over 10 years in the summer. The food is great and the staff for the most part are very attentive. The Lake is wonderful to look at any time. Fanastic place to bring kids alot to do.
Golf is alot of fun good groups of people.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
7 mi away
Nootka Lodge
Nootka Lodge
#1 of 1 in Woodsville
Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!