“Nice short-term getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
New York
“Nice short-term getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

GOOD

The entire staff was very friendly and accommodating.

There are so many great activities included in the price of your stay: canoeing, tennis, billiards etc.

Dinner was amazing! The chef went beyond what we expected. Succulent steak cooked to perfection, tasty and juicy shrimp. I love the addition of maple syrup to the butter and I’m still thinking about those dinner rolls. The drinks were great too! Try the Black Margarita or the Vermont Russian. We had breakfast at the nearby Fairlee diner. It was terribly overrated. The only thing we enjoyed was the blueberry pancakes. We should have tried the resort breakfast. There is another place nearby called North Woods Café in Bradford. If you must eat outside the hotel, I would recommend trying their breakfast first.

BAD

We received great dinner service on both nights. On night one we were served by Karen we and tipped her 20+ %. (Tipping on the full value of the dinner not just the total after subtracting our dinner voucher).On night two Suzanne gave us excellent service so we were appalled when she added the gratuity. We didn’t mention this to the server, but if this is the restaurant/resort policy it should be stated clearly on the menu. We are well aware of tipping procedure and proper percentages so we thought it was very tacky to have it added automatically when we were such a small party.

UGLY

We stayed in a deluxe lake front room. I’m sorry but there was nothing deluxe about it. The view of the lake was lovely. However, the rooms are very small, the furniture and finishing were outdated, the bathrooms are so small the average person can barely turn around and the shower pressure is so low it took forever to rinse the shower gel. Wifi is slow. We were surprised because there were not a lot of guests the weekend we stayed. For the most part, the rooms were very clean.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a short weekend getaway. I would possibly come back but I'd have to be guaranteed a better room.

Room Tip: It's nice to have the lake view but the rooms are just too small. I have not segn the garden vie...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tara S
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Tara,

The leaves are changing, mornings are cool, with winter on our doorstep. And with winter knocking, it's time to get amped for skiing- and what better way with an old school ski movie. You see, growing up in the 1980's we had Warren Miller and Greg Stump. Greg Stump was my choice, and with your review reminding me of one of his flicks, well I just can't help myself....

So a homage to the "Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly"; and everything about the late 1980's when skiing ruled my world and nothing else mattered.

The GOOD

I will let Geoff know of your complete satisfaction with your meals. Please give the Fairlee diner another chance. It's been an institution here in Fairlee; and while business seems to come and go along main street Fairlee, they have been a constant for decades. There is also another breakfast/lunch establishment on main street- The whistle stop cafe. Also very good.

The RAD

I have spoken with Michelle regarding a consistent gratuity procedure for Travelzoo reservations. It is our policy to add gratuity for these vouchers and we will ensure all future guests are aware of this. I apologize for the miscommunication, but do appreciate your comments as it serves as to immediately rectify our procedures.

The GNARLY

Trust me on this- we have so many rooms with different shapes and sizes that the term "cookie cutter hotel" does not apply. My Grandfather was responsible for much of the additions to this hotel, and he refused to include architects in his plans. The end result are rooms of varying sizes, some that encompass a tennis court to some that mirror a NYC hotel room- you may have had the later of the two. Though not aware of water pressure issues, I will investigate a correct if necessary.

So a thanks to Greg Stump and the G.the R.& the G for making snow so magical,

and a special Thank you for you for sharing your experience.

My Best,

Mark Avery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
boston area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I'm a an annual visitor and a very satisfied customer once again. I visit as part of a golfing group, and had an excellent visit again. The terrace rooms are a perfect spot to relax while watching the loons on the lake (and commonly an Sat afternoon wedding). The weather was perfect as well, and that always makes the golfing fun. The meals were terrific - lobster bisque was particular good. My only complaint was the band Friday evening. Not of the usual quality, but those can be iffy. Thanks again to the Avery family for a wonderful getaway!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Susan,

I am pleased you once again had a wonderful stay. I agree with the lobster bisque- had two bowls that evening! My evening shift begins with a soup- if it's Cream of Mushroom or Minestrone- going to be a long cranky night. If its a cold soup (perhaps Gazpacho)- just going to call in sick. But the lobster bisque- nothing but peaches and cream all evening.

Have a great day,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

A hidden gold mine in the mountains of northern vermont on a nice quiet lake. The last of the old family run resorts that do not penny pinch you to use boats, bikes and other recreational activities at the resort. They have a kids camp that our children loved, movies every night for the kids at 7:00 and an adult movie at 9 pm or entertainment in their bar area. The terrace rooms are nice and roomy and my favorite of all their room options because of the terraces that you sit on and enjoy the view of the lake. my dad is 83 years old and after a round of golf, he spends the rest of the afternoons on the terrace napping or reading a book.The golf course is top notch and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. We have been vacationing here for over two generations and we continue to come back.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Vacationdmd
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
My idea of revenue management is to pay the bills, and see what is left over. Overly simplistic perhaps, but what I've learned as a third generation Innkeeper is quite simple- embrace all who come through the doors, and the rest will take care of itself.

Hope to see your third generation enjoy Lake Morey, and it the meantime...

I will continue mining for elusive gold nuggets; but lets not keep it so hidden.

Thanks,

Rockland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I, plus our 17 yr old son stayed at this resort for four days in August. After researching quite a few places to stay in Vermont where we could affordably have a nice relaxing and stress free time, we decided on this resort and we weren't disappointed! We didn't play golf ( although the course looked beautiful), however, we did enjoy the other numerous activities, and my husband and son especially loved the kayaking. One day we were just sitting on the patio overlooking the lake and a bald eagle swooped down, caught a fish then flew off right in front of us, beautiful sight! I have to confess that the day it rained non stop I had a lovely peaceful time all by myself just sitting in the lounge looking out over the lake knitting, (yikes I sound like a Grandma and I'm not one lol). I found the suite we stayed in to be very nice, and very clean. I do wish there had been a coffee maker, but we brought a mini electric kettle so I could make some instant (I need coffee the MINUTE I wake up), the fridge was nice to have though. As far as the food goes, it was delicious, and my compliments to the chef, he is a definite keeper! The only drawback I would say is that there is really nothing around in the IMMEDIATE area. However, we did take a little trip (about half an hour) to Quechee Gorge village where there is a large antique barn, toy museum, Cabot cheesery, and a couple other little stores. Plus, we also took a trip to Hanover (Dartmouth College town) and the quaint little town of Woodstock. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gillian D
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I'm pleased you had a relaxing, enjoyable stay. Our resident Bald Eagles are a sight to behold- majestic and proud. Your perceptions of our Chef are spot-on, and will be sure to relay your experience.
Nothing around in the immediate area?- Thinking, Thinking, stiiiillll Thinking-give me a couple months and I will come up with something.

Hope to see you again,

Mark Avery

(I believe I will forever be disbarred from our local chamber of commerce)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We loved our time here! We found Lake Morey Resort on a Google search and noticed that each review had a response from the owner (that showed us that they cared) and we were not disappointed. Our room was clean, quiet and had an amazing view of the lake (I recommend getting a lake view room if available). The resort offered many family activities (if you choose not to golf)...bicycles, kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, swimming in the lake to the floating platform, in-door heated pool & hot-tub, camp-fires w/ Smores :) and a professional story teller, guided hikes (and guided kayak/canoe tours) with the owner's wife Lisa, nightly movies in their movie theater (kids movie at 7, adults movie at 9), ping-pong, billiards, yoga, water balloon toss, Wii Dance-off, renovated gym...all included with your room charge! For an extra fee you can rent 30 or 60 minute blocks on a ski-boat (tubing, wake-boarding, or water skiing)...comes with a driver (we had Ken who was awesome and hilarious...absolutely loves his job!!). Can also pay extra for an evening pontoon boat ride. My wife got a massage at the spa and loved it. She said the spa was beautifully renovated. The resort offers all meals and you can include b-fast/dinner in your room rate. We decided not to do that because the meals were a little more than we wanted to pay, but we did have lunch and dinner there and the food was excellent!! For our meals we ate breakfast in our room (cereal...they put a mini-fridge in our room on request) and ate dinner out in the local area.
Sorry for the long review...overall great experience and would definitely do it again! Thanks again to Lisa and crew at Lake Morey for such a fun time!

Room Tip: Recommend lake view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank MarkNicole
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Your'e Hired- Christine will welcome you with open arms in Marketing! My wife told me she brought your family poison ivy soap following your hike to wash its toxins before an outbreak. I bet she neglected to tell you I just had a head to toe outbreak and she brought me a whole lot of laughter.

We are thrilled you had a great stay, enjoy the rest of the summer.

Best,

Stratham, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times mainly because there isn't something better close to our daughters camp. I really can't stand it anymore. The rooms are tired; they're never really clean (today there was blood on my comforter and the bathroom counters hadn't been cleaned) and the walls are paper thin- I cannot sleep when we stay here due to the noise. The pool is disgusting. The dining is subpar and way overpriced so we drive 40 minutes north or south for a good meal. The lobby and halls smell like chlorine and mildew. These people are arrogant and obviously feel they can get away with it because of the lake- which is beautiful. After 4 years of this insult we've got to get a new place! Maybe we should just stay in Quechee since we eat there anyway! Stay away.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DeedeeLaw
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Please let us know of these issues while you are here- particularly of your housekeeping issues. I don't believe I have ever disagreed with any reviewer on trip advisor, but I can assure you not I nor any of our staff would ever act in an arrogant manner and use the lake as our salvation. We are certainly not perfect, but our level of gratitude for all that come through these doors has always been, and will always be nothing but appreciative.
I truly feel guilty for having charged you any funds to stay here based on your level of satisfaction; please contact us anytime and I will gladly grant you a full refund from your recent stay.

Grantham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have been to Lake Morey resort several times and are always very pleased. My favorite thing about Lake Morey Resort is the options of family activities. Our teenager can relax and get a spa, while our little one can play in the water or go to the children's program (which is so cool she ASKS to go!). My husband golfs and I can catch up on some reading, lakeside. The family fun continues into the night with family activities offered in there Steam Boat Lounge.This year we went for the July 4th weekend. The resort joins in with the towns celebration of July 4th with a float. The children (if they choose) can join in on the fun with face painting and crafts. They also can ride the float. This is a HUGE highlight of the trip for our 8 year old. The town offers a wonderful fire work display which is just amazing to watch from your private balcony in their terrace rooms :) I would definitely recommend this as a fun filled family resort for all ages!

Room Tip: The terrace rooms are so AMAZING. They have private balconies :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JandPFamily
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
So I'm brainstorming possibilities for the float next year- maybe the Ghostbusters mobile? I try not to 'bug' our master float builder too early- I will try to give him a couple months reprieve from my incessant ideas. But July 4th is definetely one of the many highlights of summer.

See you around,

Mark Avery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
#1 of 2 in Hanover
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!