“Nice full service resort”
Review of Lake Morey Resort

Lake Morey Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I dropped into this resort for a day last week. We purchased the "golf package" which included two rounds of gold, a room, dinner & breakfast. The golf course was fun and well run. Our dinner was wonderful and our room had two queen beds with very nice sheets. Over all this was a very well run resort with many activities for all ages.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank JdogRossCa.
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

I thank you for giving us the opportunity.

Enjoy,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We travel, and I travel a lot. We got into this hotel because a room shortage near Hanover, NH and this is down the road. Because we travel a lot, we have expertise in travel and this place is a joke out of the 60's. Few observations: While the rooms are not cheap, no help offered with luggage upon check in, interiors look like snap shot of the 1960s and not in a good way. In our room the floor slanted, the entry door did not fit the jam, the tub enclosure was cheap flex plastic, the hot and cold waters were reversed in the bathroom, hair dryer looked dirty and was broken, the toilet is old fashioned size, no desk in room, only one mirror in whole room..none full length, and to top it all off, had room on 2nd floor and on first floor was super loud bar band that played too late and way too loud. Could hear throughout the building. Thin walls and little sound proofing. Hampton Inn is way better. You gotta be kidding me. Run!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get as high up in building as you can. Get away from the cocktail lounge area!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Harry G
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

All guest feedback is helpful; I do appreciate your observations. I will speak with Ken, our building engineer, to see if we can modify some of the characteristics of Rm. 230. This is actually my second thread regarding this room. Please see the guest review of April 13th, and my subsequent response.

I see you are checking out tomorrow and I must point out we do have a band this evening as well (Friday, Saturday evenings during the summer season there is live entertainment in our lounge) so we are contacting you as I write to offer another King Lakeview which will be in a much quieter section of the Resort. Of course assistance with your luggage is available, just give Crystal a call at extension 0.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Nice Vermont Resort with a touch of yesterday. Everything was great! Very pretty location, well kept grounds, clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and outstanding food. Great place for families with kids. Lots to do from playing golf, swimming, tennis, riding a bike, hiking or taking out a boat.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the lake had a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Randy,

I am thrilled to see you had a great stay. We are a dash of yesterday, grounded in the present, and look to evolve with the future while staying true to our genuine hospitality.

Thanks,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at Lake Morey Resort. We spend 7 days New England and stayed here for 2 nights in the middle of the whirlwind tour we were doing. The plan was to rest and play golf for a couple of nights. It was so much more than that. The room we were given had a panoramic view of the lake and mountains and was absolutely gorgeous. We got in rather late so we just enjoyed the sunset and a cocktail from the bar looking out over the lake, then went to the pool and hot tub area and enjoyed the rest of the evening. The next day we played golf on one of the most beautiful and scenic golf courses we had ever seen. It was stunning and had beautiful views on every hole. After golf we ate lunch in the clubhouse and had one of the best hamburgers we have ever had, and that is saying something because we eat them everywhere we go!! Everyone was so friendly there too..the lady working there gave us some history of the resort and it was very interesting. The owners take extreme pride in the property and it shows everywhere you look. Rick, one of the owners, has a hands on approach to the resort and such attention to detail is admirable. We ate dinner that night at the lovely restaurant looking out over the lake. The filet mignon we ordered was like butter, perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned. The food was absolutely delicious. Rick stopped by our table to check on us and make sure everything was going great for us..and it was. It was a great experience and everything we could want. Obviously it was great for other people too because in the parking lot and the pool area we encountered guests who were frequent visitors and they couldn't say enough nice things about the resort. We are now among the past visitors who will be giving glowing reviews of Lake Morey Resort. Our visit was a perfect 10.

Room Tip: Try the huge room at the end of the resort..beautiful 20 foot wall of windows looking out over the l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Debbie Z
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Debbie,

Thanks for your kind review. It was finally nice to but a face to our email exchanges leading up to your visit.
As you have probably figured out, you got my name wrong- but no worries, for a 'perfect 10' anyone can call me any name between Aaron and Zach.

Have a great day,

Mark

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at Lake Morey Resort for one night when I was in town for a local event. I wish I could have stayed longer. The setting is beautiful and I enjoyed sitting by the lake with a cocktail at days end. The lake is gorgeous. It was still cool when I was there but it must be amazing in season for kayaking and canoeing. The staff were pleasant, professional and accommodating. I had a couple of appetizers which I ordered to have in my room and both were very good.

Room Tip: Room 214 is huge. It is essentially a suite and would be perfect for a small family wanting to budg...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ACJ611
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Yes, some days I want to drink 10 cocktails by the lake at days end- just kidding- it's always peaches and cream here at Lake Morey!

As a matter of fact we put in the canoes and kayaks this morning and you are absolutely correct, it is amazing out on the lake- especially in the early a.m. amidst the gentle fog and the peaceful waters with our resident Bald Eagles overhead.

So I believe you were in Rm. 211 (we do not have a Rm. 214) Believe it or not Rm. 323 makes Rm. 211 seem small- it's bigger than most city apartments.

Anyway, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and do return in the future.

Cheers,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

An incredibly spectacular mountainside lake view can overcome almost any negatives at this hotel. It's true the outside appearance of the hotel is shabby. The exterior stairwells are unkept, the building paint peeling, the architecture in general uninspiring. But as other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are very generous, the balcony a lovely spot for hanging out to gaze at the lake or stargaze in the evening. Loved the large bath towels provided. What doesn't work is the lack of soundproofing between rooms. Hearing the early riser next door showering at 5AM doesn't lend itself to a restful stay. Still being able to hear the next door neighbor's cell phone set respectfully on a low buzz was a bit disconcerting too. As a single woman traveling, the ability to double lock the hotel door from the inside or at least apply a chain guard should not be overlooked by the property owner. The doors after all are somewhat ancient, even the method for gaining access to the room is outdated. The front desk hospitality was extraordinary and lovely. The dining room bartender and wait staff did not go out of their way to be solicitous in any way. In fact after sitting at the bar originally to have a drink, we opted to move to a table since we both thought the bartender unfriendly. He was an older gentleman, perhaps he was tired. But he's in the hospitality business and friendly service is the name of the game. We thought the menu was very limiting with just a choice of 3 appetizers, 2 salads and 3 entrees. Eating gluten free was naturally even more limiting, despite inquiring twice before booking the reservation that this could be easily accommodated. Perhaps consultation between the front desk and the cook prior to a guest's arrival would help everyone feel less hassled by what is a common food restriction in society today. Overall I'm glad I visited during the shoulder season because I could imagine it getting loud in the summer. I wish I had been able to have a spa treatment. Can't speak about the offerings at the spa, but I did poke my head in to the facility and it looked very nice. This property could be very special with enhancements to security, privacy,dining and in-room service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lori M
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Lori,

Thank you for your detailed response. Please know we are in the process of re-carpeting all interior hallways, and stairwells of the hotel. Typically this is done during winter, but a few delays pushed this project into parts of May. Certainly not ideal as the initial removal of carpet can create a mess in the public areas. This hotel has been constructed during different decades, with my Grandfather responsible for half of the construction. And like a traditional yankee, he was efficient/thrifty and conducted major construction without the aid of architects, or project managers. So initially you can save on much capital expense, the drawback is you do not benefit from their expertise.
To clarify, all guestroom doors lock once the door is closed and all are equipped with an additional deadbolt that can only be unlocked from the rooms interior. A state of the art entry system is being installed to all guest room doors the end of the month.
Our dinner menu changes nightly during the season with the additional option of a pub style menu. Being the shoulder season, we offered an upscale pub menu your particular weekend. Special dietary restrictions are always accommodated but are not necessarily on the menu. Due to the high amount of constrasting food allergies people have, we have found it effective to simply create these restricted menu items on an individual basis.
Any staff member who does not project a manner consistant with Vermont hospitality, and more particular my families sense of hospitality is taken very seriously and addressed.
Sorry for my long winded response, but I certainly wanted to address your observations.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Brought my friend up here for a birthday present. We were instantly treated by the fantastic staff. The character of this place was second to none. We got a 3rd floor, corner room, (#320), with spectacular views of the lake and mountains on two sides of the room. Windows were HUGE. Whole room was massive and very clean. Played golf 2 days. Even though it was early spring, the course was in very good condition and greens were just about perfect. Awesome course layout too. The views of the surrounding mountains around the course and lake were superb. Going from hole to hole with the golf cart, my friend and I commented that we felt we were on a Disney ride with all the hills, water crossings and ponds everywhere. Just super. And we didn't have to wait once to tee off. As for the hotel attractions, I couldn't believe so much was included in the room price. Indoor pool. Exercise room. Seperate billards room. Professional movie theater, (we also asked the front desk if it would be alright to bring our own DVD's to watch. The answer was, " Yup, just no rated "R". No problem with that. Next time we go, I'm bringing the "Star Wars Trilogy" :-). Canoes once it gets warmer. My friend said he wished he had brought a book to read before bed. Again, no problem. Just go downstairs and get one. Honestly, a fantastic deal. Can't wait for summer to go back and take advantage of everything else they have to offer. My friend and I both left more than happy and with great memories.

Room Tip: I would ask for a 3rd floor room facing the lake. Room # 320 if it's available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank zoesmom65
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Do you know what I received for my last birthday? Certainly not a weekend away at Lake Morey (I cannot elaborate as my wife reads my responses). Looking for any new friends?

You are absolutely correct, Rm. 320 affords some of the finest views of Lake Morey. Now that the warmer weather has arrived, the tulips are blooming, and the grass is greening making the golf course even more in touch with summer.

I am pleased you had a memorable experience, and equally pleased to hear your'e returning this summer to further your memories.

See you soon,

Mark Avery

p.s.- (my birthday is Nov. 3, it's never to early to plan).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
7 mi away
Nootka Lodge
Nootka Lodge
#1 of 1 in Woodsville
Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!