“Improving with time”

Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Improving with time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have attended the Girls Weekend at Lake Morey. There have been several upgrades done in the hotel rooms which have made the rooms nicer. We stayed in a Jr. Suite. There is two beds and a pullout sofa. There is tv, a desk with two chairs, two soft chairs with a lamp table and a balcony. The door to the balcony was very hard to open but the management said that these doors were slated to be replaced this year. We also requested a fridge, it is small but average size for a hotel room. The bathroom is large with two sinks, toilet and large tub/shower,closet in the bathroom with iron and ironing board. There is a hair dryer but it does not have alot of power. There is also a closet right near the door. The room is very nice in appearance and the beds are comfortable.
The hotel is very old but this gives it alot of character. There are all types of hallways and rooms. For Girls Weekend there is alot of classes held all over the hotel. It is a very fun weekend which is all inclusive in price. It begins Thursday evening, all day Friday and Saturday and morning on Sunday. Meals are included: breakfast Fri, Sat and Sun and dinner Thurs, Fri and Sat. The food is very good. The breakfasts and one dinner is buffet and two of the dinners are sit down order off menu. For these meals there is two or three appetizers, two salad, about four entrees to select and then desserts to pick from also.
I did think that I enjoyed the 1st time I went more since everything was new to me. The 2nd year alot of the classes are either the same of similar to the year before. It is more fun if you can go with alot of girls you know. Overall a very fun experience.
The staff is very nice and helpful.
I felt like I stepped back in time but also with the new updates, was very comfortable also. There is a pool and hot tub. I did not care for the hot tub but I did enjoy the pool. It is rather small so I would imagine if there were alot of kids staying there it could get very crowded. However for Girls weekend this is not a concern.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are the best Suites and Jr Suites offer alot of room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time for your review. The Ladies Weekends are always a blast. We try to mix up the classes each year in order to keep it fresh for returning ladies. We get a lot of our class ideas from the satisfaction surveys ladies fill out highlighting their experience. You actually stayed in one of our Terrace Rooms as we do have Junior Suites but are situated differently from your description. I try to strike a balance with technology and the expected conveniences of today's world but at the same time keeping the character and charm of an old building.
Anyway we hope to see you next year, and any class suggestions for this weekend are always appreciated.

Mark Avery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved our stay at Lake Morey Inn. We chose it primarily because of the skating trail on it's lake, 4.5 miles of skating trail. It was completely awesome even when it was 15 degrees. I chose a room that had a lake front view instead of the larger room that was the same cost. The room was very small but so worth the view. What I found to be very disappointing was that there wasn't a refrigerator in the room? But you could pay an extra fee to have one? The staff was very accommodating. We stayed over Superbowl Sunday into Monday. Well I guess we were one of only a few guests that had booked, however, when I woke up in the morning there was the hot coffee brewing in the lobby. I was so appreciative. Pool area along with hot tub were very date and a little blah-there is a reason they don't have a picture of them on their website, although it worked fine for us and our kids. Restaurant was closed while we were there, but did read it was a little pricey anyways. Continental breakfast would be a great addition. Despite these minor issues, it was location, location, location-on the lake with the skating trail and hockey rinks was something special and we will be back again next year.

Room Tip: Spend the money for a lake front room, just amazing to watch skaters skating around the lake.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kevin S
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Kevin,

Please be aware we do have large lake view rooms with balconies (Terrace Section). Though we cannot place refridgerators in every room, they are available. I never want to 'nickle and dime' our guests, and I apologize for trying to do so with this extra fee. From this point forward we will not charge for this item. Though the budget will not allow a stick of dynamite to be placed in the pool and the subsequent rebuild, we will be doing some touch-up work which should show an improvement.

I'm pleased you will return and lets hope for another cold, snowy winter.

Thanks,
Saugus, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was my 3rd year in a row going to the winter carnival. Lots to do for the kids and the adults. We rented a Terrace room for the first time . Very large with a great view of the lake! This is an old hotel with a lot of charm.I have seen a few reviews were people whined about petty things go stay in a big chain hotel. I go away to relax and thats what you get at Lake Morey Resort! Wireless worked great also. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Jr suite has a cool living room but no view. Terrace rooms are huge with awesome views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sledhead33
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for taking part in winter carnival once again. I must say the winter weather cooperated this year providing for ideal skate and ski conditions throughout the season. This hotel is held together by more than just screws, nails, and wood. The charm is a result of decades of caring family ownership. When these walls talk, and sometimes they do, its stories are priceless.

Hope to see you again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We've visited this inn 2 times in 2 months this winter. First with my husband to skate on the groomed 4.5 mile lake behind the inn and relax. The place closes down early when nothing is going on (front desk, door and lobby closed, locked, lights out when we returned at 10:30pm). The next time we brought our kids for winter carnival and we all had nice time skating, movies in their movie theater, family games, swimming etc. There is little to do (seemingly nothing) in the immediate area which is typically what we look for but I wanted to try nordic skating and found the clean quiet inn to be a bonus...also free skate rentals for guests.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank thirties8
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We're glad you took the opportunity to try our nordic skate trail, and enjoyed our offerings during school vacation week. Lets put it this way, last Sunday I boiled sap into maple syrup- a six hour endeavor that consists of watching water evaporate (kind of like watching paint dry). So seemingly not much to do in this area?

Enjoy

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a meeting in the area and had spent a night there a few years ago. I booked the hotel several weeks in advance but received an email that the restaurant would not be open unless I was part of the conference; I didn't think much of it. The night I arrived there were many people there for a farm conference. However, it ended the next day and when I returned that evening, mine was one of only 3 cars in the lot, and the front door was locked with lobby lights out. No more guests on my third and final night, a Friday. As a solo female traveler I felt very uneasy and did not sleep well. I wish they had informed me what their hotel is like in the off season and given me the option of staying in an almost empty resort. At least they still had coffee available in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nancy N
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Certainly at times it is quiet here at the hotel, particularly during the 'in-between' seasons of November, December, and April. I apologize you felt uneasy, though we do have staff who occupy the hotel throughout these quieter times to ensure everyones safety.

Happy Holidays,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed overnight recently and found the hotel desk staff helpful and pleasant, we were upgraded to a lakefront room, great view, room was large and updated, same with the bathroom, morning buffet was good, typical of most buffets and the meal voucher paid for the breakfast. We were expecting from past reviews to find a tired building-it was but the grounds were well kept, hallways could use updating, especially the carpets. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellyk2012
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thanks for your input. All hallway carpets are being replaced this winter during the off-season. It will be an extensive project, but easier just to finish the task all at once rather than over a couple seasons.
Glad you enjoyed your stay, hope to see you in the future.

Albany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I took a chance for our fall college break and bought two nights through travelzoo. When looking over the web site I noticed the no denim and appropriate dress restrictions and packed accordingly. Our room (328) has a spectacular view and we truly enjoyed that. Wi-fi was intermittent unless in the lobby. The resort itself has a nice ambiance and we enjoyed spreading out in one of the lobby level rooms and reading our Sunday NY Times. Golf was great and we, too, took advantage of the over 55 prices at the golf course. All in all we had a great stay from an accommodation perspective.
The food was the rub. The prix fixe was quite limited. The appetizer and salad were fine, although my smoked salmon was minuscule. Neither of us found much that we liked among the 3 or 4 entrees and did not enjoy them at all. The cheesecake for dessert was reminiscent of Sara Lee. The service was mediocre. Breakfast was a buffet that was overpriced for dried scrambled eggs, thawed pastries and tasteless sausage and bacon. So, IMO, their food model did not work for me at all. Had much better meals when we went to the Fairlee Diner ans Jesse;s in Hanover.
Would I go there again? Yes, of course which was why I gave it 3 stars. I would just not eat there. And, btw, despite the numerous exhortations about no denim in the dining room I counted 6 customer wearing the offending garment - dress code indeed.

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swarttav
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I will speak to the Chef regarding the food. Our dress code was put in place 10 years ago. We have found in this time of informality that our requirements are becoming increasingly difficult to enforce. This Winter season we plan to update this item with the attempt to accommodate all. To interject my personal opinion, I would welcome the day when our society returns to an era where a special occasion may warrant a special fabric, when we can cut the tether to our electronics without the fear of the end of days.

Enjoy,

Mark Avery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!