“Enjoyed Our Stay”
Review of Lake Morey Resort

Lake Morey Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed overnight recently and found the hotel desk staff helpful and pleasant, we were upgraded to a lakefront room, great view, room was large and updated, same with the bathroom, morning buffet was good, typical of most buffets and the meal voucher paid for the breakfast. We were expecting from past reviews to find a tired building-it was but the grounds were well kept, hallways could use updating, especially the carpets. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ellyk2012
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thanks for your input. All hallway carpets are being replaced this winter during the off-season. It will be an extensive project, but easier just to finish the task all at once rather than over a couple seasons.
Glad you enjoyed your stay, hope to see you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Lake Morey Resort

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I took a chance for our fall college break and bought two nights through travelzoo. When looking over the web site I noticed the no denim and appropriate dress restrictions and packed accordingly. Our room (328) has a spectacular view and we truly enjoyed that. Wi-fi was intermittent unless in the lobby. The resort itself has a nice ambiance and we enjoyed spreading out in one of the lobby level rooms and reading our Sunday NY Times. Golf was great and we, too, took advantage of the over 55 prices at the golf course. All in all we had a great stay from an accommodation perspective.
The food was the rub. The prix fixe was quite limited. The appetizer and salad were fine, although my smoked salmon was minuscule. Neither of us found much that we liked among the 3 or 4 entrees and did not enjoy them at all. The cheesecake for dessert was reminiscent of Sara Lee. The service was mediocre. Breakfast was a buffet that was overpriced for dried scrambled eggs, thawed pastries and tasteless sausage and bacon. So, IMO, their food model did not work for me at all. Had much better meals when we went to the Fairlee Diner ans Jesse;s in Hanover.
Would I go there again? Yes, of course which was why I gave it 3 stars. I would just not eat there. And, btw, despite the numerous exhortations about no denim in the dining room I counted 6 customer wearing the offending garment - dress code indeed.

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking lake
1  Thank swarttav
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I will speak to the Chef regarding the food. Our dress code was put in place 10 years ago. We have found in this time of informality that our requirements are becoming increasingly difficult to enforce. This Winter season we plan to update this item with the attempt to accommodate all. To interject my personal opinion, I would welcome the day when our society returns to an era where a special occasion may warrant a special fabric, when we can cut the tether to our electronics without the fear of the end of days.

Enjoy,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We just returned from an overnight visit at Lake Morey Inn. I will say, when we drove up, I was a little disappointed by the appearance. When I saw "resort", I was anticipating a more luxurious building. It looked more like a "motel". But other than the initial impression, we were very pleased. Our room was right on the lake, and it had a HUGE window so you could enjoy the view. I would highly recommend asking for a room with the view. In the fall, the colored leaves reflect on the lake and the mist from the lake in the early morning is breathtaking. We did enjoy a great meal there. It is a "set menu" with a choice of 3 appetizers, 2 salads and a 4-5 entries. We both ordered the filet and we were pleasantly surprised. Everything was great. The next day we played golf across the road. Great course, beautiful VT. They had a "senior" (55+) mid-week special $28 for 18 holes with a cart. For once I was happy to be 55! The fall was a beautiful time to go although based on the location, I can only imagine how great the summer would be too!

Room Tip: Views of the lake are spectacular!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

MassMoma,

Glad you had a great getaway.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed there with my wife because she had a meeting for 3 days.Although the stay was fine i found out while dinner was provided for my wife, I tried to get something to eat at the bar because there is not too much to choose from in town, Well i was told by the friendly bartender that they do not serve any food at the bar and if i wanted something that i would have to go change my clothes because i had a tee-shirt on and needed a collared shirt. While he told me that he was eating dinner at the bar,which made wonder if he could get something why couldn't I?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Scott,

It makes me wonder as well.

Ughhhh.

(This will be addressed)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The view of the lake was nice, and the oversized room "we had" was nice, but there were many things about the place that were only so-so...

The architecture originally was "quaint Vermont mountain lake" but it has been remodeled into "crummy Holiday Inn". I mean crummy. But if that doesn't matter to you, the view is nice.... We looked into a number of other rooms as we left (cleaning ladies had doors open everywhere), and saw the rooms. They tried, but whoever did the remodel/designer work missed the boat completely. Everything squeaks and is out of line (crooked walls, etc) but it looks "Holiday Inn" new, only they just covered over the old building - which was REALLY old.

If I had a cabin across the lake and had to look at this monstrosity (rather than a quaint Vermont mountain resort) I'd be plenty upset. Did I mention ugly?

The young lady on the night shift, Crystal, was so nice and lovely, but the day staff had their head's up their backsides (so to speak), were unhelpful and unfriendly.

We did it for one night, but wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a Lake View Room! (Otherwise you will look at a parking lot)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank FromPortlandOregon

I have spoken to Crystal regarding your kind comments. To give you dates, the main building was built in 1905, with adjacent wings built during different decades, ranging from the 50's to the 80's. It is a tall task for an interior designer to mesh era's together.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was the best lodging, dining and vacation experience I believe we have ever had the privilege to experience. Our dining experience was comparable to no other and the Chef is obviously well educated in culinary arts. This is no fly by night operation but one of exquisite taste in every thing: service, accommodations, dining, amenities, complimentary coffee and a smooth checkout. We could ask for nothing better. You will be glad you made the trip.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are the best. Higher floors probably eliminate the sound of people walking ov...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words as we all work very hard to ensure a great stay for all. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Lake Morey Resort this week-end and very much enjoyed our stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was fabulous and good portions. We loved that the resort had the nostalgic feel of an old time inn. We were impressed with the gym equipment - you typically do not see this much or type of equipment in any hotel/motel, etc. Regarding others comments about the tv & limited channels - this did not bother us as we were here to relax and get away from the everyday busy life. We had a great time and definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: Lake view is great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Patty M,

Well its like I have spoken about in previous posts, we are not a corporate chain that was built in the last 20 years. We do have a nostalgic feel which is part of our appeal. Thanks for choosing us and hope to see you again in the future.

Mark Avery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!