“Never Again”

Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Never Again”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here as part of conference package just this past weekend. I immediately noticed a strong smell of must and mold in the entire place..and my allergies were triggered. My room smelled like a wet dog had been living in it, and while we put the air conditioning on and the smell got better..it crept back overnight. The lunch provided came out of an extremely scary kitchen that looked filthy and dark...dining staff was unfriendly and they packed 300 people into one room with doors on just one end. I ended up leaving in the middle of the conference as my allergies were overwhelming. Not a place I would ever stay again!!

Room Tip: East End was better than the rest..but not by much.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Lisa D
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Lisa D,

I'm sorry you had an unpleasant stay. As always any and all suggestions are taken seriously.

Mark Avery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sandwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This resort needs some serious updating. It is tired and out of date. The price is lower than other resorts in the area so maybe I shouldn't complain too much but even a Super 8 has more than 10 tv channels. We wanted to watch some of the baseball playoffs but the 20 year old tv was only hooked up for basic cable. Because there was no tv to watch, my husband and I went to the "billiard room" for a game of pool and had to share a cue because the others didn't have tips. The woman at the desk couldn't find any tips either. The food was mediocre at best and the decor of the dining room reminded me of a "Golden Girls" set. We also played golf which was okay. It wasn't a championship course but it was enjoyable as we were surroundied by the foliage covered hills. As I said in the beginning, the price is low for a resort but it still didn't have the basic comforts we are used to even from a chain hotel.

1 Thank aroundthesphere
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience at Lake Morey. This winter we are purchasing new televisions, however this area is seriously challenged when it comes to cable. Fairlee still has no basic cable television services, so it is very difficult to efficiently offer a multitude of channels. We installed new tips to the pool cues a couple days ago. The dining room is scheduled to receive some designing touches this winter.
Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts as these reviews serve as an impetus for change.

Bromont, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were there Oct.8 and 9,2012. We had gotten a deal from Travelzoo. We come from Bromont, Quebec. It's a nice inn, but somewhat old style. Needs a bit of renovation. Room was standard, quite big. But some furniture was missing. TV is old style and has only 12 channels. Wallpaper in flower style; not the most modern. The food was very-very good and full plates (a bit too much, for us, Canadians who are not used to eat that much). Morning breakfast is so-so; not that great- buffet style. Could be better. Service was very good- they even changed our room for one better situated. Nothing much to do at that time of the year except golfing which is very nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for your response. This family run Resort was built in 1905 so there will be some aspects of old style. As I stated in another post, among many other renovations this upcoming Winter, new televisions are on the slate. Cable television is lacking in this area so it is very difficult to offer Snooki, QVC, and anything associated with Bruce Jenner. I realize this is a standard but Bruce Springsteen said it best, "54 channels and nothing on." I understand your comment about the floral wallpaper border as I too have been crafting ideas how best to update this aspect in the most efficient manner.

Thanks again,

Warwick
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We will absolutely return to the Lake Morey Inn. The staff were friendly and professional. Our room was clean and cozy with a spectacular view of the lake. On our first night we enjoyed a fabulous three-course dinner. The next night the dining room featured a buffet that included prime rib, coconut shrimp and many other delicious items. We enjoyed the pool room and especially the hot tub; we also liked the movie theatre on the premise on our second night. Lake Morey Resort is one minute from the highway making it an easy launch to get to and from area attractions. Our only regret is that our two days there were mostly rainy so we could not take advantages of their canoes or kayaks.

Room Tip: If you request a room with a view of the lake they will likely accomodate you.
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
So glad you had a lovely stay here at Lake Morey. Yes, we have had quite a cold and rainy stretch; winter is definetely around the corner.

Look forward to seeing you again,

Salem, MA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight as a belated anniversary getaway. We had stayed at the Inn on our first anniversary, so we thought it would be great to go back for our 23rd. We weren't disappointed. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. My husband mistakenly booked a double room, so we called and asked to switch to a king and were accommodated without any hesitation, wrangling, or problems. We had a lovely corner room overlooking the lake. The rooms are quite lovely, in my opinion. I didn't see lots of wear and tear and didn't feel as though it was "outdated" as other reviewers have said. I thought the decor was tasteful (I distinctly remember carpet on the walls when I was there 22 years ago, so believe me, this was much nicer!). Having a room with a view of the lake is definitely a bonus. The water temperature in the shower took a bit of adjusting to avoid it being too hot or cold, but otherwise, we thought the room was great. Yes, you can hear people in the hallways, but I have yet to be at a hotel of any kind where that isn't the case. I don't see it as a major issue, but we didn't have any rowdy crowds at the resort either. I found the bed quite comfortable and it was great to open the window to hear the rain falling down in the early morning hours. My husband took a very quick dip in the lake in the morning. With the fog drifting over the lake and mountains in the morning, it was just beautiful.

There was a wedding going on while we were there, but you'd never know it; they were extremely quiet (which I actually thought was a little strange for a reception!). We spent the afternoon taking the 5-mile hike around the lake and just enjoying the peacefulness of Vermont. I had hoped to use the canoes/kayaks, but they didn't appear to be open during this time of year, but the hike worked out well for us.

We had dinner at the Inn. The menu was prix fixe but had several choices available. I had the prime rib, which was quite good, although it could have used the "au jus" that generally goes with it. My husband had the salmon and said it was delicious. We had a late seating, so there were only a handful of groups in the restaurant. The room was fine, in my opinion; we were seated by the windows overlooking the lake and there was lovely music playing softly (i.e., Frank Sinatra era music, perfect for dining). I had hoped the fire would be going given we were chilled from our walk. There were some guys there who were quite loud - golfers who had obviously had a few too many, but thankfully they left shortly after we arrived. We were worried about the dress code since my husband forgot his dress pants and only had jeans (nice ones though), but they were fine with that. I do agree with a reviewer who commented on that though. I think if a resort (any resort, not just this one) states that there is a dress code, it should be enforced. Sometimes it's nice to dress up and go out for a nice dinner without folks sitting there in baseball caps and shorts.

After dinner, we went upstairs to the lounge to hear the live band and have a couple drinks. The band was fabulous! Don't know their names, but they were quite good and had what appeared to be locals dancing the entire night. It was the perfect way to end our day.

After checkout, we had breakfast at the Fairlee Diner - highly recommend this place! Great old diner atmosphere, large plates of good food. Just remember, breakfast ends at 11! We almost had to leave since we got there just at 11. Also, cash only! We took a little drive to Bradford and found a lovely pottery shop (Bruce Pottery), went to the town center, and then headed back home.

The weekend was just what we needed - a relaxing time away to reconnect as a couple and the Lake Morey Inn was the perfect place to do that. I would recommend it for couples, families, anyone who enjoys the outdoors and a quaint, relaxing atmosphere. We hope to go back again in the future and take advantage of the spa and other amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I am glad you had such a wonderful stay. So you remember the carpet on the walls? Well, as I write this note, I find myself staring at the carpet on the ceiling of my office. My Grandfather found such a deal on carpet back in the 80's, he decided to carpet everything- walls, ceilings, and floors. It was certainly unique to say the least- until the fire inspector had a chat with my Grandfather. Not soon after it was taken down.
Thank you for taking the time discussing your experience, and hope to see you again in the future.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding and at the conclusion of our stay, we both agreed that it was likely the worst “resort” we’ve ever stayed at. Dictionary.com defines a resort as “a place to which people frequently or generally go for relaxation or pleasure, especially one providing rest and recreation facilities for vacationers” Trust and believe me when I say that this is not a place to go for relaxation or pleasure.

For starters, when we arrived at the resort we were amongst the presence of every tweenager in the states of Vermont and New Hampshire. The “resort” was hosting a cross-country team for the weekend at the expensive of the other guests staying at the resort. The tweenagers were escorted by teachers and chaperones that could care less about the behavior of the tweens. Each night, morning, and throughout the course of the day, this group ran the hallways and screamed everywhere they went. The hotel did nothing to control the behavior of the group beyond posting a “no running” sign (which was ultimately ripped down by someone). The resort was not adequately staffed to accommodate for a resort full of tweens and the other guests, so ultimately it was those who came for the relaxation that suffered. In other words, the resort is poorly ran. There was no extra staff or "security" to handle the out of control behavior of the group. The resort is in less than average shape, but could likely be dramatically improved by not being cheap and shelling out $200.00 for a good power washing of the exterior and removal of all the warped wood.

The rooms themselves aren’t awful. You don’t get anything beyond what you’d find at a Best Western off the interstate (not to belittle Best Western) except for some Gilchrist and Soams shampoo/conditioner. For the cost and in the New England area at a resort, it’s a huge let down. We had a cramped room with two double beds (we would have preferred one king bed) and the bed was so close to the wall that you couldn’t stand up and walk without hitting the wall.

The food also left much to be desired. We gave up on over priced breakfast at the resort and found this gem of a place called the Fairlee Diner about 2 miles down the road with much more affordable prices and better food (super fresh too). Speaking of price, the cost of the rooms for what you get is irrational. Overall, a complete let down and I would suggest that they reconsider calling themselves a resort. A golf course on-site and room with a billiards table (that the tweens stayed in) doesn’t make you a resort. One star on a good day and I’d STRONGLY recommend looking elsewhere if in the area and they can count on us never staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
4 Thank goldarch
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I have read your review and can certainly understand your frustrations.

Just to be exact, the tweenagers were escorted by their parents. I can assure you much was done with the purpose of trying to control their behavior. Though we are not their parents, we did have many staff members on duty trying our best to keep their behavior under control; which proved to be a daunting task to say the least.

I will address your other comments to the appropriate departments.

Agawam, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A great place to get away if you really want to get away from it all. Apparently great golfing from people I spoke to, although I am not a golfer. Nothing else around there to do but totally relax. Accomodations were slightly dated, kind of reminded me also of the Dirty Dancing movie. Don't think I would go there again but I'm glad I tried it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Barbara,

Thanks for the feedback and glad you were able to relax.

Mark Avery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!