“Oh what a night!”
Review of Marble Mansion Inn

Marble Mansion Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Fair Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2013

On the wall of the sunroom of the inn an artist had stenciled the phrase, to the effect of "enter as strangers, leave as friends." The quote shows up at a lot of different establishments. Here, it is true. David gave us a grand tour of the most beautiful B&B at which we have ever overnighted. His wife Sharon is a marvelous cook, and we had an amazing edible send-off. We are bikers, so a week this year and a week last year we were staying in B&Bs. This one is by far our favorite. Go and let them treat you royally. There isn't a lot to do in Fair Haven. But in the summer, visit the marble quarry in Dorset and sun on the rocks & jump into the freshwater stream...or visit the first golf course in the country. Go to North Hero and walk the causeway. Or simply sit in the park across from the Marble Mansion. This place is a real find!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room, if it's available, with a view of the park.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Marble Mansion Inn

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Marble Mansion Inn on June 22-23 for a one night stay! All I have to say is that the wonderful staff treated us like we were family spending the night. They catered to our every need!

Clean and beautifully decorated rooms! The most comfortable pillow top beds I have laid on in years! A quiet porch and backyard hammock for the kids to relax and hang out on! Delicious breakfast the next morning-egg soufflé (a must have), sausage and much more! A warm and inviting atmosphere that we just didn't want to leave!
Thank you Marble Mansion Inn Staff for making our stay a True home away from home!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I have a very nice stay at the Marble Mansion Inn. We didn't spend much time at the Inn its self due to being at a wedding but the time that we did spend there we felt right at home. The bed was very comfy and the breakfast was delicious. I even left something behind and within 2 days I had it back! Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Marble Mansion Inn is a true treasure tucked inside the quaint town of Fair Haven, VT. Sharon and Greg welcomed us the moment we walked into their lovely Bed & Breakfast and made us immediately feel right at home. Each of the rooms at the mansion are incredibly cozy and so inviting.
We stayed at the Marble Mansion Inn while visiting our son and his family who live nearby. Sharon and Greg graciously allowed us to extend an invitation to our family to join us for a lavish breakfast in their beautiful sun-room. We so appreciated their wonderful hospitality and friendliness.
Sharon is superb in the kitchen creating the most delectable and delicious breakfasts! Everything made by her hands is simply scrumptious.
Thank you, Sharon and Greg, for treating us along with our family with such warmth and for helping to make our stay with you so wonderful and memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautifully furnished and decorated William Shakespeare guestroom complete with a m...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

An absolutely charming inn and an equally as charming innkeeper! I stayed here over Easter weekend with my partner and my mom while we were working on a summer home that we recently purchased nearby. The inn is a wonderful historical treasure with intricate crown moldings, beautifully carved fireplaces, and antique parquet floors - they don't make them like this anymore folks! The ample guestrooms were beautifully appointed with down pillows and luxurious bed linens. You almost need a ladder to get into bed - they are that high. We had three breakfasts at the Marble Mansion, each better than the last. Egg soufflé, homemade orange scones, and a cinnamon bun dish that I am still dreaming about. The food was simply outstanding, you will not believe it. Lastly, and probably most importantly, Sharon and Theresa were the perfect hosts. Personable, knowledgeable, and just downright friendly people. Sharon knows everything there is to know about the history of the inn, so if you are a history buff like we are you will love listening to her stories about it. Simply stated, it was a perfect Easter weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Me and my husband wanted a romantic get away and this was that. It is amazing that the entire face of the mansion is actually Marble. The Tea Time was awesome and you have to request it. The breakfast was so good!!! The hosts where great to talk to and the other guest were such a delight as well. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is that the Inn needs some work, minor jobs, like painting the porch and touching up the rooms, but it was still beautiful and clean. The price is right. The fireplace was so nice as well, romantic and warm for a freezing winter weekend. (Also, I highly recommend going to the Greek restaurant down the street for dinner.)

Room Tip: I recommend a room with a working fireplace. Some rooms do not have TV's, which I liked, but...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I chose the Marble Mansion Inn based on the following:

1) location - 15-20 minute drive from where we needed to go

2) amenities - cable tv, fireplace, private bathroom;

3) charm - wanted it to be romantic, as I was going with my boyfriend;

4) breakfast - all the reviews said it was a wonderful breakfast; and

5) price - it was much less costly than similar offerings in the area.

The inn did not disappoint in any way. It was a really wonderful stay. I really liked the room. It was so well-appointed, with every detail thought of: Everything was in excellent condition. The bed was very comfortable and clean. Beautiful linens, fluffy comfortable blankets and pillows. Loads of pillows! the bathroom contained a shower stall, not a tub, which was absolutely fine with us. I was struck by the thoughtfulness and care paid to every aspect: there was a small space heater in the bathroom, to keep even the bathroom a cozy temperature in the winter.

The fireplace was such a charming feature. We bought the optional duraflame logs, and had a fire going each night. We loved it.

Breakfasts lived up to the reviews. Again, there was such thoughtfulness there. Such generous variety with the offerings: range of teas, croissants, bagels, popover, 3 kinds of berries, 5-6 different kinds of cereals, 2-3 kinds of juices, yogurt . . . AND individual egg souffles, with sausage on the side. Absolutely wonderful. In my opinion, the thoughtfulness went above and beyond what was required - styrofoam cups were also provided, in case you wanted to take a cup of coffee or tea "to-go" once breakfast was over. Details like that really show such care, attention, and generosity.

And that was just the first day. Second day - baked french toast! crunchy caramelized top, covered with chopped walnuts or pecans, in addition to all the fruits, berries, juices, bagels, etc. Second day, we had sausage links.

Wish we had had the opportunity to enjoy the afternoon tea, but our schedule did not permit it.

Second day, before we left, the owner/caretaker gave us a tour of the mansion. We really enjoyed that. It is such an interesting mansion, both in terms of history, and architectural detail. We loved seeing all the rooms, the beautiful trimwork and such, the decor.

I don't know how to drive, and my boyfriend had to do all the driving, 4 hours, both ways. Because of the driving burden on him, I wanted to treat him to a really nice place to stay. A place that would be a real treat. The Marble Mansion Inn really fit the bill. I was so happy to treat him to such a wonderful place. He liked it as much as I did! : )

We would definitely return. And next time, I hope we can enjoy the afternoon tea as well!

p.s. Some previous reviewer mentioned that there were a lot of animals on the premises - birds, dogs and cats, and that the placed smelled like animals. I swear - there was no smell of animals. There was a cage of pretty birds in the front room, one really calm small dog, and two cats . . . and I loved that. We love animals, and love seeing animals around. It makes a place homey. The mansion was very clean, and there was no smell of animals.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fair Haven
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Mendon Mountainview Lodge

Been to Marble Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!