I chose the Marble Mansion Inn based on the following:
1) location - 15-20 minute drive from where we needed to go
2) amenities - cable tv, fireplace, private bathroom;
3) charm - wanted it to be romantic, as I was going with my boyfriend;
4) breakfast - all the reviews said it was a wonderful breakfast; and
5) price - it was much less costly than similar offerings in the area.
The inn did not disappoint in any way. It was a really wonderful stay. I really liked the room. It was so well-appointed, with every detail thought of: Everything was in excellent condition. The bed was very comfortable and clean. Beautiful linens, fluffy comfortable blankets and pillows. Loads of pillows! the bathroom contained a shower stall, not a tub, which was absolutely fine with us. I was struck by the thoughtfulness and care paid to every aspect: there was a small space heater in the bathroom, to keep even the bathroom a cozy temperature in the winter.
The fireplace was such a charming feature. We bought the optional duraflame logs, and had a fire going each night. We loved it.
Breakfasts lived up to the reviews. Again, there was such thoughtfulness there. Such generous variety with the offerings: range of teas, croissants, bagels, popover, 3 kinds of berries, 5-6 different kinds of cereals, 2-3 kinds of juices, yogurt . . . AND individual egg souffles, with sausage on the side. Absolutely wonderful. In my opinion, the thoughtfulness went above and beyond what was required - styrofoam cups were also provided, in case you wanted to take a cup of coffee or tea "to-go" once breakfast was over. Details like that really show such care, attention, and generosity.
And that was just the first day. Second day - baked french toast! crunchy caramelized top, covered with chopped walnuts or pecans, in addition to all the fruits, berries, juices, bagels, etc. Second day, we had sausage links.
Wish we had had the opportunity to enjoy the afternoon tea, but our schedule did not permit it.
Second day, before we left, the owner/caretaker gave us a tour of the mansion. We really enjoyed that. It is such an interesting mansion, both in terms of history, and architectural detail. We loved seeing all the rooms, the beautiful trimwork and such, the decor.
I don't know how to drive, and my boyfriend had to do all the driving, 4 hours, both ways. Because of the driving burden on him, I wanted to treat him to a really nice place to stay. A place that would be a real treat. The Marble Mansion Inn really fit the bill. I was so happy to treat him to such a wonderful place. He liked it as much as I did! : )
We would definitely return. And next time, I hope we can enjoy the afternoon tea as well!
p.s. Some previous reviewer mentioned that there were a lot of animals on the premises - birds, dogs and cats, and that the placed smelled like animals. I swear - there was no smell of animals. There was a cage of pretty birds in the front room, one really calm small dog, and two cats . . . and I loved that. We love animals, and love seeing animals around. It makes a place homey. The mansion was very clean, and there was no smell of animals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience historic elegance in this circa 1867 French Second Empire Vermont Bed & Breakfast on the village green in Fair Haven, Vermont. You are invited to come enjoy and unwind in the opulence of a 19th century marble mansion and marvel at twelve foot high ceilings decorated with intricate Georgian style plaster crown moldings & ceiling medallions, and the twin marble fireplaces in the double-parlor with gleaming herringbone pattern wood floors and crystal chandeliers. In the morning, dine like royalty with our gourmet buffet breakfast served on antique Havilland china from Limoge, France and Lunt sterling silver. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Marble Mansion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marble Mansion Hotel Fair Haven