“A very lovely stay”

1) location - 15-20 minute drive from where we needed to go

2) amenities - cable tv, fireplace, private bathroom;

3) charm - wanted it to be romantic, as I was going with my boyfriend;

4) breakfast - all the reviews said it was a wonderful breakfast; and

5) price - it was much less costly than similar offerings in the area.

The inn did not disappoint in any way. It was a really wonderful stay. I really liked the room. It was so well-appointed, with every detail thought of: Everything was in excellent condition. The bed was very comfortable and clean. Beautiful linens, fluffy comfortable blankets and pillows. Loads of pillows! the bathroom contained a shower stall, not a tub, which was absolutely fine with us. I was struck by the thoughtfulness and care paid to every aspect: there was a small space heater in the bathroom, to keep even the bathroom a cozy temperature in the winter.

The fireplace was such a charming feature. We bought the optional duraflame logs, and had a fire going each night. We loved it.

Breakfasts lived up to the reviews. Again, there was such thoughtfulness there. Such generous variety with the offerings: range of teas, croissants, bagels, popover, 3 kinds of berries, 5-6 different kinds of cereals, 2-3 kinds of juices, yogurt . . . AND individual egg souffles, with sausage on the side. Absolutely wonderful. In my opinion, the thoughtfulness went above and beyond what was required - styrofoam cups were also provided, in case you wanted to take a cup of coffee or tea "to-go" once breakfast was over. Details like that really show such care, attention, and generosity.

And that was just the first day. Second day - baked french toast! crunchy caramelized top, covered with chopped walnuts or pecans, in addition to all the fruits, berries, juices, bagels, etc. Second day, we had sausage links.

Wish we had had the opportunity to enjoy the afternoon tea, but our schedule did not permit it.

Second day, before we left, the owner/caretaker gave us a tour of the mansion. We really enjoyed that. It is such an interesting mansion, both in terms of history, and architectural detail. We loved seeing all the rooms, the beautiful trimwork and such, the decor.

I don't know how to drive, and my boyfriend had to do all the driving, 4 hours, both ways. Because of the driving burden on him, I wanted to treat him to a really nice place to stay. A place that would be a real treat. The Marble Mansion Inn really fit the bill. I was so happy to treat him to such a wonderful place. He liked it as much as I did! : )

We would definitely return. And next time, I hope we can enjoy the afternoon tea as well!

p.s. Some previous reviewer mentioned that there were a lot of animals on the premises - birds, dogs and cats, and that the placed smelled like animals. I swear - there was no smell of animals. There was a cage of pretty birds in the front room, one really calm small dog, and two cats . . . and I loved that. We love animals, and love seeing animals around. It makes a place homey. The mansion was very clean, and there was no smell of animals.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had business in Fair Haven ,Vt. 1-20-21,2013. My friend and I were the only visitors this night.We were given a tour of the mansion (which is beautiful) at our registration.Our room was spacious but warm and homey.The queen bed was well appointed and very comfortable .

Our breakfast was elegant.The sun room dining table was set with lovely china and glassware reflective of the season.The white linens were a sparkling backdrop to the lovely silver serving pieces and flatware.
Our individual cheese and ham omelets were served in individual ramekins-piping hot.The fresh popovers were light, airy and warm;served up with a choice of fresh berries,cream cheese,jams and yogurts.Coffee ,tea and juices were plentiful and fresh,fresh,fresh.

Yes-fresh is the best word to describe our experience.The host Greg and his wife Sharon Hostess are bright,cheerful as well as knowledgable about the area..The house is within 30 min. of skiing and alot more value for the money than a motel at the ski areas.In summer a horse ranch has rodeos every week not more than 20 minutes away.

I would recommend Marble Mansion to my friends as well as return again.

Room Tip: One room has no TV which is a good option for a reader. A ground floor room is suitable for disable...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is an interesting building and we had a nice visit. You must love animals though, because there are cats, dogs and birds on the premises and there is a bit of an odor. They quoted me a price via email then told me later that the price was actually higher. I was surprised they didn’t honor their quote, and then when I booked, it was another $10 higher. Very odd. Our bathroom was tight... small shower stall and small toilet in a narrow corridor. The afternoon tea and morning breakfast were lovely and delicious.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Marble Mansion Inn. It had the elegance and taste of a byegone era, very appropriate to the Mansion itself! The decor and scattered books were very tasteful. The beds were absolutely beyond comfortable. It was clean and comfortable.
The breakfast was superb and the hostess very friendly and accomodating to what you wish to have.
I would love to return--it was wonderful!

Room Tip: Some have cable TV and some do not. Choices in bed sizes.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Had to write and add to the wonderful and well deserved reviews the Marble Mansion B&B has received. My husband (dog!) and I have been to the inn 3 times and plan to return as we have family in the area. Sharon and Greg are incredible hosts, the home is fabulous and immaculate. Kudos to the owners for keeping this historic, beautiful home in the shape it is. Breakfast is yummy - always an array of staples (cereals, waffle batter, berries, bagels, juice....) and, a surprise hot, fresh egg dish. Great way to start the day. Stay there - you won't be disappointed! (Beds and pillows comfy too!)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SueClarkstown_NY
Reviewed September 6, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay! Greg and Sharon were kind and helpful. The breakfast was delicious, they accommodated all of our dietary needs. Their tips on where to eat, etc. where perfect. The shower was amazing, one of the best we have used! We will be back to visit this lovely home, couple and town.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I were travelling to Rutland on business and decided to stay at the Marble Mansion Inn. What a pleasant surprise awaited us. The mansion is absolutely beautiful. Once inside it takes you back to another era where you can only imagine ladies in lovely long dresses sipping lemonade on the beautiful veranda.

The Mansion has a charm of it's own with 20 foot ceilings, tapistry runners on the staircases, hardwood flooring that has been gracefully cared for over the years, white marble fireplaces, not to mention the outside of the manse is white marble.

We stayed on the third floor and the room was immaculate, right room temperature, windows that opened (important to us as we like the fresh air), bed was very comfortable, pillows were fluffy and awaiting us after a long day of driving.

We had tea in the breakfast room at 4:00pm which was very lovely, beautiful china, well presented and homemade goodies by the owners.

Sharon and Gregg were extremely accommodating, they gave us a tour, recommended a great restaurant for dinner and were attentive to all our needs.

The breakfast was very special, with homemade souffles, sausages, fresh berries and fruit, lots of juice and coffee, bagels, cereal, yoghurt, everything you could imagine to start off our day.
It was not your typical B&B were you were served, this was buffet style and the food was non stop.

We left having met two new friends, we will be back everytime we have to go to Rutland or anywhere else in Vermont. We would highly recommend this property and cannot wait to visit again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street were very quiet it is really in a great location for all sides.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Veronica049

Been to Marble Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!