“Fit the bill for a family weekend”

Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here to attend the Champlain Fair on Labour Day weekend. I liked the affordable rate for a busy weekend. I liked having breakfast in our own kitchen area. It beats the free breakfasts at hotels where you have to jockey for a place to sit down and is full of very young kids. The hallway was overheated and did have a weird smell, but the room was fine. The bathroom was not fancy but had been redone and the exhaust worked well, which is rare even for more expensive hotels I've stayed in recently. The bed was not a pillow-top, but clean. The bedroom was in its own room. I enjoyed the amount of space we got. My daughter liked the slide at the indoor pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

We appreciate your staying with us and your comments. We have recently begun installing the new furnishings, and albeit that sofabeds have a reputation for uncomfortable, the new ones are better! We are also looking forward to King sized beds soon! Bring the family back, we hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I originally gave this place 4 stars on another website but I'm downgrading it to 3 hear. While the suite a great size for families, the pull out bed was incredibly uncomfortable. My kids can normally sleep on anything but this was terrible for them They ended up sleeping with my wife and I slept on the sofa. It was more comfortable closed than open.

The place is dated but we pretty used the place just to sleep and shower. We didn't stay there to hang out. The hallway does have a musty smell but the rooms don't. They seemed clean and there were no unwanted critters roaming around. Handy Suites is in a decent area. Go to the bagel shop across the street since the breakfast at Handy Suites is lacking.

The highlight for the kids was the pool. There's a great slide that the kids just loved (me too).

Also, there's a small laundry facility in the building which came in handy at Handy Suites.

The place wasn't horrible. In fact, if we go back to the same area in Vermont we may stay here again. It's not luxury but it's good for a short stay, just don't sleep on the pull out bed.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are in the process of updating all of our furniture and carpeting, as we are about to celebrate our 10th anniversary in July! The hallways do tend to have a cooking odor as all of our suites are equipped with full kitchens. People take advantage of that to save money from eating out, so sometimes you can smell bacon & eggs or dinner. Our new sofabeds are more comfortable, but they still are sofabeds. I think everyone agrees, they aren't as comfortable as a "real" bed. Pool slide is the BEST! I'm glad even you had a chance to try it out. We do so hope that you will visit again.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel was ok. The rooms are actually suites, with a kitchen / living room separate from the bedroom. The worst part was the smell. The elevators smell like ashtrays and the halls and rooms have an unpleasant musty odor. There aren't any restaurants or stores in walking distance. The manager, Christina, was fantastic, though, very helpful and fun to talk to :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your input, every response is important to us. Because we do have a smoking floor, occasionally the odor will remain in the elevator. We do try to keep the elevator deodorized, but our front desk or housekeeping staff will respond immediately. And actually, there are five restaurants within walking distance & a Rite Aid that sells immediate needs like milk & bread, also a full grocery store that is only a mile away. We hope that you will visit again & we will direct you to all those places.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We went to the handy suites hotel for the weekend. We were expecting much more than what we actually experienced. Here is a list of things that were unsatisfactory:
- door did not lock properly
- everything was sticky; the floors, the phone, the table, the chairs, etc.
- the comforter had holes in it
- the room had a full kitchen with NO utensils available, and the utensils that were there were chipped and broken.
- the couch and lounge chair were ripped, dirty, sticky, worn out and ripped,
- the windows and tracks were full of dirt and bugs

we were not happy with our stay, but the staff were very nice to us. they tried to make the stay as "welcoming" as possible and we appreciated what they went through to help although it was not enough for us to ever consider going back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your input on your stay. I am so sorry that your experience was far less than positive. Most of our guests report very Clean rooms and I again apologize that yours was not. We try to inform guests at check-in that should they need ANYTHING to please call the front desk. We certainly would have either fixed any problems or relocated you to another room. Although you said that you will not be back, we would truly appreciate another opportunity to show you a better experience.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights recently at the tail end of our vacation. While the rooms are older, they are spacious and clean efficiency's more reminiscent of an apartment than a hotel room. (We stayed in a queen suite.) The staff were very helpful and friendly providing us with directions to an excellent nearby Turkish restaurant. Upon request they will let pets stay in certain of the rooms, something you may want to check into if you want to bring your dog, or are sensitive to dogs. We will stay there again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Upon request they will let pets stay in certain of the rooms, something you may want to check into i...
1  Thank Mike237
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The first thing I do want to comment on about this hotel is the staff - incredibly friendly and personable, and always available to help. The owner (I presume) or manager lives in an apartment on-premises. The suite setup was nice, but did mean that the A/C was just in one room. When I expressed concern she offered a fan for us and it was up before I was done opening my suitcase, and that did the trick. The place was impeccably clean, with granite countertops (real) in bath and kitchen. One burner smoked a little and I would have liked a BIT more cooking ware, but I suspect had I asked they would have provided it (as they did a bottle opener for our wine). Like some rooms, ours had a very old sleeper sofa - clean, but old - that was wickedly uncomfortable, but I also saw they were actively swapping those out of rooms and some had far newer ones. The closet was bigger than rooms I've stayed in in Manhattan! Our son LOVED the pool. It's got a killer waterslide and he had a blast. I too could smell smoke in some places, and though I could hear some noises, it was no more loud than any other place I've been. It was generally quiet, and there was nothing "gross" about our place. You couldn't beat the value for a suite, and my three year old loved having his "bed" and entire living room to himself at night. We will definitely return, and I encourage anyone unhappy with something in their room to speak up - my experience tells me they will do their best to help.

Room Tip: If you need to use the sleeper sofa, ASK if it is a newer one or an older one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've never stayed at a worse hotel. It feels like I walked into someone's old, partied in apartment. The couches and bed are pretty worn in, so much that they look dirty and I don't want to sit in them. I need to work on my laptop and the website said they have free wireless. When I called the front desk, they said there's only free wireless internet if you sit in the front lobby. They can give you an ethernet cord for your laptop. The lock on my door is broken. Bathroom is ok but the towels are ratty and home towels, not hotel quality. My initial room wasn't "ready" so I had to wait for the manager to check several other rooms and they put me in one of those.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Quality Inn Colchester / Burlington

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area? Share your experiences!