“Very nice experience all around”

Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Essex
philadelphia
“Very nice experience all around”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is not the fanciest of hotels but it is very good where it counts - customer service, cleanliness and price. Perhaps the decor is a little dated but if you're looking for a decent place to stay at a low cost, this fits the bill. In particular, we liked that they allow dogs with a refundable deposit.

The front desk staff are extremely friendly and helpful. We arrived very early (9:30am) for our check in and, understandably, there were no rooms ready. But we told the woman at the front desk that we would go get some breakfast and she said she would call us as soon as rooms became available (we were traveling with another couple so we had two rooms booked). Within an hour she called us and said that she had asked the housekeeping staff to turn around two rooms as quickly as possible, and they did! So we got to check in early, which was great.

The rooms are very spacious - actually bigger than my first apartment! Our room had a full size eat-in kitchen with dishes and utensils and a full-sized fridge and dishwasher. It had a nice little "living room" area with a sofa bed and tv, and a separate bedroom also with a tv. The bathroom was large and clean. The bed was comfortable as well

We were there with our dog and at check out the front desk person went back to the room with us to do a quick check and our deposit was returned to us in full. Everyone was really nice and accommodating.

There is also a nice sitting area in the lobby and coffee and donuts and fruit in the morning. It's not the Four Seasons but overall we would say that, for the price, the Handy Suites are a perfectly fine place to stay and we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jennifer l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Worcester. MA
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Handy Suites actually has real suites--separate rooms with doors, not just oversize rooms, and plenty of closet space as well as full kitchens with utensils and cooking equipment. The staff--well, when we checked in, they asked if we needed a luggage cart--when there was a minor glitch, like door the magnetic doors keys needing to be reset--they said, next time you return, ask one of us to go up with you to make sure you can get in the first time.In short, the staff did everything possible to help the guests.
Not a five because the rooms aren't totally soundproofed, but I've been anywhere where the rooms were.
We plan to stay there every time we go to the Burlington area.

PS They have a sister property--Handy Suites Extended Stay, so check them both out if you're planning a trip to the area.
Hints, bring your own napkins if you plan to cook or eat in, and of course condiments--no one expects the hotel to provide salt, pepper, mustard, sauces etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We found Handy Suites to be great value and extremely friendly service. The manager went out of her way to be helpful during two stays / same week. We were a group of three couples and all found the accommodations very impressive. One couple had bad luck with noise from the room above, but overall it was a positive experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The evening manager was very nice and helpful when we arrived and was more than willing to direct us to a nice place to eat in the area. The check in and check out went smoothly. Our two night stay was pleasant for the most part, but the room did have its drawbacks. Unfortunately, I thought I booked a non-smoking room, but their records showed other wise and they couldn't accommodate any room change do to the events in the area. Anyway, the maintenance crew really need to do a better job in paying attention to details such as "dents" / holes in the walls, burn holes in the carpeting and thick dust in the exhaust vent of the bathroom. Unfortunately, you can't monitor all of your patrons at every minute of the day when using a room, but care should be taken by the staff, to ensure that when the next customer comes and stays at the facility, they have an enjoyable stay without wondering what else the staff may have missed or not done. Also, these are efficiencys and the size of the rooms are nice for the price, but the staff neglected to check and empty the dishwasher before we arrived and we didn't realize this until the last night we were there. We just thought we needed to supply our own utensils for the kitchenette. There was no indication that we should be checking for items in the dishwasher. Again, details such as this would be helpful and would make the stay more pleasant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family stayed here for 3 nights while in Burlington for a family reunion. We ended up only being at the hotel from 10 pm to 10 am on the days we were there. We didn't use the pool or try the breakfast. Check in and check out was quick and easy. The suite was large, clean, and comfortable. I did forget to bring my own cable for the wifi, but someone from the front desk brought one up to us. While the lobby is air conditioned the hallways on second floor were not and had a hot musty feel/smell, but once we stepped into a room everything was fine. The location was very convenient and at $82.82 (tax included) per night over the Fourth of July holiday, I think this was a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I've stayed in quite a few hotels/motels and this has been my worst stay. Girl at reception was not receptive, we felt like we were disturbing her. Tried to use wi-fi in lobby which she said would work only in lobby with password but that didn't work and there was no attempt to help. We weren't even greater upon arrival. It was so hot hot in the hallways. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. Air conditioning only in the living room part of the room so quite hot in the sleeping arena. She chairs at the table looked so dirty I wouldn't sit on them. So overall for the price it wasn't worth it

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed May 27, 2012

So yes, the two star rating is very accurate about this property. It is worn and outdated, the hallways had no air conditioning on, there is no wi-fi. It is your very basic hotel room for a good nights rest. I didn't appreciate the hollering from what I can presume to be obnoxious drunk men from the balcony, but that can't be the hotels fault.

The very first night I was there the internet would not allow me to open more than two pages. I couldn't check my email, couldn't do a thing. I had to drive about 15 minutes to the nearest Starbucks the next day and get some things accomplished. The second night, it started working thankfully as I had things to plan for my next stop. They will provide you with an internet cable for a $10 deposit. No need to bring your own unless you feel so inclined.

I gave this property a generous "3" because the room was so large. It was nice to have a kitchen, sink, microwave, dining table, and all of the rest in room. I was pleasantly surprised by this when I arrived.

It is within close proximity to the major highway and "good eating" is about 15 minutes or so away. No fast food or quick bites anywhere around. 1 or 2 mom and pop places nearby but they closed super early on the weeknights I was there.

One staff member was friendly, while the other seemed to always look at me crooked. I don't know what the deal was with that.

If you are a motorcyclist, BEWARE. I saw one biker flat on his back on day one, nailed by someone and the following day I witnessed another get completely taken out by an SUV at the intersection right next to the hotel.

Bottom line: It will do the job, but take the two stars for what it's worth.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Fairfield Inn Burlington Williston

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area? Share your experiences!