“Good Value, met my expectations”

Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Bellingham, Washington
“Good Value, met my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family stayed here for 3 nights while in Burlington for a family reunion. We ended up only being at the hotel from 10 pm to 10 am on the days we were there. We didn't use the pool or try the breakfast. Check in and check out was quick and easy. The suite was large, clean, and comfortable. I did forget to bring my own cable for the wifi, but someone from the front desk brought one up to us. While the lobby is air conditioned the hallways on second floor were not and had a hot musty feel/smell, but once we stepped into a room everything was fine. The location was very convenient and at $82.82 (tax included) per night over the Fourth of July holiday, I think this was a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I've stayed in quite a few hotels/motels and this has been my worst stay. Girl at reception was not receptive, we felt like we were disturbing her. Tried to use wi-fi in lobby which she said would work only in lobby with password but that didn't work and there was no attempt to help. We weren't even greater upon arrival. It was so hot hot in the hallways. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. Air conditioning only in the living room part of the room so quite hot in the sleeping arena. She chairs at the table looked so dirty I wouldn't sit on them. So overall for the price it wasn't worth it

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

So yes, the two star rating is very accurate about this property. It is worn and outdated, the hallways had no air conditioning on, there is no wi-fi. It is your very basic hotel room for a good nights rest. I didn't appreciate the hollering from what I can presume to be obnoxious drunk men from the balcony, but that can't be the hotels fault.

The very first night I was there the internet would not allow me to open more than two pages. I couldn't check my email, couldn't do a thing. I had to drive about 15 minutes to the nearest Starbucks the next day and get some things accomplished. The second night, it started working thankfully as I had things to plan for my next stop. They will provide you with an internet cable for a $10 deposit. No need to bring your own unless you feel so inclined.

I gave this property a generous "3" because the room was so large. It was nice to have a kitchen, sink, microwave, dining table, and all of the rest in room. I was pleasantly surprised by this when I arrived.

It is within close proximity to the major highway and "good eating" is about 15 minutes or so away. No fast food or quick bites anywhere around. 1 or 2 mom and pop places nearby but they closed super early on the weeknights I was there.

One staff member was friendly, while the other seemed to always look at me crooked. I don't know what the deal was with that.

If you are a motorcyclist, BEWARE. I saw one biker flat on his back on day one, nailed by someone and the following day I witnessed another get completely taken out by an SUV at the intersection right next to the hotel.

Bottom line: It will do the job, but take the two stars for what it's worth.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

My general experience is that the quality of a stay at any hotel starts at the reception desk. At 'Handy Suites', we were treated very well by friendly and courteous staff. The rooms are very large, in comparison with many other hotels, and couple easily have accommodated a large family in comfort. The location is a short ride from the attractions offered by downtown Burlington, but in the evening provides a quiet haven. Breakfast was basic, but provided the necessary caffeine kick for the next part of the journey.

Room Tip: Don't know if there is anything that would constitute a 'poor' room at this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilokid
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We spent 2 nights and we are very satisfied, moreover that the price was pretty fair! The lady at the front desk (Christina) was very friendly and nice to us. We were surprised by the size of the suite, huge room, fully equiped kitchen, dining and living. It was also very clean (we always inspect bed, coach and bathroom). Ok, not ultimate designer furniture, but well maintained.
Easy acces to the pool with extra towells, basic breakfast. Easy to find place.
We will not hesitate to choose this place again when returning in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We got a really nice and big room. We just stayed one night. It is close to the bus stop and a bus away from the Amtrak station.

It is very cheap.

Room Tip: None. We just stayed for a night.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

We've liked the place. Two rooms, kitchenette, even 2 TVs. In outskirts of Burlington, 10 mins driving. Clean, friendly, quite. Will gladly stay again.
If anything needs to be improved:
- Too warm and stuffy in the hallway;
- Swimming pool in the morning is used for classes;
- Stale English muffins at breakfast, 5 days outdated.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 11 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 11 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#6 of 11 in South Burlington

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area? Share your experiences!