“What a menu!”

The Tavern
Ranked #6 of 70 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the best of pub fare served in a casual setting. The Tavern at The Essex features an expanded bar area along with seasonal patio seating adjacent to the East Lawn and the Resort's vegetable and herb gardens, providing diners with a more secluded al fresco experience.The menu is inspired by the finest local ingredients, sourced from Burlington and nearby areas. Enjoy your meal with a selection from our award-winning wine list, our extensive list of VT microbrews, or a specialty cocktail. A children’s menu is available. Seating is first-come, first-served. Dress is casual. Gluten-free options are available.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

There were so many wonderful and different choices to choose from, that we over-ordered - so that we could try many things! Everything was delicious!

EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear ChristinaK4444,

Thank you for writing this review as well as the others you have posted as a result of your stay. It is quite rewarding to hear such great positive feedback from our guests.

There are newer reviews for The Tavern

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had dinner at the Tavern on the night that we checked into our room at the Essex Resort.

After our drive to the resort, we got settled in our room and relaxed a bit while we decided what to do for dinner. We thought about going out in Burlington, but we really felt like having some cocktails, and we decided stay in so we could walk back to our room.

We were very pleased with the menu selection, and we thoroughly enjoyed our choices! We were hungry, and the food was fantastic and clearly made in house to order. The server was working a full section, but the service was attentive and the pace was just right. Our food was served hot, and the quality of the ingredients were above average.

The restaurant is clean, visually attractive and is precisely what I would call a tavern, but upscale. There is a large bar in the middle with dining tables around the perimeter. There appears to be a patio with outdoor seating, but we were there in February.

Dear Jenlevity63,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere, quality of the food and service at the Tavern. Our Culinary team does a great job using local products. In the warmer months we do have an outdoor tented patio that is within sight of our Chef's Garden. They grow many tasty ingredients right on property.

Please visit again in the spring time and relax in a hammock after your meal.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised at the menu offerings, the attentiveness of the wait staff, and the quality of the food. My wife chose a vegetarian mock duck entree, and since she requires very little oil in her diet to reverse heart disease, the chef prepared it without oil - a very professional offering. I enjoyed fish and chips and it was among the best I have had. We would go back soon to try some of the other eclectic choices.

2  Thank FJDriver
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear FJDriver,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to recognize the associates who provided great service to you. This has been shared with them as well as your mention of the quality of the food presented to you. Our Director of Culinary Operations, Shawn Calley, takes great care to purchase the freshest, highest quality ingredients from his network of purveyors. Recently, Shawn and his team were awarded the Golden Barn Honor from the VT Fresh Network for their commitment to locally sourced fresh foods.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Due to the cold in Vermont we opted for the Tavern and ate at the bar. It was a great meal and the best callimari I have ever had. Meal was excellent as well.

1  Thank dcayer
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear dcayer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for sharing your experience. Our Executive Chef, Shawn Calley does an amazing job sourcing local food as well as purchasing fresh ingredients. In the growing season he and his team cultivate herbs and vegetables from the Chef's Garden on property. When you return, he will happily show you around if you would like to see the gardens.

Thank you for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Whenever we are in the Burlington area we always stay at the Essex Resort and Spa. After a long trip it is nice to be able to go to a restaurant right in the hotel. This last stay, we went to The Tavern for dinner. We made it VERY clear to the waitress that our daughter is allergic to all nuts. When the bread arrived, we asked if there were nuts on the bread, she said yes, we asked her to remove the bread basket from the table. When we ordered our entrees, we again mentioned the nut allergy. My daughter ordered the vegetarian entree. After many bites, I noticed something on her dish that looked like cashews. YES -- it was!! The menu did not mention that cashews were in the dish and the waitress never wrote her nut allergy on the ticket. My daughter immediately took two benedryl. Luckily she did not need the epipen. The evening restaurant manager came over and instead of apologizing, she gave excuses. Besides to bring our check, no one came over again to check on how she was doing. The next day I mentioned the incident to another manager. It has now been a month. I am disappointed to have not received a follow-up from the hotel/restaurant. What would I have expected to hear? - That the restaurant has taken steps so this NEVER happens to someone else. 1) That the menu is fully labeled with all life-threatening allergens. 2) That all waitstaff have been properly trained.

2  Thank Vacationingisthebest

Dear Vacationingisthebest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again while in the Burlington area. I certainly can understand your frustrations with the dinner experience you have detailed here. I assure you this is not a typical occurrence and is certainly not acceptable. I was informed of the incident by our Restaurant General Manager, Mary Ingrisano. Mary was the manager who came to speak with you table side. She assured me that she had taken the time to ensure your child was okay as well as apologizing for the oversight and providing a complimentary meal for your daughter as a gesture of goodwill. In hind sight I agree that we should have then provided additional follow up during your stay. Mary and her team did use this unfortunate occurence as a training opportunity with her team of servers. The importance of creating awareness regarding the dangers associated with food allergies cannot but understated.

I do hope your daughter is well and hope you may consider a return visit as I am certain we can provide you with the level of service and attention to detail that you have experienced while staying with us on your previous visits.