“Just barely "Very Good"”
Review of The Tavern

The Tavern
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the best of pub fare served in a casual setting. The Tavern at The Essex features an expanded bar area along with seasonal patio seating adjacent to the East Lawn and the Resort's vegetable and herb gardens, providing diners with a more secluded al fresco experience.The menu is inspired by the finest local ingredients, sourced from Burlington and nearby areas. Enjoy your meal with a selection from our award-winning wine list, our extensive list of VT microbrews, or a specialty cocktail. A children’s menu is available. Seating is first-come, first-served. Dress is casual. Gluten-free options are available.
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have been to the Tavern several times over several years, and I believe that the overall quality of food, service, and value have declined in 2012. Examples, I had a burger for lunch that was great quality beef, properly cooked, beautifully presented, but the French fries were not served hot enough, and they were just slightly limp. Since I didn't want fries anyway I didn;t send them back to the kitchen. I had an imported beer in a chilled glass, and neither were cold enough to suit most Americans and too chilled to please most Europeans. Yes, I lived in Europe for 18 months on assignments and had to eat out almost every meal, and in many cities. The wait service was attentive, and fast, but with rough edges and not fully trained. Don't sweep around the table while people are dining. Ok, not to nit pick, the food was good, and the menu had many interesting items to consider. My advice is to look most carefully at all of the menu before ordering, and ask questions before ordering. If you have doubts, walk out and go to Stowe or South Burlington. Good luck mon ami!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Attentive service and good food made this restaurant a nice option for both lunch and dinner

Reviewed June 25, 2012

we eated ther de first mornig. food was good and large plates. but it was not indicated on the menu that coffee was not included and cost 2.00$.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is an "upscale casual" restaurant with a quiet, welcoming atmosphere and delicious food: the pefect place to meet friends for great food and drinks. I have eaten here numerous times, usually with friends, and occasionally for a quiet business meal. Once I brought a good book and enjoyed a laid-back solo lunch. If you eat on the terrace you can enjoy a view of the gardens, although I usually choose to eat inside because I love the ambiance. Come to the Tavern at the Inn for a very satisfying experience.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

eat on the terrace if you can. Overlooking the gardens

Been to The Tavern? Share your experiences!