“Fun Place, Good Food”

The Tavern
Ranked #6 of 71 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the best of pub fare served in a casual setting. The Tavern at The Essex features an expanded bar area along with seasonal patio seating adjacent to the East Lawn and the Resort's vegetable and herb gardens, providing diners with a more secluded al fresco experience.The menu is inspired by the finest local ingredients, sourced from Burlington and nearby areas. Enjoy your meal with a selection from our award-winning wine list, our extensive list of VT microbrews, or a specialty cocktail. A children’s menu is available. Seating is first-come, first-served. Dress is casual. Gluten-free options are available.
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The place was hopping on a Sunday night, with a single bartender doing a great job of keeping everyone supplied. The food was down-home, tavern-style, reasonably priced and delivered quickly. What else would you need?

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We had a great meal and the service was friendly and fast. the food was yummy - not to fancy, but good flavours and tasty. It also wasn't very expensive - the price was better than I expected based on the location.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

On our recent stay to the Essex Resort, we dined at the Tavern. We took the front desk's advice and called ahead 15 minutes prior to arriving, and there was a table ready for us right away. It is an upscale bar atmosphere with light colored wood- beautifully designed.

Our server Jenna (I believe this was her name) was great and very prompt. We ordered the Bruschetta special (goat cheese, fresh corn and spinach I think) it was delicious. I tried the Grilled Caesar salad- and it was just OK- I don't think I like the grilled taste but that's just my personal preference. Guess you don't know until you try.

My daughter ordered the Short Rib Slider (just one- she picked some of the fries off my plate) and she loved it!!! I had the Tavern Burger- DELICIOUS! The best burger I have had in a long time- the quality of the meat was amazing. My mother had the Black Bean Burger- it was a little spicy for her- but I tried a bite and it was perfect!

We finished off our meal with a slice of cheesecake, NY style with a strawberry rhubarb spread. Ohh my gosh! Fantastic!!!!!

Ohh and the drinks were great too, very impressive wine list- we will definitely be back!!!

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Went for a late lunch for a family birthday. There is nothing good about this restaurant. The service is bad, the atmosphere was non-existent with awful music played very loudly. The server was mediocre as well, bringing condiments and when they tipped over she just left them and walked away. There was no one else there and yet our meals took forever to arrive (what were they doing?). I had a fish based taco - the fish smelled and died way too long ago; it never should have been served. The burger ordered medium rare wasn't and the meat was of poor quality. The other two dishes were equally unmemorable - and the price is high. On top of this there were flies distracting us throughout the meal. Very disappointing

Reviewed November 30, 2010

From walking in the door we felt like they wanted us.
Service was excellant.
There were great choices on the menu and the food was great.
A very positive experience