“Off the beaten path - great food”
Review of Istanbul Kebab House - MOVED

Istanbul Kebab House
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Our dinner at the Kebab house was excellent. We shared an Meze platter as an appetizer. Great mix to go with the fresh made lavash bread. We also shared the Mixed Grill Kebab. The portion was more than enough for two persons. But my favorite was saved for last, the apple maple baklava. Sweet warm and gooey. Perfect ending to a great meal. Also excellent service provided by Savannah. She was pleasant and efficient.

1  Thank rs2tvw

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My first Turkish restaurant experience was a FANTASTIC one. I love the Turkish decoration and the food was fantastic. They have a couple dishes with a Vermont accent too such as the shish kabob with Cabot cheddar(they have it without the cheese too for an authentic Turkish meal) and baklava with maple syrup (wow, so good). I got the chicken Shish kabob and my wife got the chicken shish kabob with Cabot cheese. They were both awesome. Came with rice, sweet onions and pickled red cabbage. I actually preferred the one with cheese but I really love Cabot cheddar and not to take away from the traditional chicken shish kabob cuz it too was fantastic. A great place to celebrate Mother's Day, my wife really enjoyed it.

1  Thank MunktopiaJD
Reviewed May 13, 2014

...but in a good way. The restaurant is hardly in a location where one would expect to find such a pleasant surprise.

The service was excellent. Friendly, attentive, and recognized the couple with us who had just visited the week before.

The food was also excellent. Served straight from the oven, with memorable flavors, and some mild order-envy ("Oh, should I have ordered that instead?"). I had the dumplings - incredibly rich, I could have eaten twice as much, though I'm glad I didn't.

And chocolate baklava for dessert is hard to beat.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We live in the Burlington area and try to visit different restaurants. This was a delightful find! Atmosphere was great, service was super and food delicious. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Istanbul Kebab House. Our server, Savannah, was very helpful and friendly. We shared the Zucchini Fritters which were excellent as was the Ground Beef Stuffed Eggplant entree. The maple apple baklava was to die for. We would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys Turkish cuisine.