“Marvelous find in VT”

Istanbul Kebab House
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am in Burlington region frequently and enjoy searching out new restaurants. This spot is truly a gem. Every dish was fresh, tasty, and very well presented. The restaurant is relatively small but very nicely decorated and well suited for business or romance. I look forward to returning.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My friend and I were in the Essex area shopping. It got to be lunch time and we were unfamiliar with what was in the area so my friend opened up TripAdvisor and we found Istanbul Kebab House.

We LOVED it! I had swordfish kabob which was flavorful, tender and juicy.

The restaurant is very clean and well-kept, the staff super nice and the food delicious.

We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I didn't expect to find many international cuisines in north Vermont, let alone finding a Turkish restaurant. I went there for lunch and had the Iskandar. It was very decent. My colleague had the vegetarian eggplant lunch plate. He liked it except for the portion being too small.

The food took a long time to be prepared. So, you need to make sure you have plenty of time when you dine here.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Seeing that this place has lots of 4-5 star reviews, my friend and I decided to give it a try. We went there for lunch. Oh my god, it was so good. I eat out a lot so I'm not easily impressed.

My friend started out with a turkish coffee. It looks very strong. He said it was good.

Next he had the Grilled Meatball (Kofte) and I ordered Lamb Shish Kabob. Both were perfectly tender and seasoned. Lamb is also tricky. Overcook it slightly and it becomes chewy. This place knows their lamb. It was melt in your mouth good and not gamy.

For dessert, we ordered Baklava and Kunefe. I always love baklava but boy, after trying the kunefe, I think that's my all time favorite now. It was so delicious; I had to really resist licking the plate. We also had the turkish tea. Mm ... what a refined aroma. When you drink it without the sugar, it's a great complement to the dessert.

Check out their menu. You don't have to be adventurous to eat here. If this place is in Cambridge, Boston, it would be filled with diners and a long line every night. I wish I live closer and eat there every week. Go ahead, give this hidden gem a try. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

In business it's important to exceed the customer's expectations and this was truly the case. The first time we drove from Waterbury Center to eat at this restaurant, we were disappointed to find it closed, they close on Mondays.

We love this type of food and decided to give it another try, we were not disappointed. We dined there on Super Bowl Sunday and were the only patrons at that time, I guess because the game was on.

The host was gracious and the food was excellent. We had the mixed mezze platter and the lamb kebab washed down by authentic Turkish tea. We were surprised to be given hot Turkish bread, our only complaint is that we wished there were more mezze on the plate. The babaganouch was ridiculously good as was everything else on the platter.

We followed this with the lamb kebab which my wife and I shared. The lamb was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and was delicious. We were stuffed after sharing both plates, but when we were presented with the dessert menu, we just had to have the Turkish rice pudding. It brought back pleasant memories of being in Marmaris, Turkey. I would have ordered the baklava also, as I was impressed that they added a Vermont twist to it by adding apples and maple syrup, but I would surely have exploded from over eating!

The prices were a bit higher than anticipated, but everything is expensive in Vermont. We ordered from the dinner menu, but we noted lower prices on a lunch menu, prices change at 3:00pm. Being able to eat such fresh and well prepared food made it a truly memorable meal. These guys obviously take pride in the food they present. We can't wait to return!