“Great food and wonderful service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Istanbul Kebab House - MOVED

Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Colchester, VT
“Great food and wonderful service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We tried Instanbul after buying a jump on it deal a few month ago. I am a waitress so I usually cannot go out for dinner by the time I get out of work, for once I was out by 9 and wanted to use our deal. We arrived a few minutes past 9 and saw they were closed at 9 so we didn't try to enter thinking they were already closed. A man must of saw us walk away and ran out to welcome us in, assuring me it was not too late to serve us. This alone was an amazing gesture as he continued to be very friendly and patient through out our experience. I know how annoying it is to get tables right before closing but he did not seem put off at all. I think he was an owner or manager but his service was amazing! He explained everything on the menu, made suggestions and was always attentive. Very little do I find service these days that is over the top, but I found that here. And as I said, being a server also I am a little bit picky on good service. I wish I was as wonderful as he was wow! He tried the platter that had stuffed grape leaves, babaganush (sorry for bad spelling), hummus, and various spreads. All were delicious and interesting to try. I had the pasta dish, homemade tortellini like pasta in a cream sauce, so good very filling. My boyfriend had a kebab dish and I was jealous I didn't order a kebab because it was amazing! Great flavor, juicy and authentic. Loved my fig infused martini as well. Everything tasted home made and truly authentic. This place is great, the decor is a little off-putting maybe it could use a make over in there but that stuff doesn't bother me. He even let us use both jump on it coupons since they arrived as two $10 certificates unknowingly but he was gracious and let us use both at the same time since we ordered a lot. Will definitely be back for kebabs and drinks in the future!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank aprilmae419
IstanbulKebabHouse, Owner at Istanbul Kebab House, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you so much for dining with us and supporting our small business! Our family is very happy to share our cuisine and culture with you. Your kind words are what keeps us going every day! See you again soon!

Burlington, Vermont
“Friendly & Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have been here twice and both times have been very good and would return and recommend. We brought our baby and it was not a problem, he was an angel and enjoyed looking aound.

Vermont
“Delicious Turkish Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The Istanbul Kebab House provides tasty authentic middle eastern food at reasonable prices. The Babaganoush is incredible, the balloon bread a delight, the lamb tender & delicious. This is a great spot for a healthy satisfying meal.

2 Thank BellWildFire

Heidelberg, Germany
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I arrived at this restaurant in the evening after a 15 hour plane trip, exhausted and in need of some decent food ( but not a lot of food). The Istanbul Kebob House was recommended to me by a friend who has eaten at many restaurants in the Burlington area. This restaurant did not disappoint. As a single woman, I was cordially welcomed and my decision to eat only the Mezze Platter, the appetizer sampler, was quite acceptable with no pressure to order more. The Mezze Platter, which is billed for two people at $17.99 was just barely adequate amount for one person and would be much too skimpy for two people; however, I will admit each offering was delicious and unique.

Colchester, Vermont, United States
“Where was the gracious hospitality?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Vural Oktay, owner and front of the house, didn't smile or ask how my meal was till he presented the bill. He seemed put off that I used my Jumponit Deal and only ordered appetizers.

Please see my complete review here: http://www.examiner.com/list/istanbul-kebab-house-single-lady-lunch

• Visited August 2013
IstanbulKebabHouse, Owner at Istanbul Kebab House, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We are really deeply sorry for your recent visit to our restaurant. I was very sad to hear about your experience. I just wanted to say that I actually was not at the restaurant during your visit; I had left to pick up ingredients for our kunefe dessert because we had run out the day before. The person you were interacting with that day was my brother, Hasan. My brother was watching over the restaurant while I was out, and unfortunately he has only been in the United States for little over a year and he does not speak English very well. He is kind of shy to go to the tables and ask how everything is because he is afraid he will not understand the response. That being said, the experience you describe is unacceptable and we will certainly work together to improve our customer service and Hasan has actually begun to take an English class. I have no problem with any of my guests coming in and having wine or an appetizer, this is very natural. Also, we actually are very pleased with the jump on it deal. We have run this deal for a second time because we were so satisfied with it and we would consider doing it again in the future. If we were not satisfied with jump on it we would not have run a second deal. It seems there must be a miscommunication and misunderstanding that occurred during your last visit, and for this I am very sorry. We would like to see you again and I would like to personally greet you and if you would give us a second chance I would be honored to buy you lunch. Best Regards, Vural Oktay