“Eating here is a joy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Istanbul Kebab House - MOVED

Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Vermont
“Eating here is a joy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had never had Turkish food, but love kebabs and other common middle eastern dishes. I was very impressed with the authentic selection of dishes. For an appetizer, I had the cold cucumber soup. It was superb- best I have had in years. Then the beef stuffed eggplant. It just melted in my mouth. The service was friendly and efficient. The décor has many Turkish accents as well as music, not too loud. For dessert, I had a shredded mixture layered with cheese, which I would not order again. I wish I could eat nuts, as the other desserts featured an almond pudding and baklava with apples and maple syrup! Bathroom is very clean.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
IstanbulKebabHouse, Owner at Istanbul Kebab House, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you so much for dining with us and supporting our small business! Our family is very happy to share our cuisine and culture with you. Your kind words are what keeps us going every day! See you again soon!

Burlington, Vermont
“Authentic Turkish Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Having previously eaten at some great Turkish restaurants in Istanbul, we were excited to try one so close to home. We were not disappointed. The food is authentic, well prepared and well priced. My only reservation is that the restaurant tries to feature Turkish wines and they are a bit expensive for the quality. It might be worthwhile to expand the wine options with some good domestic or Spanish or Chilean red varietals. Otherwise, an excellent experience.

Visited July 2013

“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our recent lunch here. It was excellent lunch and we enjoyed it very much. The food was great, a very nice atmosphere and the service very attentive and helpful. Everything we tried was made fresh and well prepared.
We highly recommend trying the Kebab House for something different and really good.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“mmmmm lavash”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I bought an online deal to try this restaurant, and I'm glad I did. I never would have found it otherwise, and it's quite good. As far as I could tell, everything was made in house, and so it was all very fresh and prepared with love. It was obvious when we arrived that there are a lot of "regulars" who come here often and know the family and the restaurant very well - that's usually a good sign.

We started with the Lavash (a warm pita-like balloon of bread) and some Haydari (filtered yogurt with cheese and seasonings), which was incredible. I think next time, I might skip the hot entree, and just have a Meze Platter for dinner, which includes a tasting all of their cold appetizers (Haydari, Hummus, Babaganoush, etc). My husband and I both ordered the Adana Kebab, which was tasty, but not amazing. It came with good rice, and really tasty pickled red cabbage. I still had some Haydari leftover, and I spread that on the meat (a blend of ground lamb and beef) and the two complimented each other nicely.

As a lifelong lover of all things phyllo, I convinced my husband to share the house-made apple maple Baklava. It was definitely a highlight. The apple added a very subtle zing to the traditional dessert, and the flaky crust was perfect.

Service was a little slow, and the meal was more expensive than seemed appropriate, but otherwise, we left very happy, and we will almost certainly be back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Burlington, Vermont
“Authentic food, fresh and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at the Istanbul Kebab House last week and found the flavor was just what we were looking for. Hard to find good Turkish or Mediterranean food in this area; this restaurant fills the void. Fast friendly service, fresh lamb and eggplant, delicious array of appetizers left us feeling full and happy customers.