“WELL WORTH THE MONEY”

Ranked #24 of 71 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: For a culinary adventure unrivaled in the Essex, VT region, have a seat at Chef's Table at Amuse. Our chefs offer the finest, freshest local ingredients and creates a new array of courses each and every Friday and Saturday night. When you walk in and take your place at the open kitchen, you will have a front-row seat to view the culinary magic happen before your eyes. Savor traditional foods in a new light, and open your palate to tastes you may never have experienced before.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well worth the $$$$! To go to The Essex and Not experience the Chefs Table is a total loss on your vacation experience. The quality of the food is amazing. This is an absolute must...

2  Thank Lori G

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I’ll be honest, this was my very first Chef’s Table dinner. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I had various tasting menus before, but never with the chef preparing each meal right in front of us. Let me just say, it was a delight from start to finish, with the small exception of the hostess not finding our reservation.

Let me explain - we decided to dine at Amuse about a month prior to our reservation at 7pm. A few days prior, we decided to change our reservation to the Chef’s Table, which happened to be at the same time. Once we were seated, the hostess came over to my seat and asked for my last name. I figured this was because there was seating for 6 whereas there were 8 diners waiting to be seated for the Chef’s Table. I politely gave her my name and the difficult spelling. She came back a few minutes later to tell me that we had not made reservations for the Chef’s Table, only for me to correct her. The situation was rectified, and the hostess came back at the end of the meal to apologize. But, unfortunately, that experience made me feel anxious at the beginning of a very beautiful and delicious 9 course dining experience. It also reminded me that I absolutely need to get the name of any one that I speak with in the customer service industry, whether or not I feel the place is reputable.

With that being said, my husband and I had the best meal EVER at the Chef’s Table in Amuse. Chef Alex did an incredible job from start to finish. He was able to accommodate 8, not 6, people almost flawlessly and with humor. After each initial bite of almost every dish, I commented “This is delicious!” And, I meant every word I said. For example, Chef Alex created an awesome combination of lump crab, cucumber, and avocado. It sounds so simple, but it was so delicate. He also managed a perfectly cooked lamb loin with creamy rosemary potatoes. Those were just 2 of the 9 courses! Please see my posted pictures for more details.

Overall, the deliciousness of the meal completely outweighed the rough start. And, once I started researching Chef’s Tables in my area, I found that they were upwards of $150. I’ll take the $85 Chef’s Table at Amuse any day!

3  Thank MayshaZ
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Food was incredible. Great value. We had 10 courses, including a pallet cleanser and a special cocktail. Wine pairings were also excellent! I don't know where else in New England you can find that caliber of food and wine for that price!

1  Thank NatashaTripAdv
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We are veterans of the NYC chef's table scene but this stands up very well to those Michelin starred money pits. The focus here is on local produce - Cheese, meat and vegetables (those are from the garden out back). We had an 8 course meal (given the quality, $85pp is a steal). Started off with a chorizo with mango jalapeño salsa, followed by a mixed green salad with fresh Vermont Feta cheese, plum tomatoes and walnuts. The cheese course had a local Vermont cheese with house made sourdough bread. The fish course was halibut cheeks with wild mushrooms. Then we had an amouse bouche of sliced strawberries with champagne sorbet. The two meat courses followed - a pork tenderloin with sautéed fiddlehead ferns and parsnip purée, and a grilled wagyu beef. The desert course was a homemade rhubarb and hibiscus pie with walnut ice cream. Needless to say, it was quite a lot of food and very god food at that. However, food wasn't the best part of dinner - Chef Casimir kept the conversation going right through dinner - discussing the dishes, the ingredients and food in general. Was a perfectly executed dinner theatre. Made it a very memorable night indeed. The only thing I would add is perhaps a more extensive wine list and a sommelier who can guide the guests.

1  Thank KaustuvDG
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Although the price is $85pp, all in all, it was worth it, but way too much food to eat. So for some, you shouldn't opt for this choice. Wine is an additional $35pp which is three pours. Again, a little steep. Glad to say I did it once.

1  Thank Eyesofbuddha