“Love this restaurant. Chef-owned.”
Review of Belted Cow Bistro - CLOSED

Belted Cow Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have dined at the Belted Cow in Essex Junction 5 times and every time has been excellent. The menu is not extensive, but every single item is outstanding. Ambiance is quite good, but not intimate. The wine list is very good for those who appreciate that. Expect to spend at least $50/person including everything and feel that you got an outstanding meal. We had the wings (unbelieveable), the hangar steak (delicious), and the salmon with creme fraise and risotto. The chef is very vested in the menu. Just go... you'll remember this restaurant as a very good experience. The place begins to clear out around 9pm.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had the ribs. They were outstanding. I even had leftovers to take home...that almost never happens with my appetite. The other people in my party raved about their hanger steak and the salmon. The ribs were incredible...perfect amount of sauce and very tender meat and not fatty at all. We do not make it a point to go to Essex but if we are headed in that direction we will definitely return!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

During my most recent visit to the Belted Cow we sat at the bar hoping for a little added conversation with the staff. We were waited on by the owner, Caitlin, who was so down-to-earth and attentive to our needs. We loved the beet salad and appetizer portions of the fig and dug confit flatbread, as well as veal & pancetta ragu. The ingredients were so fresh, the combinations delectable, and the temperature was just right. We also had some great wine and a round of 'horny cow' - an interesting combination of hornitos tequila, creme de cassis, ginger beer and lime. Caitlin chatted with us while she mixed drinks, told us about the origins of some of their recipes (even shared the bolognese recipe with us), and talked highly of John's (chef & owner) BBQ accomplishments! (We'll have to go back another night with a huge appetite for those ribs!)
I'm not one that has to dine in Burlington all the time - I think the Belted Cow is in an easy to get to location, the ambience is charming, the service is super friendly, and the food is delicious. We'll be back!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

our recent trip to vermont was highlighted by a visit to the Belted Cow Bistro which we have greatly enjoyed in the past. the ambience was perfect and the waitstaff was very concientious and pleasant tho not overbearing. the food was the best that ive had in this area, as well as my home in massachusettes. everything was cooked to perfection and they provide the best of the local fresh foods available at any time.. as always it was a highlight of our trip and i would highly recomend it to anyone visiting the area..patrice b

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Really impressed with the service, cocktails, and menu execution at the Belted Cow. Chef and wife owned makes such a difference. Excellently spiced wings, delicious flatbread and our grilled chicken breast all excellent.