“Very good!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2012

A friend and I dined at The Belted Cow last month. It was a Friday night, but we got there early and were seated immedicatley, even earlier than our reservation. Our appetizers and entrees were delicious and the service was friendly and very good. The atmosphere is simple, but pleasing and I think this is one of the better restaurants in the area. We will certainly return!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My wife chose this restaurant for my birthday after reading many great reviews. It is located in the village/town of Essex Junction which has one of the most frustrating downtown traffic intersections in all of Vermont, but that's another story. Well... come to think about it... the Winooski, VT traffic roundabout is not much better, but anyway, moving on.

You approach the hotel building the restaurant is housed in and realize it is not a hotel anymore, but consists of a pub on one side of the building, office space upstairs where I suppose the hotel rooms once were and then you have the Belted Cow on the other side. At first we were confused and thought the pub and the Belted Cow were one large restaurant since all the parking is on the pub side of the building. No. There are two separate restaurants on the bottom floor of this now defunct hotel.

As we entered from the street entrance we were greeted by a fairly warm atmosphere divided into two sections. You have one section with a row of high tables against a row of windows and a long family style table in the middle of the room with a small bar in the back. You have another inside seating room which has normal height tables with a window that looks out onto the first room I described. You will also see a small seating room towards the front of the restaurant.

The food was exceptional. I decided on the grilled hangar steak with blue cheese butter, medium rare, which came with fries and the "roasted beets, endive and arugula salad with blue cheese vinaigrette". My wife decided on the "grain fed roasted chicken breast with new potato salad and grilled corn and tomato salsa" and she also chose the same salad I did. For dessert we both tried their special which was a coffee mug of dense chocolate mousse covered in what seemed to be a cherry compote.

My grilled hangar steak was exceptional and grilled to perfection. Thick, juicy and very tender. It completely melted in my mouth with every bite. The blue cheese which was melted on top was outstanding. The hand cut fries were crispy and delicious. My beet salad with its blue cheese vinaigrette was outstanding as well. A great meal.

My wife's grain fed roasted chicken breast was probably one of the best chicken dishes we have ever tasted. The sauce and juices the chicken was cooked in were just beyond description and the chicken itself was so moist it melted in your mouth. The potatoes were cooked to perfection and they both complimented each other wonderfully. My wife made a comment that it was the best chicken dish she can remember ever having. Who knew chicken could be so exciting.

Our desserts were very good as well, but I prefer a lighter chocolate mousse and my wife agreed. The taste was great, but it was a little too dense for us. The cherry compote on top was a nice compliment to the chocolate mousse, but I swear it had a slight alcohol overtone to it which I do not care for, but it did not ruin the overall flavor. Like I said, this was a dessert special and may not be available when you visit.

The waitstaff were all very professional and friendly.

This IS the culinary gem in Essex Junction which we have found to be a very clicky little town that only allows its residents to visit their most beautiful park called Inidian Brook Park. Very un-Vermont in spirit this town is to restrict people from nature, but at least you can visit if only for this restaurant.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Didn't like the seating (high in the air) and the cost. Sorry. I wanted to like it because I enjoyed the Lincoln Inn spot in the past.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I, along with our best friends, have visited twice now. We consider ourselves foodies. Nothing was bad about our visits, it was just average - good. Atmosphere was above average, as well was the varied but small meal selection. Some lg plates were too much and some left you wanting for more. We have not been during B-B-Q night, but we will give it a try.

Good place to go before or after a movie. Right in the heart of Essex Junction @ "the 5 corners"

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Overall 3.40 I have to admire the owners trying to reinvent themselves in this trying economy. BUT dropping your prices and also dropping the serving size so dramatically is not going to work. At the sizes we were served they need to be more in the $10.price range. Will we go back? Maybe, but I would have to hear from others that they are offering the "value" in value pricing. For a complete review of this and many other restaurants, please visit http://foodandphotosinvermont.blogspot.com/.