“Above avg. for restaurant in Essex Jct, but avg. for Chittenden County”
Review of Belted Cow Bistro - CLOSED

Belted Cow Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I, along with our best friends, have visited twice now. We consider ourselves foodies. Nothing was bad about our visits, it was just average - good. Atmosphere was above average, as well was the varied but small meal selection. Some lg plates were too much and some left you wanting for more. We have not been during B-B-Q night, but we will give it a try.

Good place to go before or after a movie. Right in the heart of Essex Junction @ "the 5 corners"

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Overall 3.40 I have to admire the owners trying to reinvent themselves in this trying economy. BUT dropping your prices and also dropping the serving size so dramatically is not going to work. At the sizes we were served they need to be more in the $10.price range. Will we go back? Maybe, but I would have to hear from others that they are offering the "value" in value pricing. For a complete review of this and many other restaurants, please visit http://foodandphotosinvermont.blogspot.com/.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

The restaurant has a pleasant ambiance, quiet, rustic decor. Service was good. The menu is seasonal and I think locally sourced as much as possible. The half bbq chicken was delicious, and we pre-ordered it the day before, as they advised. My son ordered steak and fries that he had to send back as they were both overly salted, as were my scallops and my husband's potatoes. My soup was quite good and my husband otherwise enjoyed his entree, which was a roasted chicken breast. He had the penne with veal bolognese for an app that he absolutely loved!

Reviewed November 6, 2011

We have visited the Belted Cow twice based on the generally rave review we have heard and I have to say that I am not sure what the fuss is about. The atmosphere is OK but we were there on a busy night and it was very noisy- not a lot of sound dampening materials. It was hard to carry on a conversation and it is unfortunate to feel a sense of relief when you walk outside after a couple of hours of the din...

As for the food, my meal was very tasty and pretty well seasoned (a chicken special) however almost all of the other entrees were overly salty in my opinion. The Penne Bolognaise was particularly so with the salt being the predominant flavor impression. My recollection of my previous meal was also that the food was interesting but alas way too salty. And I am not salt-phobic by any means.

Otherwise I would hope that the chef could tone the salt down and put a shaker on the table. In that case my impression of the food would likely be considerably better.

2  Thank mysanibelcondo
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were staying at the Essex (Inn) over a beautiful fall Vermont weekend, and accidentally came upon this amazing little restraurant.I had the duck confit Flatbread which was fabulous, and a lovely beet and blue cheese salad. The "piece de resistance" was starting off with a blood orange martini. The service is excellent, the food is elegant, delicious, local and yet New York quality. We spend lots of time in Vermont skiing and this little bistro is worth the drive from Burlington, Waitsfield, Stowe or Montreal for an unbelievably good dinner. Skip the long waits at the Essex and pop five minutes down the road for a thoroughly enjoyable dinner!