“Delicious local ingredients!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2011

definitely worth the drive. It is next to a bar and parking can be a little confusing. The decor is casual, clean and simple. Not noisy. The food is excellent. Scallops in a cauliflower puree. Risotto. Duck. The truffles for dessert are divine as well as chocolate creme brule. A great selection of mixed drinks. The flatbread pizza appetizer is also excellent.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We ate here this past wkend. We were staying at the Essex Inn and the wonderful girls at the SPA said we MUST go to eat there and, wow, they were right on. We ordered the duck flatbread with blue cheese and figs and it was HEAVEN, the scallops, delicious and the duck which was cooked to absolute perfection! We never eat duck but this was fabulous. The owners were so warm and welcoming and we were able to talk quite a bit. My husband and I both said we would drive down from Québec anytime just to have another wonderful meal but next time we will bring our friends.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We dined here on New Years Eve and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

The bistro sits rather innocuously at a road junction and shares the same building as a bar. The restaurant is open plan, wooden floors and although first impressions are of a large open hall, once seated you soon settle in and appreciate the cosy table layout.

The menu makes extensive use of locally sourced ingredients.

We had the grilled flatbread with duck confit and a wedge salad as starter. The flatbread comes in the form of a 10" flatbread so it is definately suitable for sharing. It was delicious!!! The wedge salad was fine but we needed to ask for a second serving of dressing.

For main course we had the steak with lobster sauce and the roast chicken. The steak was great but didnt even come close to the chicken which was incredible!! Roasted to achieve a crispy skin yet still retaining a jucit fleshy breast and thigh. It was served with bacon roasted sprouts and local mashed potato. Amazingly simple; incfedibky tasty!

Desert was pretty good (Jack Daniels Cheesecake parfait was OK; molten truffles were so-so) but after the chicken, nothing could compare!

Belted Cow is a great find. We would go back in a heartbeat. Go with the localingredients, cooked simply and you will not go wrong!

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We just returned from an excellent dinner. Everything was seasoned exquisetly. The waitress was able to describe any of the menu items and the service was timed just right. Compared to other restaurants with the same price range, the Belted Cow justifies its prices with the quality and presentation of its menu items. We have been in the past for special occasions but now will find it difficult not to return SOON.

1  Thank EJtraveler025
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I was in a party of four that had the pleasure of dining at this nicely decorated restaurant, recently renovated from a diner. We accidentally arrived 30 minutes before our reservation so I was prepared to spend the extra time at the attractive bar. However, the maitre d was able to arrange a table for us right away before I could order, so I did not have a chance to rate the bar.

As the name of the restaurant suggests, steaks are a good bet here. Two of us ordered the "hanger steak". I had never heard of this cut before so I asked our waitress, Rebecca, to explain it to us. She replied that this steak is a type of flank steak similar in taste to a sirloin ( I hope I remember this correctly - I can't locate this cut on any website). I ordered it medium rare, and it was cooked to perfection; very tasty, juicy and tender. One of our dinner companions ordered the duck, which was also cooked perfectly. To round out the ordering, one of us ordered salmon with risotto. Although cooked very well, the fish had a distinct "fishy" taste that diminished the overall result.

The atmosphere is casual, with an interesting tin roof and some antique furniture nicely displayed. The restaurant is divided into two sections; the bar/casual dining area and the more traditional area.

Rebecca was an excellent waitperson, always available when you needed her, but never obtrusive. She had a friendly attitude and was very knowledgeable about the menu.

In summary, this is a great restaurant to spend a leisurely dinner with friends.